Old August 15th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Aluminum spreader quad

I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie
Old August 15th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie

A few years ago, I had a Hygain 3-band quad with aluminum spreaders.

"Strategically placed" insulating rods divided the spreaders into
non-resonant, neutral segments.

Philo

Old August 16th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 15, 4:30*pm, "Philo" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie

A few years ago, I had a Hygain 3-band quad with aluminum spreaders.

"Strategically placed" insulating rods divided the spreaders into
non-resonant, neutral segments.

Philo

I was thinking about a single band quad. I figured that on a single
band quad the length of the spreader would be either 1.414 or .707
(depending on how you see this) times the lenght of one side of the
quad. I dont think this would be close to being resonant.

Jimmie
Old August 16th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JIMMIE wrote:
I was thinking about a single band quad. I figured that on a single
band quad the length of the spreader would be either 1.414 or .707
(depending on how you see this) times the lenght of one side of the
quad. I dont think this would be close to being resonant.

Are the two 0.35WL spreaders shorted together in the center
or are there four 0.175WL spreaders insulated in the center?
Seems to me, this could easily be modeled using EZNEC.
I've never done it but I'll bet others have.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old August 16th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 16, 9:54*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I was thinking about a single band quad. I figured that on a single
band quad the length of the spreader would be either 1.414 or .707
(depending on how you *see this) times the lenght of one side of the
quad. I dont think this would be close to being resonant.

Are the two 0.35WL spreaders shorted together in the center
or are there four 0.175WL spreaders insulated in the center?
Seems to me, this could easily be modeled using EZNEC.
I've never done it but I'll bet others have.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, *http://www.w5dxp.com

Haven't tried to build it yet, just kicking around the idea since I
have the aluminum and not the fiberglass.

Jimmie

Old August 17th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Jimmie

Some years ago I made a 3 el 10M quad that was actually a bow tie
arrangement. ie the spreaders were "driven" and the side "elements" were
rope.

Probably not what you are thinking about but it did look like a 3 el 20m
quad! I should have modeled it in later years but never got around to
it. It worked okay at the time but I wasnt exactly doing any extensive
testing.

Does modeling the metal spreaders give you any ideas?

Cheers Bob

Old August 17th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JIMMIE wrote:
I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie

Ive never really gotten in to modeling antennas that much. Ill
probably just build something and see what happens.

Jimmie
Old August 18th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JIMMIE wrote:
I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie

Ive never really gotten in to modeling antennas that much. Ill
probably just build something and see what happens.

Jimmie

I slid Al tubing over the supports for my two meter quad except for
the last two inches toward the tip and I cant tell any difference in
operation VSWR is the same. AGC voltage on my receiver is the same as
usual for a local repeater. Whether or not the boom ends of the tubing
were connected together also had no discernible effect.

Jimmie
Old August 19th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

There is an article in QST april 1992 about building a 5 band 2 element quad
with aluminum tubing KC6T is the one who built it. It also is in 2007 ARRL
Handbook. Shows & describes how the spreders are built with dinensions....

Old August 19th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 19, 2:11*am, "Howard K0ACF" wrote:
There is an article in QST april 1992 about building a 5 band 2 element quad
with aluminum tubing KC6T is the one who built it. It also is in 2007 ARRL
Handbook. Shows & describes how the spreders are built with dinensions....."JIMMIE" wrote in message

I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I ll see if I can pull that up in the QST archives. I may even
have that handbook.

Jimmie