Old September 8th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The ultimate tilted monopole

On Sep 8, 1:02*pm, Richard Fry wrote:
On Sep 8, 12:30*pm, Art Unwin wrote:

So far you have shown
progress by tipping the radiator where it started to fill the void at
the center of the donut. This alone confirms the idea that another
vector has to be considered outside the arbitrary border

The change in the elevation pattern shape and gains seen in the
"tipped" NEC plot I posted are NOT due to equilibrium, vectors outside
boundaries, shear forces, torque, spin etc.

The change in the pattern of the tipped vertical dipole are due to
changes in the amount and direction of the energy radiated toward the
earth by, and near the antenna, and the net field that results by the
vector addition of that reflection with the energy radiated in a given
direction by the dipole itself.

Suggest you use NEC to model a vertical dipole in free space, at
several physical rotation angles away from plumb. *See if the gain and
shape of the radiation pattern changes (they won't, if your model is
valid).

Also note that the Poynting vector does not take the form of a perfect
sphere for any linear antenna -- only for a (non-existent) isotropic
radiator.

RF

We have now come to the end of my input.
We choose to disagree. I can go along with that
just to get you and others off my back. I will go away
and let all mumble about things between themselves.
I need a vacation this year anyway and the kids are back in school
so it is a good time and the weather is just right.
This month will be momentous at the UN so a seat in the gallery sound
good
We will see.
Old September 9th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 7, 6:44*pm, "christofire" wrote:
... and if that isn't enough, how about the Racal Antennas at http://www.racalantennas.com/product...45-30mhz.aspx?

I just now looked at this link, and see that it states that this
radiator configuration is horizontally polarized.

That polarization appears to be "implausible" for this configuration.

Does any scientific documentation exist, or do any measured, real-
world performance results prove that this configuration truly is
horizontally polarized?

RF

Old September 9th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

... and if that isn't enough, how about the Racal Antennas athttp://www..racalantennas.com/products/ground/omnidirectional/hf/difan...

I just now looked at this link, and see that it states that this
radiator configuration is horizontally polarized.

That polarization appears to be "implausible" for this configuration.

Does any scientific documentation exist, or do any measured, real-
world performance results prove that this configuration truly is
horizontally polarized?

RF

You are so dumb! Look at the center pole as being a vector in
opposition to the gravity vector. Then add the two tilted vectors
which represents the vectors of the Coriolis force.
(Yes, you add both of the vectors for Coriollis because it is a
rotational force) You are then left with a horizontal vector that
balances the above vectors. Thus you have horizontal polarization.
Why? Because the vectors outside the boundary are a combination of
two vectors which is gravity and the Coriolis. Now somebody mentioned
the question of polarization purity ! When you include the Coriolis
effect you get exactly that, a pure horizontal polarization which is
very useful in determining whether forces in shear conditions exist at
airports as views of reflection of transmissions are confusing if
you transfer a mixture in the first place. This way they have purity
in radiation so that reflections are more clearer for their
determinations as to what weather conditions exist and hopefully not
"wind shear" where a plane instantly loses altitude.
You are fortunate that you caught me before I left.
Old September 9th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Art Unwin wrote:
On Sep 8, 6:49 pm, Richard Fry wrote:
On Sep 7, 6:44 pm, "christofire" wrote:

... and if that isn't enough, how about the Racal Antennas athttp://www.racalantennas.com/products/ground/omnidirectional/hf/difan...

I just now looked at this link, and see that it states that this
radiator configuration is horizontally polarized.

That polarization appears to be "implausible" for this configuration.

Does any scientific documentation exist, or do any measured, real-
world performance results prove that this configuration truly is
horizontally polarized?

RF

You are so dumb! Look at the center pole as being a vector in

Art

You expect people to treat you with respect and complain when they don't.

And then you treat others like SH T.

And you wonder why we don't respect you.

tom
K0TAR
Old September 9th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Art Unwin wrote:

[...]

And I have to say, WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!!

Give me the vectors for all forces involved. The description alone is
not acceptable. And none of your obfuscation BullSh t. Just do it,
otherwise I know you're lying, as usual.

It's not that I don't trust you, but I don't trust you.

tom
K0TAR

Old September 9th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

There are many spelling mistakes in your random word generator.
olivier

Art Unwin wrote:
On Sep 8, 11:00 am, Richard Fry wrote:
In the case of a single monopole mounted with its base at earth level,
adding tilt to it makes very little difference in its gain at
elevation angles up to +60 degrees or so, at any azimuth. It does
partially fill the elevation null at the zenith produced by the
vertical monopole, as well as to produce a small amount of h-pol
radiation over most of the compass.

Modeling this in NEC for a 1 MHz, 1/4-wave, straight monopole by
moving its top 10 meters out of plumb changed its peak gain by about
0.01 dB compared to the untilted version, at any azimuth.

RF

Gain has never been as issue in tipping the radiator except for some
who which to interject it.
Pointing's vector shows a radiation patterm that is spherical and in a
state of equilibrium
It is not the radiation pattern of a donut which all are familiar
with. Thus if one wants coverage in all directions one must pursue an
array or conductor in equilibrium.
The present state of the art only considers gravity as being outside
the arbitrary border
such that the equal and opposite vecter is exactly that. ie at right
angles to the Earth's surface. Now we all know that the radiation
pattern of such does not remotely resemble that of Pointings vector!
To get to the point of a spherical radiation pattern one must
recognize that there is an additional vector outside the boundary that
one must consider to obtain equilibrium. So far you have shown
progress by tipping the radiator where it started to fill the void at
the center of the donut. This alone confirms the idea that another
vector has to be considered outside the arbitrary border. Now
rotation is an essential property
of the Universe as fracture of an arbitrary boundary is created by two
forces which are not on a common plane. This is a shear force which
also creates torque or spin ,so it stands to reason that the other
force in combination with gravity is a force of torque or rotation.
If Coriolis is not that vector what other characteristic fits the
bill?

Old September 9th 09, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"christofire" wrote in message

snip

Such a design also appears as a self-supporting HF receive antenna the
Navy
mounted on the forward gun mount. I
struggled to find a picture of a ship with one showing but no luck. The
elements were about five to seven feet long and arranged as the OP
describes.

USS Missouri http://www.kh6bb.org/photos2.html

Chris

Chris, that's the discone/cage, a transmit antenna with two individual
feedlines from the Radio Room. Some people call it the discage, as on the
website, but I never did.

The cage portion radiates 4 - 12 MHz and the discone portion radiates 10-30.
IIRC, it stands more than 20 feet high.

The antenna I'm trying to remember was receive only and was less than 6 feet
high. It had a shape that sort of resembled a squat wire basket.

Sal

Old September 9th 09, 08:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message
news

[...]

There's a directory of antennas used at one time or another by the US Navy
at http://www.combatindex.com/hardware/...nsor_main.html. Could it
be the AS-2231? The 'discage' appears to be the AS-2802. Also, a
contributor to this group, Richard Clark, has some photos at
http://home.comcast.net/~kb7qhc/antennas/navy/.

I was aware that the discage in at least one of its incarnations had two
separate feed lines, and the combination of two antennas in one 'package'
gives rise to its particular shape. However, it has always intrigued me
that a single element of similar shape has been used since the early 50s by
the British Navy in the AJE/UK-SRA-102:
http://middle-watch.com/communications.htm and
http://rnmuseumradarandcommunication...org.uk/AJE.pdf. This could be a
coincidence or it could be that F. A. Kitchen, the designer of the AJE, had
been influenced by having previously seen a discage (his paper about
development of the AJE doesn't really explain where the shape comes from).
So I wonder when the AS-2802 'discage' came into use?

Chris

Old September 9th 09, 09:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"christofire" wrote in message

snip

The antenna I'm trying to remember was receive only and was less than 6
feet
high. It had a shape that sort of resembled a squat wire basket.

Sal

Sal,

There's a directory of antennas used at one time or another by the US Navy
at http://www.combatindex.com/hardware/...nsor_main.html. Could

it
be the AS-2231?

No, that's called a sleeve, I think, but I moused over the MIL nomenclatures
and looked at each picture. The antenna I was thinking of is the
AS-2866/SRR. I am surprised to see in the write-up that it's only 24 inches
tall. I thought twice that.

I used that website many times when I was working (prior to June, 2007) and
was wishing I had saved the link on my home computer. Now I have it again
:-)))

I was aware that the discage in at least one of its incarnations had two
separate feed lines, and the combination of two antennas in one 'package'
gives rise to its particular shape. However, it has always intrigued me
that a single element of similar shape has been used since the early 50s

by
the British Navy in the AJE/UK-SRA-102:
http://middle-watch.com/communications.htm and
http://rnmuseumradarandcommunication...org.uk/AJE.pdf. This could be a
coincidence or it could be that F. A. Kitchen, the designer of the AJE,

had
been influenced by having previously seen a discage (his paper about
development of the AJE doesn't really explain where the shape comes from).
So I wonder when the AS-2802 'discage' came into use?

I think it was removed from USS Dubuque (LPD-7) during the ship's overhaul
in 1982/83. I was there but the memory gets a little hazy about such
details. If that recollection is correct, it predates the 1980s.

Navy Antennas (was Tilted Pinball Antenna Theory) Richard Clark Antenna 18 September 16th 08 07:18 AM
Tilted radiator Art Unwin Antenna 37 September 15th 08 04:53 AM
Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (T2FD) Antenna -for- Shortwave RadioListening (SWL) RHF Shortwave 0 January 8th 08 08:36 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
EZNEC Model of a Tilted Half Rhombic Antenna William M. Bickley Antenna 3 March 1st 05 02:31 AM