Old November 11th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Stefan Wolfe (semi-OT)

All,

Pardon the bandwidth, but can anyone provide a clue toward explaining
the situation regarding my email bounce below?

RF
________________________

Email to: :
85.158.139.19 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Invalid recipient (#5.1.1)
Giving up on 85.158.139.19.

From: "Richard Fry"

Subject: NG Invisibility?
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:29:42 -0600

Hi Stefan -

For some reason I'm not seeing your posts on r.r.a.a. The only way I
know you've posted anything is when someone else quotes some of it in
a response.

A few months ago I could see your posts using my Outlook Express NG
reader and normal NG server, but lately they are not showing up.

Do you know why this is happening, and how it can be fixed?

Thanks,

Rich (RF)

Old November 11th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Fry wrote:
All,

Pardon the bandwidth, but can anyone provide a clue toward explaining
the situation regarding my email bounce below?

RF
________________________

Email to: :
85.158.139.19 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Invalid recipient (#5.1.1)
Giving up on 85.158.139.19.
. . .

I believe this means that there is an eml.com domain, but they have no
customer with user name of stefan.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old November 12th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:56:31 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

One would be rather naive to allow his true email id appear in any
header or even the message body on usenet. You know how the software bots
harvest email id's from usenet for spamming and other purposes.

I've been transmitting in the clear, here, for 12 years.

My inbox gets about 3 SPAM a week.

My professional email has been published by the Government as a
registered contractor. THAT inbox gets 60 SPAM a day.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 12th 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Rich

A further thought.. (Seeing that you have two issues)

Yes a 550 errmsg basically means no mailbox found for that user. This is
a common thing when reply to newsgroup addresses for reasons outlined by
others.

The reason for the non visibility of the post could be a slow NNTP
(news) server as Stefan mentioned. It might also be possible that your
server (or a feed to) is validating the senders reply address. This
would be highly unusual as using a valid reply address on a newsgroup is
generally asking for spam trouble.

Validating a reply address for normal email is used in quite a few
systems as a spam prevention method. Maybe the sysop of the news server
has tried to employ this on their news server? You could ascertain this
by checking if any other posts from rr.com (the same server as Stefan's)
are coming through.

Another possibility is that your newsgroup server completely blocks
feeds from certain others that are known to be spam etc sources.
Blacklisting mails servers is quite common so I expect (but haven't
checked) the same applies to news servers. I haven't looked into any of
this but it would be fairly easy to research.

Apologies for the length.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old November 12th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I believe this means that there is an eml.com domain, but they
have no customer with user name of stefan.

That I knew, but thanks.

The real question was contained in the bounced email - why are Stefan
Wolfe's r..r.a.a. posts not appearing for me lately, when they did before?

I have "plonked" nobody (so far).

RF

Old November 12th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

One would be rather naive to allow his true email id appear in any
header or even the message body on usenet. You know how the software bots
harvest email id's from usenet for spamming and other purposes.

I've been transmitting in the clear, here, for 12 years.

My inbox gets about 3 SPAM a week.

I've been running bareback since I've been on the net also.

"Anonymous" people so often have a reason for it, and it usually isn't
the one they tell you. And this presumed anonymity is usually
accompanied by a degree of obnoxiousness

If a person posts, they can be found. If it is so important to a person
to not be found, they should not ever post. Simple. And a person
interested in privacy should never ever be a ham. Our info is spread all
over the world and open for all to see.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old November 12th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Fry wrote:
I believe this means that there is an eml.com domain, but they
have no customer with user name of stefan.

That I knew, but thanks.

The real question was contained in the bounced email - why are Stefan
Wolfe's r..r.a.a. posts not appearing for me lately, when they did before?

I have "plonked" nobody (so far).

Ahh, maybe you're just lucky? ;^)

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old November 12th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Even more off topic.. Sorry!

I have to disagree with you Mike. Depending on how you publish your
email address you *may* attract machine generated email trash. My view
is that it isn't worth being blase about and steps should be taken to
minimize the risk. Farming of news articles is only source of such data
so whatever steps one takes has to cover other possibilities.

I personally use throw away addresses that when they attract too much
spam I simply change them. Many ISP's nowadays will let you have a
number of addresses so it is relatively easy to maintain a set of
"public" and "private" ones. At my place of work it is even easier as we
run our own SMTP/25 mailserver. I generate addresses whenever someone
needs to register or subscribe to something on line and dump them when
their persistent advertising gets irritating to us!

I agree however with your comment about hams and privacy. The VK
equivalent of the FCC also has an online database complete with full
address details! I am not hard to find, just difficult to get to!

Lets face it though, obnoxious people do need to be anonymous. I
certainly don't want to now them! grin

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Michael Coslo wrote:

"Anonymous" people so often have a reason for it, and it usually isn't
the one they tell you.
----
And a person interested in privacy should never ever be a ham.

Old November 13th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The abhorrence of anonyminity by those of us who live in, or come from, a
rural society (or an academic society) is palpable. One who tries to hide
must have a nefarious reason to do so. SPAM avoidance is a make-weight
reason. ... my opinion. Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

Old November 13th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
snip

One who tries to hide must have a nefarious reason to do so. SPAM

avoidance is a make-weight
reason.

I'm happy for you that you have the courage of your convictions. Sure, I
"hide" for spam avoidance but I add my callsign a couple of times a month
for anybody who cares to do a lookup.

73,
Sal M. "Not a nefarious bone in my body" O'Nella

C.W. Wolfe Communications MikeS Swap 1 February 16th 05 04:42 AM
Chara Jack Watling Stefan Marks Alejandro Saracino advdusagirl Scanner 1 July 8th 04 05:52 PM