Old April 24th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 2 letter calls a dead loss/incompetent administration

Its a dead loss. The WIA's guidelines on callsigns are not very clear.

If the callsign is available you should have the right to apply for
it, just like when the ACMA administered the callsigns. These
callsigns are clearly not allocated on the first come first serve
basis, but on some other arbitrary set of rules that nobody knows.

If you look at the history of the 2 letter callsigns allocated you see
a clear preference towards clubs and its officials, one off
individuals are low down in the preference ranks. The callsigns are
not being administered in way thats fair to the broader amateur
community.

I now several people who have applied in consistent manner multiple
time. One person actually lodged several applications within 1 hour
of the callsigns been listed. He lives in the same post office zone
and the applications were mailed with the same day. You can understand
his skepticism.

It would have been far better if the callsigns administration was in
the hands of some independent body not related to ham radio. A
simpler fairer impartial system would have to use a automated secure
online immediate transaction system., just like they sell tickets. In
the past it too 30 mins for the ACMA to allocate a call why the WIA
takes weeks is beyond me.

What i have experience so far, is that I have little faith in WIA
allocating these 2 letter calls. I wonder if the process is open to
legal independent scrutiny? Does the ACMA audit the process I wonder?
Old April 24th 10, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 4/23/2010 8:28 PM, Greg wrote:
Its a dead loss. The WIA's guidelines on callsigns are not very clear.

SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
What i have experience so far, is that I have little faith in WIA
allocating these 2 letter calls. I wonder if the process is open to
legal independent scrutiny? Does the ACMA audit the process I wonder?

Now that Art has gone missing (for now), we may have been delivered a
replacement.

tom
K0TAR

Old April 24th 10, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 24, 1:57*am, tom wrote:
On 4/23/2010 8:28 PM, Greg wrote: Its a dead loss. The WIA's guidelines on callsigns are not very clear.

SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP

What i have experience so far, is that I have little faith in WIA
allocating these 2 letter calls. I wonder if the process is open to
legal independent scrutiny? Does the ACMA audit the process I wonder?

Now that Art has gone missing (for now), we may have been delivered a
replacement.

tom
K0TAR

he's just an aussie... must have figured he would try this group after
the appropriate ones ignored him.
Old April 24th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Greg" wrote in message
Its a dead loss. The WIA's guidelines on callsigns are not very clear.

If the callsign is available you should have the right to apply for
it, just like when the ACMA administered the callsigns. These
callsigns are clearly not allocated on the first come first serve
basis, but on some other arbitrary set of rules that nobody knows.

snip
Or one could just take whatever callsign that was issued by the FCC, and
live with it.
--Wayne
W5GIE...obviously that's what I did

Old May 7th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I think it compounded by the "CLUBS" that have one member and that these
are "collected" I think clubs should be happy with a 2x3 let "real"
people who will be active and operate on regular basis have the choice
calls.

Just my two cents worth.... - jay W0VNE