Old April 12th 05, 06:55 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:18:52 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:

I somehow managed to avoid becoming a bitter
and pessimistic 'victim' of the big mean government men. Buck-up a
little fer cryin' out loud.

Hi Jim,

Frankly I don't have a single thought about government in this issue.
Unless, of course, you are from the school of what's good for (fill in
the corporate blank) is good for America kind of government. I
thought that got gummed up in the tar pits years ago.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 12th 05, 07:51 AM
John Smith

Actually, I correct myself again, it looks like Termans' book is expired
copyright, if you look closely at the post above and the field:
" Claim Limit: NEW MATTER: "revisions and new material." "
you will see that this entry is actually a NEW copyright work, and that the
copyright is limited to ONLY the "revisions and new material."
However, as this guy (corporation, company, business, individual, etc.) has
done, a person could duplicate the "original text" of Terman without
violation of copyright law, AND also tag on some "new revisions and new
material" just to obsfucate what has been done! and obtain a copyright on
the "revisions and new material"-- fooling some into believing the old text
was still copyrighted...
At least, from consulting with others who claim to be more familiar with
such, that is the conclusion I draw.
Anyone here with more information, or who can correct my mistaken
conclusion(s)?

Regards,
John
--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
"John Smith" wrote in message
news
I am just in the first stages of investigating this database myself. I am
not positive if I am interpreting the results correctly.
For example, I plugged Terman, Frederick, here is the result:

1. Registration Number: RE-187-468
Title: Electronic and radio engineering. By acFrederick E. Terman.
Edition: 4th ed.
Claimant: Frederick E. Terman (A)
Effective Registration Date: 2Dec83
Original Registration Date: 6Sep55;
Original Registration Number: A203084.
Original Class: A
Claim Limit: NEW MATTER: "revisions and new material."

I am guessing, but this seems to confirm the materials' copyright expired
on 12/2/83 and there was no renewal and it now lies in the realm of public
domain--but am looking how to confirm this. I can find no other mention
of this work in the database...
Perhaps others can provide their knowledge/observations?

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"John Smith" wrote in message
If you are wondering about a certain author, work, etc...

Here is the page where you can conduct searches to answer your curiosity
on current copyrights:

http://www.copyright.gov/records/cohm.html

Also, here is the Copyrights' Office page of circulars to answer various
questions:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/

Regards,

John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"John Smith" wrote in message
To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain"; so, does anyone have a list of non-copyright materials
pertaining to antennas? Or, any ideas of how to obtain the information
on
how to assemble one.
A website of non-copyright materials concerning antennas would be a
great
asset to this community...

Regards,
John

Old April 12th 05, 08:26 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:51:30 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Anyone here with more information, or who can correct my mistaken
conclusion(s)?

Hi Brett,

Read up on "Fair Use." Wholesale reproduction is not going to market
anywhere where it won't be perceived as just that. Further, it can't
economically compete with the used book trade in the marketplace.

Beyond that, extensive quotations for the purpose of bolstering
arguments or illustrating concepts will only act as a soporific.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 12th 05, 02:10 PM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:22:59 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Gets a "little complicated.." ??? Amen! The laws have been more like
"totally subverted" from their original intent.
Strange there is no way to search the database, specifically, for expired
copyrights! Huh, almost enough to trigger my "conspiracy theory"
tendencies! Of course, perhaps Micro$oft developed the database--that would
be one acceptable explaination...

Regards,
John

More to your original question, the Government Printing Office has a
website and a search engine -- but it brings up only some rather
mundane papers when searching for "antennas"...

bob
k5qwg

Old April 12th 05, 03:10 PM
Reg Edwards

More to your original question, the Government Printing Office has a
website and a search engine -- but it brings up only some rather
mundane papers when searching for "antennas"...

bob
k5qwg

================================

Before anybody can get anything out of the Internet somebody has to be
paid to put it in.

Radio amateurs are but a small proportion of the world's population.
I'm for ever surprised at the quantity of information which is
availble.

Tthe big question mark hanging over 'information" is Reliability? Can
you believe it? Google is anything but the Bible. Much information is
from sources as trustworthy as where the weapons of mass destruction
came from.

But searching is a pleasant pastime, is it not? And it's seldom a
matter of life or death.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old April 12th 05, 04:38 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
But searching is a pleasant pastime, is it not?

I was at work (GED teacher) the other day and wanted to
gin up an Excel program for converting series impedances
to parallel impedances and vice versa. I wanted to verify
my memory on those equations. I spent two hours trying to
find them on the web and never did. That search was not
pleasant. 99.9% of series to parallel stuff on the web
is digital.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 12th 05, 05:17 PM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:38:53 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

converting series impedances
to parallel impedances and vice versa. I wanted to verify
my memory on those equations. I spent two hours trying to
find them on the web and never did.

Google: converting series impedances
second response points at:
http://www.cebik.com/trans/zcalc.html

2 minutes tops
Old April 12th 05, 06:49 PM
Jim Kelley

John Smith wrote:

However, there is another reason why many are not knowledgeable of the fact
knowledge itself was/is intentionally meant to, eventually, be placed within
the publics domain. This reason I tend to refer to as, "The Control Freak
Factor." A group of people who for one reason or another tend to attempt to
halt, make impossible, obfuscate, and hinder the attempts of others to
disperse knowledge and learning. Why they do this and what their motivation
is, is beyond my comprehension.

Indeed. Try creating something of your own, and see how you feel about
somebody coming along and claiming the product of your effort for
themselves. If you can't comprehend that, then consider what it might
be like for someone to put your house in their name and then sell it.
If you can't get a feel for that, then imagine somebody coming along and
taking food our of your child's mouth because it's 'the people's food'
and everybody has a right to eat it.

ac6xg

Old April 12th 05, 06:57 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Actually, I correct myself again, it looks like Termans' book is expired
copyright, if you look closely at the post above and the field:
" Claim Limit: NEW MATTER: "revisions and new material." "
you will see that this entry is actually a NEW copyright work, and that the
copyright is limited to ONLY the "revisions and new material."
However, as this guy (corporation, company, business, individual, etc.) has
done, a person could duplicate the "original text" of Terman without
violation of copyright law, AND also tag on some "new revisions and new
material" just to obsfucate what has been done! and obtain a copyright on
the "revisions and new material"-- fooling some into believing the old text
was still copyrighted...

At least, from consulting with others who claim to be more familiar with
such, that is the conclusion I draw.

That isn't necessarily due to any intent to obfuscate the situation.

US Copyright law says that if a work is in the public domain, the work
itself cannot be re-copyrighted. However, anyone can then create a
"derivative work", using the public-domain work as starting material,
and then copyright the resulting derivative work. If, for example,
you start with a black&white news photo which is in the public domain,
do some simple Photoshop or GIMP processing on it to colorize it (or
include it in a collage or photomontage) you can copyright your own
version of the photo. The original photo remains in the public
domain, while your version (with your creative effort) is now
copyrighted.

As another analogy, one could take the text of Moby Dick (in the
public domain and freely available on the Net) and run it through a
creatively-programmed "English to Valley-speak" or "English to Jive"
translation filter. The result would probably be copyrightable, if
rather silly.

There are, I believe, various legal rules-of-thumb to determine
whether the creative effort involved in making a derivative work is
sufficient to support its being placed under a new copyright.

It's very possible (almost certain, in fact) that the 1983 version of
Terman involved sufficient creative effort to revise and enhance the
text of the 1955 edition, to justify the new version having its own
copyright.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old April 12th 05, 07:04 PM
Dave Platt

In article , Cecil Moore wrote:

I was at work (GED teacher) the other day and wanted to
gin up an Excel program for converting series impedances
to parallel impedances and vice versa. I wanted to verify
my memory on those equations. I spent two hours trying to
find them on the web and never did. That search was not
pleasant. 99.9% of series to parallel stuff on the web
is digital.

The easiest way I found to figure this out, is to start from the
basic Ohm's Law formula for two impedances in parallel:

Zt = (Z1)(Z2) / (Z1 + Z2)

Let Z1 be a purely real impedance (Rp + j0) and Z2 be a purely
imaginary impedance (0 + jXp) and calculate from there.

It was a fun bit of scratchpad-and-pencil-in-the-afternoon to start at
Ohm's Law, and end up with a pretty decent understanding of how L- and
T-match antenna tuners (transmatches for the purist) actually do what
they do.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO