Old May 6th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Palstar ZM30 or Kuranishi BR-210

Andy wrote:
How long does the Ni-Cads take to charge in the MFJ-259B and how long will
they run for?

I use my MFJ-259B with an 'outboard' small 12V-0.8Ah SLA battery; never
even considered internal batteries.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old May 6th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy,
I own an MFJ269 Pro, and us an external SLA battery without any internal
batteries fitted , and no problems at all.

I have the SLA in a small shoulder bag and connected to the external DC
socket, makes the unit very protable and lasts for hours.

73
John
VK2KCE

Old May 7th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
If I used the 12 volt external socket to supply power to the unit from a
external gel battery, would it damage the unit if there were no Ni-Cads in
the unit?

No, no problems whatsoever. After trying internal
batteries, everyone I know has gone to an external
gell cell.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old May 7th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 6, 2:27*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Andy wrote:
How long does the Ni-Cads take to charge in the MFJ-259B and how long will
they run for?

IMO, Ni-Cads are a royal pain in the neck. Instead,
I use a YUASA gell cell NP1.2-12 at ~$20. I Velcro
it to the MFJ-259B as it has almost the same form
factor. It is easily recharged using an Astron 12v
(13.8v) power supply, i.e. no "battery charger"
required. After using the NP1.2-12 to power the
MFJ-259B, I would NEVER go back to standard batteries.

If one removes the battery holder, the NP1.2-12 will
almost fit inside the MFJ-259B. When I get time, I am
going to modify the MFJ to accomplish that feat. MFJ
missed a selling point by not making the 259B case a
couple of mm larger to accommodate a standard gell cell.
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

I have my gel cell rigged up in a pack I can put on my belt. I also
have an additional 5 and 3 volt regulator circuit so I can use the
pack with my digital cameras. Even used it to inflate an air mattress.
My wife wants me rig up a connection for her cellphone. I am
intentionally dragging my feet on that one.

Jimmie

Old May 7th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Here's what I did to solve the rechargable battery issue with the
MFJ-269B antenna analyzer.

The charge rate is way too slow using the internal charge circuit, so
to speed up the charging process using intenral AA NiMH internal
batteries, in the factory battery holder, I installed a power barrel
jack on the bottom of the meter. To charge, I plug in an external
charger into this new jack, and when plugged in this disconnects the
batteries and charger from the unit. You can NOT simply plug a charger
into the factory ext. power jack, so now my analyzer has two jacks, of
DIFFERENT sizes so I do not accidently plug the wrong thing into the
wrong jack. I inserted a 0.5amp fuse inside the charger, in series
with the + battery wire so that if your external charger is set for
too fast a charge rate the fuse will blow (e.g. I have a charger which
can be set for various charge rates, for AAA to D size batteries,
NiMH, etc., up to 50w total).

73,
Dick N7EMW
www.repdesign.us

Old May 8th 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Excellent advise on how to power the Analyser.

Has anyone used one or both of these analysers, Palstar ZM30 or the
Kuranishi BR-210?

Apart from the build quality, are they any better than the MFJ-259B?

Andy

Old May 8th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

@w5dxp.com wrote in message
Andy wrote:
If I used the 12 volt external socket to supply power to the unit from a
external gel battery, would it damage the unit if there were no Ni-Cads
in the unit?

No, no problems whatsoever. After trying internal
batteries, everyone I know has gone to an external
gell cell.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I guess I don't run my 259B long enough to experience battery life
problems. I think the longest I've ever used it continuously is about 45
minutes. I put a full bank of 2500 maH camera batteries in it (NIMH),
and have left it connected to the charger (that came with the 259B) for
months on end. The batteries seem to show a full charge when I pull the
unit out for use, and don't appear to be compromised by sitting on the
charger for literally months at a time between uses.

I'm sure the gel cells work better, but I, for one, have had no reason
to upgrade from the NIMH internal cells that I've been using for two
years. Then again, I don't use it for hours on end, either.
Old May 9th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hasan,

Did you have to convert or modify your MFJ-259B to be able to charge the
NiMH batteries in the unit?

73 Andy

Old May 9th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

@w5dxp.com wrote in message
Andy wrote:
[...]

No, Andy, I've been using it right out of the box since day one. I put
the high capacity NIMH batteries in it the first day, plugged it in,
played a while, then left it plugged in and periodically checked to see
what the voltage was when I turned it on. It was obvious that it was
charging and that it wouldn't cook the batteries, so I let it
run....permanently. The only time the charger has been taken off the
batteries is with power failures (two or three lasting a few hours) over
the last few years, as well as for use periods less than 45 minutes
outdoors.

I understand how people might not be able to get hours and hours of use
with any internal pack, but for my uses, not exceeding half an hour at a
time, I was left completely unaware that there was a battery life
problem. I'll go check to see what the batteries register on startup
right now...hang on...

14.1 volts with power supply (charging wall wart) disconnected.
14.4 volts with power supply connected. (batteries in place), read the
screen on startup, what do you get?

10 cells at 1.4 v nominal for a full charge. It sure looks to me like
the charger is working properly, and I have a full charge on the
batteries. I'm sorry...I just don't see the problem. After months and
months of continuous charging of the batteries (more like a couple
years!) I don't see the batteries as cooked, nor do I have a problem
running the unit for 45 mins at a time. The batteries seem to have a
full charge right now, and show no evidence of overcharging.

I'm not sure what more I'm supposed to get ...the batteries charge to
what appears to be full capacity, and the charger doesn't seem to cook
them when left on for many months. I have no idea what the "on time"
capacity of the 2500 maH batteries should be with my 259b. I can only
say that for my requirements (less than an hour total use each time),
mine works fine. I have no use for an external battery pack.

73,

....hasan, N0AN

WTD: Kuranishi Dev. Meter manual K3HVG Boatanchors 1 August 27th 06 06:54 PM
ZM30 analyzer PA3HGT Antenna 2 February 10th 06 10:47 AM
Palstar R30 Series Lew Rain Shortwave 6 September 8th 04 07:37 AM
f.s. palstar r30 Murata Lemwnash Equipment 0 April 17th 04 12:07 AM