Old December 7th 12, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Building phased cable

I am looking for tutorial information on cutting coaxial cables to various electrical phase lengths. I have directional couplers for the VHF and UHF bands I am concerned with and also access to a vector voltmeter. I am proficent in terminating cables with connectors but realizing there is more than one way to skin a cat and would also welcome input on assembling the cables..I am not looking to open a discussion on this but discussion would be welcome. Instead I am desiring direction to a website that has a tutorial on the subject.

TIA
Jimmie
Old December 7th 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 07:17:13 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

I am looking for tutorial information on cutting coaxial
cables to various electrical phase lengths.

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/Techpprs/Wireless%20Market%20Web%20Phase%20Paper.pdf

I also used to use a slotted line for generating a phase reference at
RF frequencies. It's then just a matter of comparing your cut coax
phase shift with that from the slotted line. A telescoping coax cable
section might also work, but I've never tried it. Accuracy was kinda
low, but good enough for what I was doing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 7th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, December 7, 2012 9:17:13 AM UTC-6, JIMMIE wrote:
I am looking for tutorial information on cutting coaxial cables to various electrical phase lengths.

Do the cables always have an SWR of 1:1, i.e. are they always flat? If not, the cable will also transform impedances which adds another dimension to the complexity.
Old December 15th 12, 02:02 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DXP View Post
On Friday, December 7, 2012 9:17:13 AM UTC-6, JIMMIE wrote:
I am looking for tutorial information on cutting coaxial cables to various electrical phase lengths.

Do the cables always have an SWR of 1:1, i.e. are they always flat? If not, the cable will also transform impedances which adds another dimension to the complexity.
You are over thinking the problem at hand.

The purpose of the phasing cables is to put the two antenn'a in phase with each other.
You don't tune the antenna with the coax - you tune it with the antenna matching unit.
Once the antenna is tuned - the length of the coax is the matching unit.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old December 16th 12, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Channel Jumper
writes

W5DXP;799379 Wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2012 9:17:13 AM UTC-6, JIMMIE wrote:-
I am looking for tutorial information on cutting coaxial cables to
various electrical phase lengths.-

Do the cables always have an SWR of 1:1, i.e. are they always flat? If
not, the cable will also transform impedances which adds another
dimension to the complexity.

You are over thinking the problem at hand.

The purpose of the phasing cables is to put the two antenn'a in phase
with each other.

You may not want the two antennas to be in phase. It would be more
generally correct to say that a phasing cable puts the phase of one
antenna to what it needs to be with respect to another.

You don't tune the antenna with the coax - you tune it with the antenna
matching unit.

If the feed impedance of the antenna itself is not the same as the coax,
the length of the coax will affect the tuning of the 'antenna system' -
ie antenna plus feeder - ie what the transmitter sees.

Once the antenna is tuned - the length of the coax is the matching unit.

Only if 'tuned' equals 'matched' - otherwise the length of the coax will
affect the impedance seen at the transmitter end (or at some
intermediate point, if that is relevant to what you're doing). And, of
course, regardless of matching, the length of the coax will also affect
the phase of the RF reaching the antenna.

To answer the question, except for very low frequencies, the
characteristic impedance of coax itself should be 'flat' (having a
constant characteristic impedance at all frequencies). If it is
terminated by its characteristic impedance, it will have no standing
waves on it. Usually, standing waves are considered a 'bad thing', but
if a short length of coax is used to transform one impedance to another,
there are bound to be standing waves on that particular piece of coax.
However, as the length of the transforming coax is typically a
quarterwave, mismatch losses are pretty negligible.

--
Ian

Old December 20th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, December 7, 2012 10:17:13 AM UTC-5, JIMMIE wrote:
I am looking for tutorial information on cutting coaxial cables to various electrical phase lengths. I have directional couplers for the VHF and UHF bands I am concerned with and also access to a vector voltmeter. I am proficent in terminating cables with connectors but realizing there is more than one way to skin a cat and would also welcome input on assembling the cables.I am not looking to open a discussion on this but discussion would be welcome. Instead I am desiring direction to a website that has a tutorial on the subject. TIA Jimmie

OK, the best info I got was to play with a few cable samples and test equipment like I was going to use before building the cable. See how phase changes responds to trimming. There doesnt seem to be as much "magic" and "art" to it as some have claimed. Heliax with compression fittings make the job easy.

Jimmie

Phased Verticals n1ix Antenna 0 April 8th 09 11:10 AM
Wellbrook Phased Array Steve Shortwave 8 August 18th 07 02:04 PM
Building a Ready-Made "GreerTech" Coax Cable [Shielded] Loop Antenna with Multi-Heads RHF Shortwave 4 July 25th 07 03:29 AM
Co-phased yagis Caryl Duncan CB 8 May 24th 06 05:34 AM
GAP & phased array Renzo Antenna 0 August 3rd 05 07:05 PM