Old April 15th 05, 01:52 AM
John Smith

Download Slackware Linux and spend the time to learn it, you will NOT be
disappointed!
There maybe a "LUG" near you (Linux Users Group) they will be more than
happy to help your learning curve--and from time to time they host "Install
Fests." Just load up some old computer laying around (a 133 Mhz or better,
and "better" I do recommend) and you will go home from the install fest with
Linux on the machine!

Regards,
John

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Richard Clark wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:15:34 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

Absolutely every application that is mainstream can be replaced and
upgraded to
for FREE.

Hi All,

In today's news, from the Seattle Times:
"'My belief is that open-source software is going to help drive the
acquisition cost of software down toward zero,' he said, a shift that
will require software companies to move 'over to a maintenance and
support model.'"
and this is a quote from Martin Taylor, Ballmer's chief of staff at
M$.

KWAAANNNNG! (or other odd sound as you see fit)

Yes indeed, it just may drive software companies to adopt a different
paradigm. It is about time!

Right now, it would seem we need a new improved operating system every two
years, according to the comapnies that make such things.

We need a "new improved" word processing software, laden with "features
that no one will use, according to those same companies.

When in fact, what I want is an operating system that simply works, and
allows me to see my files and work with them.

And programs that work. Which we will not see until we DON'T have a new
operating system every two years.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 5th 05, 10:31 PM
John Smith

I use mirc... but all the clients you mentioned are workable...
have never looked on EFNET for ham chat... might just check it
out--thanks...

Warmest regards,
John