Old June 13th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default "Panel" style UHF DTV antenna?

On May 31, 7:31*am, Usual Suspect wrote:
I've had one on the roof since Dec 2004 in 90274 35 miles from Mt
Wilson split 4 ways with no preamps. It's a fine little UHF

antenna
and while they say it can do upper VHF, I have serious doubts.

I'll
find out for certain in 2 weeks.

Thanks, G, for answering the question *asked*. I appreciate it. :-)

The issue re. rights may be interesting to some, but was not asked.

(Man, the
signal-to-noise ration on USENET is *so* low...)

If you think of it, please post a follow-up in 2 weeks.

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

Well, it's the 'big day' and while we have an excellent antenna at
work, I didn't think the little 'SquareShooter' would be adequate for
VHF-hi (channels 7-13) DTV. I brought home the spectrum analyzer to
check out the signal before I tried a re-scan. So far 2 of the 4 VHF-
hi have completed the change over. KABC-7 and KCAL-9 are in their new
homes. The spectrum analyzer showed better than 20dB carrier to noise
which should be OK. I then connected to the computer tuner and it
works very well. I must say I am totally surprised about that as the
analog stations 7-13 were SO weak as to not even SEE a locked umage
from analog. As it is, it appears to be as good as the UHF DTV. If Fox
11 and KCOP-13 are as good as 7 and 9 I won't need to change a thing.

Old June 13th 09, 07:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

wrote in message

So far 2 of the 4 VHF-
hi have completed the change over. KABC-7 and KCAL-9 are in their new
homes. The spectrum analyzer showed better than 20dB carrier to noise
which should be OK. I then connected to the computer tuner and it
works very well. I must say I am totally surprised about that as the
analog stations 7-13 were SO weak as to not even SEE a locked umage
from analog. As it is, it appears to be as good as the UHF DTV. If Fox
11 and KCOP-13 are as good as 7 and 9 I won't need to change a thing.

=======================================

I got KABC but, so far, no KCAL. I'm in San Diego, so my situation will be
variable, depending on the ducting. I think I've lost KCBS, since they
moved to KCAL's old channel, 43, which has a local LPTV station sitting on
it. I still have some more antenna tricks to try. KCAL on 43 was always
very "iffy."

I've also lost KCET; There's a Mexican station (full power) on 28. KOCE
generally good.

Old June 13th 09, 09:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Jun 12, 11:56*pm, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

My optimism was premature. KABC is better than I expected and KCAL was
marginal. KTTV-11 Fox is way down in the mud and KCOP-13 is worse than
11, neither of which is usable at all. Keep in mind this is that
little SquareShooter (without the preamp) which is good for UHF isn't
going to make it for VHF hi. Oh well, some more cable along with a UHF/
VHF splitter (combiner) and that big Winegard in the garage will
hopefully cure it.

At 12:30am 6-13-09 KWHY-22 analog was still on the air but all that's
left are a few low power analogs - as they told us.

Old June 13th 09, 09:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Jun 13, 1:08*am, wrote:

At 12:30am 6-13-09 KWHY-22 analog was still on the air but all

that's
left are a few low power analogs - as they told us.

Dummy me, I just remembered KWHY is one of the LA nightlight stations
that will stay on another month with an infomercial on how to get your
TV converted.

Old June 14th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:10:24 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

(...)
The solution is called a "Franklin Antenna." It would be disguised as
an antenna cable (or telephone cable, or power line, or other
innocuous wire) that trails up (to something innocuous), but never
connects (who is going to look? and if they did, it could always be a
dummy connection).

A Franklin antenna is a stacked, gain antenna that is very colinear
(hence the cable motif). These are most often described on the Web
for home wi-fi or bluetooth applications, but with scaling you can
bring them back down into the TV VHF band. A quick search gives:
http://www.para.org.ph/membersarticl...s%20-%2021.pdf
which on page 11 gives a pictorial representation (I can't say I vouch
for the entire paper, but it is representative of the topic).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

The only problem is that a Franklin antenna is usually vertically
polarized. TV is horizontal.... well some station have a vertically
polarized component, but it's mostly horizontal.
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/68820
The Franklin antenna is not very wide band, covering perhaps a few UHF
channels, but certainly not the entire UHF TV band.

Topic drift: Franklin or AMOS antennas for Wi-Fi. NEC2 deck is under
the "main" page and is easily scaled for your favorite TV channel.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/AMOS-7/index.html
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/AMOS-5/index.html

I don't have photos of the "disguise" TV antenna I installed on top of
a 175ft redwood tree. It was vertically polarized, crammed into a PVC
pipe, and filled with urethane foam (fence post compound). 20dB gain
wide band GaAsFET amp at the base. It was painted brown, to match the
tree trunk.

Performance was a disaster. There wasn't enough gain so most stations
were noisy. With an omnidirectinal pattern, it did a superior job of
converting reflections from the surrounding mountains, into obnoxious
and irritating ghosts. 4 tries, and no luck.

The plan was to install a pully near the top of the tree, and use a
rope to raise and lower verious experiments. Unfortunately, I used a
rope that did not do well in the sun. After about a year of trial and
error, the rope crumbled. The pully is still in the tree and can
probably be used again.

As for other disguise antennas, I've done some tinkering
characterizing various road signs for operation as antennas. The
aluminum sign is a tolerable radiator, but the galvanized steel
support is a problem. I've also seen all manner of urethane
sculptures, designed to resemble a tree, cactus, building materials,
lamps, boulders, etc, each with an antenna behind or inside. Also
fiberglass panels for hiding antennas in the sidewalk.

I've also crammed wi-fi repeaters inside a plastic owl. I've
disguised a wi-fi antenna by making it look like a giant bird nest. If
the neighbors asked, I told the owner to tell them it was a Roc nest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roc_(mythology)
For HF, I've loaded into the rain gutters, installed chicken wire
under the carpeting for a ground, and strung wires between telephone
poles.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 14th 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Jun 13, 10:10*am, Richard Clark wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:08:24 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:
Oh well, some more cable along with a UHF/
VHF splitter (combiner) and that big Winegard in the garage will
hopefully cure it.

By this little snippet of what was intended as an aside may, in

fact,
be your solution for VHF. *Given your predicament of

"code" (arbitrary
or otherwise), you can put the cable to work.

The solution is called a "Franklin Antenna." *It would be disguised

as
an antenna cable (or telephone cable, or power line, or other
innocuous wire) that trails up (to something innocuous), but never
connects (who is going to look? *and if they did, it could always

be a
dummy connection).

A Franklin antenna is a stacked, gain antenna that is very colinear
(hence the cable motif). *These are most often described on the Web
for home wi-fi or bluetooth applications, but with scaling you can
bring them back down into the TV VHF band. *A quick search

gives:http://www.para.org.ph/membersarticl...velopment%20of
%20Coll...
which on page 11 gives a pictorial representation (I can't say I

vouch
for the entire paper, but it is representative of the topic).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

I hung the spectrum analyzer on the Winegard all channel antenna in
the rafters of the garage. The VHF channels are strong and free of
response 'bumps' (meaning no serious multipath) and the UHF may be
better than the squareshooter on the roof. Tomorrow I shoot a hole in
the stucco wall to get the new RG-6 coax (crazy guy at Torrance
Electronics sold me 100 ft for $9) pulled in to the splitter to feed
the computers and STB. It looks like it will be good.