Old July 21st 16, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Wireless Dog Fence

On 7/21/2016 12:51 PM, ALisha Hohman wrote:
Yes. The boundary line is tentative and depends on the dog learning to recognize the been to know it is near the boundary line. You can use boundary flags as a visual aid as well, but, you are right. If we were to move something in our house it would change the boundary.

Yes. We did drive with it in our van on the end of our road where we know no one else has one of the systems to see if she was still alive and within range, but we don't want to do that in areas we are unfamiliar with where someone could have the same unit and risk a pet getting buzzed for no reason when a child is playing near it. We were relying on hearing her yipe when she was within and then back out of range. The point of my post was to find out if we could detect when the collar came in and back out of range (when she would be getting buzzed) if she is injured or otherwise unable to yipe since this unit does not have that feature. Since I am limited in my knowledge about how radios work, I thought someone here would be able to tell me if there is a way to detect when the transmitter comes in/out of range of the receiver collar, even if we could only be able to search up to around 90 ft in each direction.

I don't know for certain, but I don't think your receiver can cause
another animal to be zapped when it is in its own yard. I believe the
collar simply detects the presence of a signal and when it drops below
the threshold, the animal gets the warning and eventually the zap. But
having yours nearby won't trigger another collar as long as it can
receive the signal from its transmitter.

Do you know if the collar zaps the animal continuously when the leave
the yard or does it only zap the animal for a bit and then stop, either
because it is further out of range or because of a timer?

--

Rick C
Old July 21st 16, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I meant we were driving around with the transmitter turned on inside our van, not the receiver. Sorry about the confusion.

It has a 30 second timer, so if she came in and back out of range of the transmitter, it would go off for 30 seconds or until she was back in the boundary. Unfortunately the beep is nearly undetectable on the dog so we definitely wouldn't hear it from a distance.
Old July 24th 16, 07:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim H wrote:
On 21 Jul 2016 16:33:11 GMT, in ,
Rob wrote:

ALisha Hohman wrote:
Nope. It doesn't use any wires. It creates an up to 90ft radius around wherever the transmitter is placed. If you look further up the thread, I posted the product page from home depot's website.

I would think such a system can never have a clearly defined boundary
unless it uses advanced techniques like roundtrip time measurement of
a radio signal. The "range" of the signal depends a lot on obstacles etc.

In this configuration it should be able to locate the dog in a 90ft radius,
but that is of course not very helpful when you want to locate it in
a neighborhood.

No!

The collar is receive only. When the dog gets outside the range of the
transmitter the collar sounds a tone and shocks the dog until the
signal is again received or for 30 seconds, whichever is greater. It's
all in that manual she posted a link to.

I thought the collar would beep loudly whenever it gets out of range,
so it would be possible to force it to beep by trigger that beeping
action using the portable transmitter. As there has been discussion
of such a system before that operated using a buried wire loop around
the area to be protected, I thought a "portable" loop could be made
and carried around.

However later she explained this beep is only faint (maybe mainly
ultrasonic) so this would not be a practical approach.

DX'ing and Invisible Pet Fence John Richer Shortwave 4 January 18th 05 10:44 AM
How reject QRM from the fence ? Thierry Antenna 7 October 26th 04 06:21 AM
On The Fence Arthur Harris Shortwave 33 August 27th 04 04:50 AM
chain link fence Wedgew Antenna 5 August 24th 04 01:09 AM
Maxtel wireless Inc/Talk Wireless Inc. In Niagara Region Steve St. Denis Scanner 0 October 8th 03 08:15 PM