Old May 31st 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default "Panel" style UHF DTV antenna?

WInegard makes an antenna-in-a-box, the SS-1000 which lists ~4 db gain over
the UHF TV range:

http://tinyurl.com/nqpzm2

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based on its
form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-element
type antennae on the mast.

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3 around a common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased coverage.

Has anyone experience with the SS-1000? Or can recommend a similar style
antenna?

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

Old May 31st 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On May 30, 5:28*pm, Usual Suspect wrote:
WInegard makes an antenna-in-a-box, the SS-1000 which lists ~4 db

gain over
the UHF TV range:

http://tinyurl.com/nqpzm2

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based

on its
form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-

element
type antennae on the mast.

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3

around a common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased

coverage.

Has anyone experience with the SS-1000? Or can recommend a similar

style
antenna?

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

I've had one on the roof since Dec 2004 in 90274 35 miles from Mt
Wilson split 4 ways with no preamps. It's a fine little UHF antenna
and while they say it can do upper VHF, I have serious doubts. I'll
find out for certain in 2 weeks.

Old May 31st 09, 08:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

"Usual Suspect" wrote in message
obal.net...

snip

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3 around a

common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased coverage.

You may encounter some undesired affects from joining antennas. If it
works, fine, but if it doesn't, consider switching among the three at the TV
set(s).

The problem is that the prime signal will be "contaminated" by signal pickup
from the other antenna(s). The degree of contamination may or not affect
reception.

Good luck.

Old May 31st 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

I've had one on the roof since Dec 2004 in 90274 35 miles from Mt
Wilson split 4 ways with no preamps. It's a fine little UHF antenna
and while they say it can do upper VHF, I have serious doubts. I'll
find out for certain in 2 weeks.

Thanks, G, for answering the question *asked*. I appreciate it. :-)

The issue re. rights may be interesting to some, but was not asked. (Man, the
signal-to-noise ration on USENET is *so* low...)

If you think of it, please post a follow-up in 2 weeks.

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

Old May 31st 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Sat, 30 May 2009 21:32:58 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

In article .net,
Usual Suspect wrote:

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based on
its form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display
bare-element type antennae on the mast.

I don't believe the local code has any say in the matter.

But if you want to give up your rights...

I believe what Elmo says is correct.

Check out: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

which says, in part:

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October
1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation,
maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The
rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes
that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in
Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits
most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation,
maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation,
maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality
signal.

In this ruling, the FCC pre-empted not only state and local government
regulations but HOA CCR's and landlords' restrictions on renters.

This came about because the broadcasters have a strong lobby, and they
didn't want widespread limitations on receiving their over-the-air or
satellite transmissions.

Old May 31st 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Your question was framed around an assertion that is not true.

As such, your question is moot. You, however, want an answer to a moot
question? And when your false assertion is explained to you as being
false, complete with details, you consider that "noise"?

"How many baseballs can fit inside the soul of a poet?"

I asked a question. I didn't ask Is my assertion correct? Assume it is
(regardless FCC mandates).

You (and others) decided to answer an unasked question.

But let's not drag this on. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used this
antenna or other like it.

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

Old May 31st 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On May 30, 8:28*pm, Usual Suspect wrote:
WInegard makes an antenna-in-a-box, the SS-1000 which lists ~4 db gain over
the UHF TV range:

http://tinyurl.com/nqpzm2

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based on its
form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-element
type antennae on the mast.

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3 around a common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased coverage..

Has anyone experience with the SS-1000? Or can recommend a similar style
antenna?

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

Hey OM
This si just a rehash of another post awhile back in this here forum.
But DTV will never go away so:

I seen one on youtube, there are a tonne of them, but this, to the
best of my recollection, one used:

1pc 1x2 2ft long board
5 steel wire coat hangers
dry wall screws
and a 75 ohm to 300 ohm balun

to make a 4 bay bowtie antenna

Ideally that's 6 db over, just a single bowtie.

And an 8 bay bowtie would be 9db.

I the real world it would be slightly less

Capture area of stacked antennas is greater, so less UHF fading. Like
when the wind blows trees branches around and when cars and trucks go
by.

But nothing like watching a pixelated picture. Unless you got a good
memory in that set box.

73 OM
de n8zu
Old May 31st 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Sat, 30 May 2009 17:28:18 -0700, Usual Suspect
wrote:

WInegard makes an antenna-in-a-box, the SS-1000 which lists ~4 db gain over
the UHF TV range:
http://tinyurl.com/nqpzm2

4dB isn't very much gain. Compare this with some other available
antennas:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
Unfortunately, the SS-1000 and SS-1000 are not listed.

Depending on the distance between your apartment and the antenna
location, the +4dB antenna gain may not be sufficient to compensate
for the coax loss. Are you in a weak signal or strong signal area? Is
an antenna amplifier justified? If so, you might need 3 amplifiers
for your 3 different directions.

Also, a 4dB gain antenna will not have a very directional antenna
pattern or be particularly directional. My guess(tm) is perhaps 120
degrees wide. There probably won't be much difference in signal
strength if your 3 directions are within the beam width.

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based on its
form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-element
type antennae on the mast.

As others have mentioned, this is mostly incorrect. The problem is in
the interpretation of the word "unreasonable", which might be
interpreted in a variety of ways. Without details on your situation,
I can't comment on this.

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3 around a common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased coverage.

Mast? Welcome to "unreasonable". The FCC 47.1.4000 clause that
limits antenna installation has nothing to say about the supporting
structure. While the HOA may not be able to prevent you from
installing an antenna, they most certainly will have something to say
about the design and construction of the supporting structure. They
may also demand that it be installed by a licensed and insured
installer to protect themselves against subsequent litigation. I know
you don't want to hear about all this, but methinks you should at
least be warned before blundering onward.

Has anyone experience with the SS-1000? Or can recommend a similar style
antenna?

No recommendations. Antennas are sized and designed to solve specific
problems. The design required in a strong signal area is quite
different from one in a weak signal area, in an urban canyon, for an
indoor installation, or if it is intended to be disguised or
minimalized. It's also important to know the lowest VHF frequency or
channel that the antenna is expected to operate as this has a huge
effect on the physical size of the antenna. Without a clue as to your
situation, it's impossible to offer an endorsement or alternative. If
you find it inconvenient to disclose such details, I suggest you use:
http://www.antennaweb.org
to optimize your selection and proposed installation.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 31st 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

wrote:

but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-element
type antennae on the mast.

Seeing that you are forced into this, you will suffer by the same
degree. In comparisons to others in the field, it is good by
technical standards - for UHF (low VHF is just hopes and dreams). In
comparisons to others in the field, it is mediocre by cost standards.

So you suffer in cost and coverage (if you want VHF); and form factor
is always going to reign.

This should come as no surprise, certainly.

Or can recommend a similar style
antenna?

To suffer equally? As you really lead with your chin ("local code"
and hewing to not arguing that line) and don't offer any technical
specifics (where you live, what stations, what directions, what
distances, what bands, what frequencies, what height mast - in short
nothing) you might fill a 16x16x4 inch box with low denomination
bills, attach a cord and see how that works. If it doesn't, then send
the cash filled box to Winegard and ask that they fill the box with an
antenna in return for what they find inside. It may work equally
well.

Sorry for the lengthy answer that sums up to "maybe," short questions
often require even more elaboration to upgrade to "perhaps."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 31st 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

"Usual Suspect" wrote in message
obal.net...
WInegard makes an antenna-in-a-box, the SS-1000 which lists ~4 db gain
over
the UHF TV range:

http://tinyurl.com/nqpzm2

I must say at the outset that I am hesitant to buy an antenna based on its
form-factor, but I'm forced by the local code to not display bare-element
type antennae on the mast.

I do like the panel style for the reason that I can arrange 3 around a
common
mast, aimed at remote cities, and join the outputs for increased coverage.

Has anyone experience with the SS-1000? Or can recommend a similar style
antenna?

Thanks.
--
Al, the usual

Hi Al

The gain of an antenna is related to its radiation pattern shape.
When the signal ois divided between several antennas, the "gain" of the
system is lowered.

For instance, when the "gain" of the antenna is the result of its
directuivity being restricted to 180 degrees azimuth, and the second
(identical) antenna is mounted to cover the other 180 degrees, the "gain of
the both" is 3 dB. lower than the gain of either antenna alone.

If the "remote cities" produce signals that are weak enough that you are
required to have antenna gain to receive them, you may need a switch that
disconnects all but one antenna for channels from that city.

Jerry KD6JDJ