Old August 1st 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Mount for 4 band Vertical on Travel Trailer.

Anyone mounted a 4 band (or 5 band) on a travel trailer or other RV.
Ive a 4BTV coming and want to just mount it easily on my trailer when
parked to work contacts while camping.

Scotty W7PSK
Old August 1st 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"R.Scott" wrote in message
Anyone mounted a 4 band (or 5 band) on a travel trailer or other RV.
Ive a 4BTV coming and want to just mount it easily on my trailer when
parked to work contacts while camping.

Scotty W7PSK

Build a mount to attach to the tongue of the trailer. 73's

Old August 1st 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Knowing the structure is important. Most TTs are flimsy without adding
reinforcement. I added a mast and rotor for VHF+ ops. For HF, I have
tended to stick with the mobile antenna and add a section of RG8 into the
trailer via pass-through. For 40 and 80 I add a 25' length of wire from the
tip to a nearby support and load up as an inverted L or put up a Multi band
Fan dipole. I hate trap antennas. No-workie on MARS.

Old August 1st 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Have used a 4btv on FD from my trailer but used a cement block to stand the
antenna in the clear and added some counterpoise wires (grounds are hard to
find in the mountains). The tongue mount probably works but will need to be
carefully tuned and will put RF in the shack.

The inverted L extension to the mobile antenna gave good performance with
the least setup hassle.

Old August 1st 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Anyone mounted a 4 band (or 5 band) on a travel trailer or other RV.
Ive a 4BTV coming and want to just mount it easily on my trailer when
parked to work contacts while camping.

Scotty W7PSK

A couple suggestios: Does your trailer have a ladder in the back? If
so, consider fabricating a custom bracket, fastened to the ladder, and
mount your vertical on that ( off to the side so as not to impinge on use
of the ladder). I used two heavy aluminum pieces u-bolted to the ladder
about 4 feet apart to hold my vertical antenna support mast. I bonded
the bottom of my ladder to the chassis underneath with wide tinned copper
braid strap and it makes an excellent counterpoise for my HF vertical
mounted on the ladder.

If the trailer has a square bumper on the rear, that is another
possibility for locating a mounting bracket with readily available
clamps.

If you can't do this, you might consider buying, of building a simple
vertical support of a steel tube welded to a flat plate. Simply park the
trailer tire on the flat plate, which will hold the antenna base very
firmly in place.

Ed K7AAT

Old August 1st 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 31, 11:36*pm, "R.Scott" wrote:
Anyone mounted a 4 band (or 5 band) on a travel trailer or other RV.
Ive a 4BTV coming and want to just mount it easily on my trailer when
parked to work contacts while camping.

Scotty W7PSK

Since you are going to install it when you set up and remove it when
you tear down why bother to put it on the trailer at all. You could
hang it from a tree limb or mount it on a stake in the ground then
roll out some ground wires.

Jimmie
Old August 3rd 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Since you are going to install it when you set up and remove it when
you tear down why bother to put it on the trailer at all. You could
hang it from a tree limb or mount it on a stake in the ground then
roll out some ground wires.

Jimmie

That's the down side, Most places I go would preclude running ground
wires.

That's why I'm looking to tie something to the frame to give somewhat
of a good ground.