Old October 9th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default RFI Question for HF mobile

In my HF mobile setup - a legal limit sized Bugcatcher on a 04 Suzuki
Vitara - I have some significant RFI coming from my ECM module. Starts
as soon as the ignition key is turned on - the engine doesn't need to be
running.

I've gone through the usual things for mobile installation, like bonding
the doors, exhaust system, frame, radiator and hood. Nothing on the fuel
pump, as I 'd have to remove the tank to get at it. Only makes a small
thwip upon starting, so isn't a big problem.

The ECM was verified by a small radio held at various places on the vehicle.

Any ideas? I did put some ferrites on the ECM wires. It helped some.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old October 10th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default New state of matter discovered! was RFI Question for HF mobile

Michael Coslo wrote:

Just kidding! I'm trying to get on-topic for this group.. ;^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old October 10th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:
Just kidding! I'm trying to get on-topic for this group.. ;^)

If it has to do with the medium through which amateur
radio RF signals propagate, it is not off topic. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old October 11th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:
Just kidding! I'm trying to get on-topic for this group.. ;^)

If it has to do with the medium through which amateur
radio RF signals propagate, it is not off topic. :-)

Did you think I was being sarcastic, Cecil?

The medium brings much unwanted signal to my antenna in my car. Whether
it is Art's particles, phlogiston, ether, intelligently designed
thingies, or whatever, it isn't wanted.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 12th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Denny wrote:
The medium brings much unwanted signal to my antenna in my car.
Whether
it is Art's particles, phlogiston, ether, intelligently designed
thingies, or whatever, it isn't wanted.

And your point is?

Finally, someone gets around to asking for my point. Thank you Denny!

My point in the whole thing was that in here we have BPL Threads,
Receiving 2 GHz AM signals in outer space. Strange threads about
alternative physics. While my query regarding a reasonably on-topic
mobile antenna and RFI problem didn't get a reply until I added an off
topic addition to the subject line.

Hey, I know. Just 'cuz I post it doesn't mean anyone has to answer.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old October 12th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:57:53 -0400, Michael Coslo
wrote:

While my query regarding a reasonably on-topic
mobile antenna and RFI problem didn't get a reply until I added an off
topic addition to the subject line.

Hey, I know. Just 'cuz I post it doesn't mean anyone has to answer.

Hi Mike,

A plea for mercy if ever there was one (especially when antenna ghouls
are feasting on the corpse of an old announcement of a "new antenna").
I didn't respond the first time because you clouded the topic with the
introduction of the fuel pump "thwipping" which to me sounded like you
were complaining of an admittedly minor issue.

So, to return to the first part of your post: I will bet your rig's
power or ground is sharing the same fuse/line/ground as the ECM and
noise is being conducted into your rig.

Take the power lead for your rig all the way back to the battery post.
DC ground the rig to the chassis/block connection of the battery.

Adding ferrites to the ECM leads may kill or distort impulse signals
the ECM needs to properly run things.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC