Old May 5th 05, 01:36 PM
Cecil Moore

Richard Fry wrote:

"Richard Harrison" wrote:
Forward and reverse power flows on a line are nearly constant,
except for slight line loss, no matter where the line is sampled.

Average power is nearly constant, but for every value of SWR 1:1, peak
power along the line is not. I have seen many examples in FM broadcast
stations where their transmission line was damaged at intervals of 1/2
wavelength due to a high mismatch at the antenna, or a precipitating
failure in the line itself.

Current maximum points are prone to overheating. Voltage maximum
points are prone to arcing.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 5th 05, 02:52 PM
John - KD5YI

Cecil Moore wrote:
John - KD5YI wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

A toroidal pickup samples the current at one point. Knowing the
current at one point tells you absolutely nothing about SWR.

I think he thinks his toroid is a directional coupler.

But it is a current transducer, not a directional coupler.

I know.
Old May 5th 05, 04:43 PM
John Smith

OK. Before I even bother building this--will it work "correctly" and give
me a basic indication of some form of SWR-V,I or P?
http://blake.prohosting.com/mailguy2/JS_3.JPG

Thanks all for the help, I know I am probably a pain, just gotta beat my
head against that wall until something gets in!!!

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 5th 05, 05:08 PM
John Smith

.... I should have indicated that the "polarity" of the coils are reversed in
direction (windings in opposite directions) in the circuit...

Regards,
John

Old May 5th 05, 06:40 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 5 May 2005 08:43:28 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

will it work "correctly"

Hi Brett,

No.

For exactly the same reasons that have gotten you this far.

The first symptom of insanity is repeating the same thing with an
expectation of a different outcome.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old May 5th 05, 06:47 PM
John Smith

LOL... I was so hoping you would not notice... grin

Well, thanks, back to the drawing board...

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 5th 05, 06:51 PM
Jim Kelley

John Smith wrote:

OK. Before I even bother building this--will it work "correctly" and give
me a basic indication of some form of SWR-V,I or P?
http://blake.prohosting.com/mailguy2/JS_3.JPG

It's more like a current sensitive version of that light bulb on the end
of your whip antenna.

Thanks all for the help, I know I am probably a pain, just gotta beat my
head against that wall until something gets in!!!

You have some of the rest of us doing that, too.

By the way, who's Yanno? Is it that long haired piano player? :-)

ac6xg

Old May 5th 05, 06:59 PM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
OK. Before I even bother building this--will it work "correctly" and give
me a basic indication of some form of SWR-V,I or P?
http://blake.prohosting.com/mailguy2/JS_3.JPG

Nope, it won't work. It still has the same problem of
sampling the current (and nothing else) at only one
point. The two pickup coils are reading exactly the
same current just with opposite phase. You still don't
have any means of separating the forward component from
the reflected component. Your toroid is NOT a directional
coupler - it is a current transducer.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 5th 05, 07:33 PM
John Smith

LOL!!!
Why, ya got somethin' agin' peeano players???
grin

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 5th 05, 07:58 PM
John Smith

Is my insanity, improving, degrading, or maintaining status quo? grin

http://blake.prohosting.com/mailguy2/JS4.jpg