Old June 17th 04, 05:43 PM
Arrow146

Default To those that said it would not work

Remember back when some said my Open Stub J-pole (OSJ) design
Would not work very well.
Just take a look at 25 reviews at
A HREF="http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1613"eHam.net Reviews - OSJ Model
J146/440/A
or
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1613

See if you can find the ONE review that did not give it a
5 out of 5 rating.

Changing the way J-Poles are made, "Simply the Best"

73 Al Lowe N0IMW
ArrowAntenna.com
Old June 17th 04, 07:48 PM
JD

I have built 5 of these antennas for myself, family and friends based on
your webite description and all of them work wonderful. One of my club
Members even ran it thru ez nec and it looked great there too.
Thanks.
John, VE2JDR

Old June 17th 04, 10:25 PM
jason

Hello,

It's always funny to see people saying, "best I have ever used" etc, what
must they have used before!
It's not really a new design is it, maybe just similar to what is known as a
"nest of dipoles" that scanner enthusiasts have. They use different
radiating elements in parallel.

"Arrow146" wrote in message
Remember back when some said my Open Stub J-pole (OSJ) design
Would not work very well.
Just take a look at 25 reviews at
A HREF="http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1613"eHam.net Reviews - OSJ

Model
J146/440/A
or
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1613

See if you can find the ONE review that did not give it a
5 out of 5 rating.

Changing the way J-Poles are made, "Simply the Best"

73 Al Lowe N0IMW
ArrowAntenna.com

---

Old June 17th 04, 10:36 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:25:36 +0100, "jason" wrote:
maybe just similar to what is known as a
"nest of dipoles" that scanner enthusiasts have. They use different
radiating elements in parallel.

Hi Jason,

Not that at all, otherwise all of the elements would be driven, and
simple observation negates that. I've reported a similar design to
this group years ago that uses the SO-239 bulkhead connector wired up
in similar fashion: One wire extending directly from the center pin
solder tail, and another wire, parallel, soldered to any of the four
holes normally used for mounting. No need whatever for the usual
JPole tuning cap.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old June 17th 04, 11:22 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Richard Clark wrote:

maybe just similar to what is known as a
"nest of dipoles" that scanner enthusiasts have. They use different
radiating elements in parallel.

Hi Jason,

Not that at all, otherwise all of the elements would be driven, and
simple observation negates that. I've reported a similar design to
this group years ago that uses the SO-239 bulkhead connector wired up
in similar fashion: One wire extending directly from the center pin
solder tail, and another wire, parallel, soldered to any of the four
holes normally used for mounting. No need whatever for the usual
JPole tuning cap.

There's an analysis of a similar design on Cebik's web site - his
"non-standard J-pole" is a bottom-fed, non-shorted design with a
shorter-than-usual radiating section and a longer-than-usual matching
leg.

http://www.cebik.com/jp1.html

It looks to me as if the Arrow design has similar element lengths to
the one which Cebik models. The Arrow trick of using one element as
the matching leg for 2-meter and as the radiator for 440 is a slick
one.

Everyone I've spoken with who has used an Arrow 146/440 J-pole has
been very happy with it.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old June 17th 04, 11:43 PM
Reg Edwards

ANYTHING will work!

The question arises how WELL will it work?

Without quantification, statements are meaningless.

Specially when the weakest parameters are not mentioned in specifications
and are not discussed amongst the biassed-in-favour so-called judges.

Old June 18th 04, 12:32 AM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:22:22 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

Hi Jason,

Not that at all, otherwise all of the elements would be driven, and
simple observation negates that. I've reported a similar design to
this group years ago that uses the SO-239 bulkhead connector wired up
in similar fashion: One wire extending directly from the center pin
solder tail, and another wire, parallel, soldered to any of the four
holes normally used for mounting. No need whatever for the usual
JPole tuning cap.

There's an analysis of a similar design on Cebik's web site - his
"non-standard J-pole" is a bottom-fed, non-shorted design with a
shorter-than-usual radiating section and a longer-than-usual matching
leg.

http://www.cebik.com/jp1.html

Hi Jason, Dave,

A repeat of a subset of data offered here 5 and 7 years ago from data
measured at the bench 12 years ago:

.... built up from 0.085" diameter bronze tubing. In each case, the
center connection is brought out 13 inches.... with one vertical
element that paralleled the main element with a constant separation of
0.5 inch.

The variation of the second rod is called "Match Length" in the chart

Radiator Match Fo SWR
Length Length MHz 50 Ohm

13.0 6.0 485 2.8
13.0 5.75 548 2.3