Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 3rd 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Does NEC-2 model wires as solid or hollow?

I've been using 4Nec2, a freeware antenna modeling program based on
NEC-2 (Numerical Electromagnetic Code). I'm wondering if anyone could
provide some insight as to just how it models current at the ends of
wires that are not connected to anything (a.k.a. "free ends" or "open
ends").

Does NEC-2 model "end caps" at free ends, which is equivalent to
assuming wires are solid, or does it just set the current equal to
zero at the free ends, which is equivalent to assuming wires are
hollow? Is it possible that it does both, but the specific model is
determined by the choice of computational kernel (extended vs.
standard)?

I've tried looking through some of the NEC-2 documentation, but I
can't find a definitive answer.

-Dave, K3WQ