Old June 3rd 05, 11:25 PM
Russ

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:01:39 -0400, Buck wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:33:44 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 02:11:44 -0400, Buck wrote:

Each radio has it's own finger-print that the FCC can read. Many
times, they can tell the make and model by the signature before ever
seeing the rig. I would think that the most popular HF mobile rig
ever is recognized by the FCC.

Rig fingerprint? How does that work?

bob
k5qwg

I don't know, the FCC mentions them in letters to the owners of the
rigs they are requiring inspection on.

It's called "signature analysis". Every emitter, whether the human
voice, a transmiiter or a piece of vibrating machinery puts out its
vibrations in a unique pattern that can be determined by careful
analysis of the signal. There are mathmatical analysis tools that can
break down the patterns into frequency bands and time signatures that
all together, show that your Icom IC-706 MarkIIG is uniquely different
from my friend's. The math isn't particularly difficult, there are
specialty chip sets that will do it. The trick is doing it fast and
accurately enough. The "waterfall" display in WINPSK is doing the
math, but only enough to show the signals and decode the PSK protocol.
If it were accurate enough it would show the differences between all
the transmitters.

Russ - kf4wxd
Old June 4th 05, 05:54 PM
C. J. Clegg

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:47:19 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

By the way, curious, but what does Honda charge for a factory
installed cb setup?

I don't really remember. We had the CB installed when we got the
bike, back in 1991. It was a few hundred bucks at least, as I recall.

Old June 4th 05, 06:11 PM
C. J. Clegg

Thanks to all for your helpful information on this topic. And thanks
also for the notes on proximity of the operator to the antenna. This
is also of a concern to me, but it's a different question so I didn't
mention it in my original post.

The fact is, I'd be doing about 98 percent listening and 2 percent
talking anyway, and so I'm currently somewhat more concerned about
damage to equipment than damage to my brain which is already fairly
damaged anyway according to my XYL... ;-)

As for opening up the 706 to transmit out-of-band, this rig has that
mod (for MARS). If I didn't already have the integrated CB in the
Gold Wing I might consider using the 706 on CB and take my chances on
getting caught, but since the legal radio is already there, may as
well use it.