Old September 5th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

"Jim-NN7K" . wrote in message
Sal M. Onella wrote:
I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a

one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of

the
cable, near its middle.

I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Some audio cables are

made
up with discontinuous shields for elimination of ground loops but I've

not
seen it done for RF.

Ideas?

All the above have merit-- One other use- in SOME installations, there
is a requirement to do D.C. isolation - Removal ot part of the sheath,
jumpered by a Capacitor (but if that is what this for, the cap would
be in place). And, as to the first comment, such a loop would have been
used as a direction Finder (the space between the broken shields was
the "sense area of the loop, and, if remember right, you "Null" in the
direction that the "loop" is perpendicular to. - Jim NN7K

Thanks to all. I really think we have it nailed down.

After the first response mentioned a small loop, I did some searching and
found diagrams of loops, complete with some recommended tuning capacitors,
etc. Today, I dimly recall a metal project box with three coax connectors
on it. (Might still have it if it didn't sell.) My first thought was
"balun" but a homemade balun doesn't have three coax connectors -- it has
just one plus two non-coax connectors. THAT may have been the feed part of
the loop. I don't recall if anything else was in that box.

With the gap section and the feed section, then various pairs of coax
jumpers would have comprised the remainder of the loop for different
experimental sizes. I s'pose I should follow in the SK's footsteps and
build myself a loop or two.

Ain't hammin' grand?!?

Old September 5th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim-NN7K wrote:

All the above have merit-- One other use- in SOME installations, there
is a requirement to do D.C. isolation - Removal ot part of the sheath,
jumpered by a Capacitor (but if that is what this for, the cap would be
in place). And, as to the first comment, such a loop would have been
used as a direction Finder (the space between the broken shields was
the "sense area of the loop, and, if remember right, you "Null" in the
direction that the "loop" is perpendicular to. - Jim NN7K

Actually, the active loop is the outside of the shield, and the gap is
the feedpoint. Shielded loops have been discussed at great length on
this newsgroup (not because they're complicated, but because they're
impossible to understand until a person is willing to let go of some
common misconceptions). Anyone interested in these can find the previous
postings via a search at groups.google.com.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old September 5th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote in
treetonline:
the feedpoint. Shielded loops have been discussed at great length on
this newsgroup (not because they're complicated, but because they're
impossible to understand until a person is willing to let go of some
common misconceptions). Anyone interested in these can find the

Sadly, some of the misconceptions are propagated in ARRL publications. It
is understandable that people have the wrong idea!

Owen
Old September 5th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
treetonline...

Actually, the active loop is the outside of the shield, and the gap is
the feedpoint. Shielded loops have been discussed at great length on
this newsgroup (not because they're complicated, but because they're
impossible to understand until a person is willing to let go of some
common misconceptions). Anyone interested in these can find the previous
postings via a search at groups.google.com.

Well, that blows my thinking to pieces. Back to the drawing board.

Old September 5th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Jim-NN7K wrote:

[...]

FWIW, there are several projects in the ARRL pubs, mostly for RDF, that
use a short piece of coax exactly as described as a loop.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old September 6th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
..

FWIW, there are several projects in the ARRL pubs, mostly for RDF, that
use a short piece of coax exactly as described as a loop.

I've seen some in books and on the 'net. Years ago, I did a one-week job on
a Coast Guard cutter and I got to see some HF loop antennas that are
standard issue for cutters. I do not recall with certainty whether they
were transmit or receive or both, but I think they were both, but not at the
same time, as certain USN fanwire antennas are.

HRO in San Diego usually has at least one HF loop on display.

"Sal"

Old September 7th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 6, 12:09*am, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:
wrote in message

.

FWIW, there are several projects in the ARRL pubs, mostly for RDF, that
use a short piece of coax exactly as described as a loop.

I've seen some in books and on the 'net. *Years ago, I did a one-week job on
a Coast *Guard cutter and I got to see some HF loop antennas that are
standard issue for cutters. *I do not recall with certainty whether they
were transmit or receive or both, but I think they were both, but not at the
same time, as certain USN fanwire antennas are.

HRO in San Diego usually has at least one HF loop on display.

"Sal"

Ive seen sensors for SWR made his way. Slide a wire under the shield
from each end and termiate them in the middle with a resistor.

Jimmie

Coaxial Cable considerations for HF jawod Antenna 5 April 10th 07 03:34 AM
RG-6 Coaxial Cable for Ham use Nod Dloyd Antenna 10 April 8th 07 02:13 PM
FS: RG-223/U COAXIAL CABLE W6KRC Swap 0 November 18th 06 02:46 AM
FS: Coaxial Cable AAA RF Products Swap 0 May 12th 05 10:59 PM
FS: Mil Spec RG 223/U Coaxial Cable AAA RF PRODUCTS Homebrew 0 April 30th 05 12:17 AM