Old June 18th 04, 05:28 PM
g g

why you a cry baby .

Old June 20th 04, 06:29 PM
Jimmie

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:25:36 +0100, "jason" wrote:
maybe just similar to what is known as a
"nest of dipoles" that scanner enthusiasts have. They use different
radiating elements in parallel.

Hi Jason,

Not that at all, otherwise all of the elements would be driven, and
simple observation negates that. I've reported a similar design to
this group years ago that uses the SO-239 bulkhead connector wired up
in similar fashion: One wire extending directly from the center pin
solder tail, and another wire, parallel, soldered to any of the four
holes normally used for mounting. No need whatever for the usual
JPole tuning cap.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yep this has been around a long time. Got one in my junk bin made of
coathangers and N connector for two meters It worked so much better than my
rubber duckie antenna I thought it was the greatest antena in the world..

Old June 22nd 04, 01:42 AM
Old Ed

Hi Al -

Your antenna is excellent in every way. I have two of them
that I'm thrilled with. And after our local ARES/RACES group
saw mine, they ordered ten more for other members of the group.

I confess to smiling a bit when I found out that my J146/440 at
20 feet is about 6 dB stronger into the local repeater than our
EOC station's Comet "gain" antenna at 50 feet. (Obviously, this
cannot be a direct A/B comparison; but both stations have a clear
shot to the repeater, and they are closer to it than I am.)

Don't let the nattering nabobs of negativism in this NG get you down.
Many of them are so stuck in their ways, I'm surprised they haven't
reprised their stock answer of "use ladder line and a tuner to feed
a 135 foot dipole" as the hot ticket for 146/440 coverage. ;-)

73, Ed

"Arrow146" wrote in message
Remember back when some said my Open Stub J-pole (OSJ) design
Would not work very well.
Just take a look at 25 reviews at
A HREF="http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1613"eHam.net Reviews - OSJ

Model
J146/440/A
or
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1613

See if you can find the ONE review that did not give it a
5 out of 5 rating.

Changing the way J-Poles are made, "Simply the Best"

73 Al Lowe N0IMW
ArrowAntenna.com

Old June 22nd 04, 04:27 PM
Arrow146

My only problem with J antennas is WHY. I can more easily build a 5/8.

What your really asking is why a half wave vs a 5/8ths?

The best answer I can give is a 5/8ths REQUIRES a groundplane to
work at all correctly and that makes it more metal and complication.
Yes the 5/8ths offers _some_ additional gain but for simplicity the
end fed dipoles (all the J varients) do not require a ground plane and
are more compact in general shape making them a better candiate
for steath or portable ops.

Seriously if I were going for more gain than the OSJ the antenna would
be a 4 bay dipole for the same reasons. Rugged, simple, excellent
gain and good radiation pattern. The 5/8ths does not offer enough
gain increase to make it worth the effort when a 5.6db colinear or 4
bay dipole offers significantly more.

Allison
KB!GMX

Wow, Good Answer, I totally agree.

I tested several different 5/8 wave antenna, I even made a
prototype that worked as well or better than any of them, and
looked better. But comparing them to the OSJ it was hard to
tell the difference, maybe a 1/2 "S" Unit in favor of the 5/8 wave.
With the difference in cost to make, (Labor & Material)
it just did not see worth the effort to me.
73 Al Lowe N0IMW
A HREF="http://ArrowAntennas.com"ArrowAntenna.com/A

Old June 25th 04, 04:29 PM
Jimmie

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:38:26 GMT, "Jimmie" Gfender@carolina
dot.rr.dot com wrote:

My only problem with J antennas is WHY. I can more easily build a 5/8.

What your really asking is why a half wave vs a 5/8ths?

The best answer I can give is a 5/8ths REQUIRES a groundplane to
work at all correctly and that makes it more metal and complication.
Yes the 5/8ths offers _some_ additional gain but for simplicity the
end fed dipoles (all the J varients) do not require a ground plane and
are more compact in general shape making them a better candiate
for steath or portable ops.

Seriously if I were going for more gain than the OSJ the antenna would
be a 4 bay dipole for the same reasons. Rugged, simple, excellent
gain and good radiation pattern. The 5/8ths does not offer enough
gain increase to make it worth the effort when a 5.6db colinear or 4
day dipole offers significantly more.

Allison
KB!GMX

Funny, I dont remember saying anything about gain. For me 5/8 are just
easier to build and tune.

Old June 27th 04, 07:52 AM
Jimmie

wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:29:32 GMT, "Jimmie" Gfender@carolina
dot.rr.dot com wrote:
Funny, I dont remember saying anything about gain. For me 5/8 are just
easier to build and tune.

Still it needs a ground plane and that does add mechanical
complication of a different sort.

Not much on two meters, use 3/4 inch wooden dowl or acrylic rod for
supporting 3/4 inch tublar radiator. This also becomes the coil form for
thre matching coil. Groudplane can be anythinh from stiff wire held on by a
radiator clamp to a metal roof. Even with the radials going nearly straight
down from the antenna it seems to work pretty well. Ive cobbled these to
gether in an hour or so and have spent all evening making one look pretty.
They both worked well and gave long service. Constuction goes a lot faster
once you get some experience on where to tap the coil and know how many
turns, One day I am going to write this down when I make one.However I find
that figuring the right lengths for the 5/8 is not nearly as fussy as doing
a J from scratch
I dont mind J antennas a a horizontal dipole on HF where the stub length is
convinent to handle. This can be a problem when you get on down in freq. I
can use one on 20 meters at this freq the stub works well as my transmission
line. For me J's work from 6m trhough 20 meters. Wouldnt dream of actually
buying one though.

I've built both and for differing reasons each works well when well
made. I find making a 5/8ths harder to achive for say 2m or 6m out of
copper pipe than a J.

Allison
KB!GMX