Old September 19th 15, 01:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Photons?

At Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:30:56 -0400, rickman rearranged some electrons to
write:

I got a little knowledge on the EMSP. I seem to recall it never reached
deployment, but I find Internet references to it being the standard
acoustic platform at some point. I can't imagine 1980's technology
would be used even in 2000, much less now. I guess they did some
upgrades before it reached production.

Every single bare circuit board used on AN/UYS-2 was tested using
programs that I wrote. Back in the day.

Old September 21st 15, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 9/19/2015 8:09 AM, David wrote:
At Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:30:56 -0400, rickman rearranged some electrons to
write:

I got a little knowledge on the EMSP. I seem to recall it never reached
deployment, but I find Internet references to it being the standard
acoustic platform at some point. I can't imagine 1980's technology
would be used even in 2000, much less now. I guess they did some
upgrades before it reached production.

Every single bare circuit board used on AN/UYS-2 was tested using
programs that I wrote. Back in the day.

Maybe you can help me understand. I was on the program when it first
got started. ATT got the contract to develop the hardware and it was
all fully custom ICs. The design consisted of processing units with 2
adders and 1 multiplier each, all floating point. ECOS was supposed to
be the way it was programmed and was graphical. I left for another job
and years later a friend told me the EMSP program got very complicated,
ECOS never worked right, potential users of the system started to bail.
They ended up having so few potential users that the unit cost rose
through the roof. I thought in the end the entire program was canceled.
But I find references that say it was the system used in the 90's
which is really surprising.

Did I hear wrong or was it just exaggerated? Where was this processor
actually used? I think it the program was started by the Navy for use
on submaries, so I assume they would have been the last user to stay
with the program.

--

Rick
Old September 21st 15, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 21/09/15 15:40, rickman wrote:
[...]

Assuming it was made to work, the 'life span' is not that unusual.

The AYK-14 Mission Computer was a mid 70s design and celebrated 30 years
in service about a decade back. It was used in a raft of aircraft and is
gradually being replaced by a more modern design.

Old October 9th 15, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

At Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:40:10 -0400, rickman rearranged some electrons to
write:

On 9/19/2015 8:09 AM, David wrote:
At Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:30:56 -0400, rickman rearranged some electrons
to write:

I got a little knowledge on the EMSP. I seem to recall it never
reached deployment, but I find Internet references to it being the
standard acoustic platform at some point. I can't imagine 1980's
technology would be used even in 2000, much less now. I guess they
did some upgrades before it reached production.

Every single bare circuit board used on AN/UYS-2 was tested using
programs that I wrote. Back in the day.

Maybe you can help me understand. I was on the program when it first
got started. ATT got the contract to develop the hardware and it was
all fully custom ICs.

Yes. My employer.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/an-uys-2.htm

Did I hear wrong or was it just exaggerated? Where was this processor
actually used? I think it the program was started by the Navy for use
on submaries, so I assume they would have been the last user to stay
with the program.

The submarine world is now using mostly COTS hardware to perform these
functions.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...rci-sonar.html

Old October 10th 15, 07:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/9/2015 9:01 AM, David wrote:
[...]

That is clearly the smart thing. I see this in the link above.

"AN/UYS-2 COTS Variant (ACV)"

So they built a few of the EMSP but scrapped it before building more and
switched to COTS hardware. Before I worked for TRW where I learned of
the EMSP I worked for Start Technologies where they built a 100 MFLOPS
array processor. It would have required a total redesign to meet the
environmental requirements, but they could have done the entire EMSP on
the ST-100 easily. ST developed a 50 MFLOPS version that fit in a
single card cage. It would not have taken too much effort to have made
that in a rugged version suitable for mil apps.

In the end, all these designs were over taken by commercial designs to
meet the demands of the cell phone market.

--

Rick

Old October 12th 15, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

At Sat, 10 Oct 2015 02:35:54 -0400, rickman rearranged some electrons to
write:

So they built a few of the EMSP but scrapped it before building more and
switched to COTS hardware.

Many more than a few. They are probably all sitting in a warehouse
somewhere, beside the Ark of the Covenant.

Do antennas radiate photons? Wayne Antenna 45 September 8th 15 09:02 AM
Photons Art Unwin Antenna 12 January 13th 09 01:21 PM
Photons Art Unwin Antenna 0 January 11th 09 06:07 PM
Minimum photons-per-second [amplitude] required for 150 KHz? Radium[_2_] Antenna 37 June 25th 07 03:10 AM
Minimum photons-per-second [amplitude] required for 150 KHz? Radium[_2_] Shortwave 36 June 25th 07 03:10 AM