Old October 14th 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Wire antenna feed-line questions

I am using a long wire in the trees coming straight to my tuner but I need to route the feed line underground to keep it stealth and I can't seem to find any articles on this topic.
My question...
I would like to use insulated wire or does it have to be coax only and would I lose performance?
Someone told this type of antenna would act as a lighting rod and would be dangerous.
My other question...
Why would it be more dangerous than any other antenna when most receivers and transceivers are grounded in some way?
Thanks in advance
Old October 14th 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/14/2012 5:04 PM, gipy wrote:
I am using a long wire in the trees coming straight to my tuner but I need to route the feed line underground to keep it stealth and I can't seem to find any articles on this topic.
My question...
I would like to use insulated wire or does it have to be coax only and would I lose performance?
Someone told this type of antenna would act as a lighting rod and would be dangerous.
My other question...
Why would it be more dangerous than any other antenna when most receivers and transceivers are grounded in some way?
Thanks in advance

Well you cannot bury open wire and expect any results. What frequency
are you operating on? Are you transmitting? I think your best bet at
this point is to bury coax and feed a dipole antenna if you are
transmitting. Random wire antennas perform even worse than G5RVs. They
are about the worst.

Old October 15th 12, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:19:15 PM UTC-4, Boomer wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure I agree with that statement, I have used a g5rv in the past and I have had great success throughout the years with a random wires, end-feds, long-wires etc. The trick is to have a good ground when using a random wire.

Im in a situation where I need to bury the feed-line to a random wire (end-fed type) antenna and Im looking for the best way of doing this.
Old October 15th 12, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 10/14/2012 6:02 PM, gipy wrote:
On Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:19:15 PM UTC-4, Boomer wrote:
Well you cannot bury open wire and expect any results. What frequency

are you operating on? Are you transmitting? I think your best bet at

this point is to bury coax and feed a dipole antenna if you are

transmitting. Random wire antennas perform even worse than G5RVs. They

are about the worst.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement, I have used a g5rv in the past and I have had great success throughout the years with a random wires, end-feds, long-wires etc. The trick is to have a good ground when using a random wire.

Im in a situation where I need to bury the feed-line to a random wire (end-fed type) antenna and Im looking for the best way of doing this.

If you came here for advice why are you arguing with the first person
that responded?

Just go ahead and do what you (mistakenly) think is true just because it
seemed to work OK.

And it's "I'M" not "Im". At least learn the language you speak.

tom
K0TAR
Old October 15th 12, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:55:14 PM UTC-4, tom wrote:
[...]

Wow, a newsgroup cop and an English teacher!

BTW it's I'm and not I'M, but I won't tell you to learn the language you write.

I very much respect and appreciate the "first person's" opinion and my apologies to him for not expressing that before but it is just that, an opinion, just like mine. I did not think a difference of opinion could be called an argument.

My disagreement "not argument" really had little to do with my question about burying the feed-line, not which antenna works best.

I am pretty sure by now this thread has gone south thanks to your watchful eye on correctness, sensitivity and diplomacy on this group but anyway,
I would still like to hear from anyone with some advice on burying a feed-line.

Old October 15th 12, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gipy" wrote in message
I am using a long wire in the trees coming straight to my tuner but I need
to route the feed line underground to keep it stealth and I can't seem to
find any articles on this topic.
My question...
I would like to use insulated wire or does it have to be coax only and
would I lose performance?
Someone told this type of antenna would act as a lighting rod and would be
dangerous.
My other question...
Why would it be more dangerous than any other antenna when most receivers
and transceivers are grounded in some way?
Thanks in advance

You can not burry a single wire feed to a long wire. When the wire leaves
the transmitter/tuner it becomes part of the antenna. If you have to use a
long wire and a burried transmission line, you need a remote tuner and go
from the transmitter to the tuner with coax. Even if you use open wire/twin
lead for the transmission line, you need to keep it several inches from the
dirt. Almost impossiable to do. It will not make any differance if the
wire is insulated or not if it is under ground.

Old October 15th 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 10/14/2012 7:48 PM, gipy wrote:
On Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:55:14 PM UTC-4, tom wrote:
On 10/14/2012 6:02 PM, gipy wrote:

Wow, a newsgroup cop and an English teacher!

BTW it's I'm and not I'M, but I won't tell you to learn the language you write.

I very much respect and appreciate the "first person's" opinion and my apologies to him for not expressing that before but it is just that, an opinion, just like mine. I did not think a difference of opinion could be called an argument.

My disagreement "not argument" really had little to do with my question about burying the feed-line, not which antenna works best.

I am pretty sure by now this thread has gone south thanks to your watchful eye on correctness, sensitivity and diplomacy on this group but anyway,
I would still like to hear from anyone with some advice on burying a feed-line.

No. not a newsgroup cop, just wondering why the first response to you
was disputed. And I held the cap key down too long. It happens.

He's pretty much on the nose though in his comments. If you can make a
G5RV or random work, it's mostly luck. Yes, with end fed proper
grounding helps a lot, but it's still a crap shoot.

tom
K0TAR
Old October 15th 12, 08:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Ralph
Mowery writes

"gipy" wrote in message
[...]

The situation described certainly does seem to be one where a remote
automatic tuner would be the best solution (plus a good ground, of
course). To minimise interference problems to-and-from the domestic
electrics, it would normally be better to locate the tuner at the far
end - although this would entail having a longer run of coax.
--
Ian
Old October 15th 12, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 08:28:57 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

it would normally be better to locate the tuner at the far
end - although this would entail having a longer run of coax.

And make it an inverted L while you're at it! I'm just about to order an
SGC239 auto ATU for my inverted L (www.radiowymsey.org/invl.htm). My coax
lies on the ground but only because half the garden is patio and steps.

Charlie.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sales-At-Radio-Wymsey/
Old October 15th 12, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , tom
writes
[...]

Getting a G5RV or a 'random' wire to work isn't 'mostly luck'. It's more
a question of simply knowing what you're doing.
--
Ian