Old May 31st 05, 10:52 PM
C. J. Clegg

Default IC-706 on motorcycle; HF - CB interaction (damage to CB)?

I have an IC-706 mounted on my Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. The
motorcycle has a dealer-installed CB radio with the CB antenna mounted
in back on the left side of the trunk. I have a 7-foot loaded
vertical for 40 meters mounted to the rear crash bar, only about a
foot to a foot and a half from the CB antenna.

My question is, if I transmit on 40 meters SSB at full power
(nominally 100 watts, actually more like about 70 watts or so), am I
likely to damage the front end of the CB radio? Will it matter if the
CB radio is turned on or off?

I could crank the power on the IC-706 back to as little as 10 watts
but it's going to be hard enough to raise any QSOs with the full 100
watts of power.

On the other hand, the motorcycle CB is big bucks to replace and I'd
be just as happy not to damage it...

Thanks...

Old June 1st 05, 12:30 AM

C. J. Clegg wrote:
I have an IC-706 mounted on my Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. The
motorcycle has a dealer-installed CB radio with the CB antenna mounted
in back on the left side of the trunk. I have a 7-foot loaded
vertical for 40 meters mounted to the rear crash bar, only about a
foot to a foot and a half from the CB antenna.

My question is, if I transmit on 40 meters SSB at full power
(nominally 100 watts, actually more like about 70 watts or so), am I
likely to damage the front end of the CB radio? Will it matter if the
CB radio is turned on or off?

I could crank the power on the IC-706 back to as little as 10 watts
but it's going to be hard enough to raise any QSOs with the full 100
watts of power.

On the other hand, the motorcycle CB is big bucks to replace and I'd
be just as happy not to damage it...

Thanks...

Hi C.J. With the antennas that close, you could cause damage to the
cb rig. You should have the cb turned off when transmitting with the
ham rig, you will overload the front end and get garbage out of the
speaker.
Some cb rigs ground the antenna with the rig off, and if yours does
then you are OK as long as the cb is off. If your rig does not do this
then you need to add a switch or relay to ground the antenna when the
cb is off, or you are transmitting with the ham rig. As you stated,
you will need all the power you can get to have QSOs, but at what point
does this damage the cb, too many variables?
Gary N4AST

Old June 1st 05, 06:00 AM

open the tx on the ic 706 have a all in one radio problem solve

Old June 1st 05, 06:14 AM
Buck

On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:52:10 -0400, C. J. Clegg
wrote:

I have an IC-706 mounted on my Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. The
motorcycle has a dealer-installed CB radio with the CB antenna mounted
in back on the left side of the trunk. I have a 7-foot loaded
vertical for 40 meters mounted to the rear crash bar, only about a
foot to a foot and a half from the CB antenna.

My question is, if I transmit on 40 meters SSB at full power
(nominally 100 watts, actually more like about 70 watts or so), am I
likely to damage the front end of the CB radio? Will it matter if the
CB radio is turned on or off?

I could crank the power on the IC-706 back to as little as 10 watts
but it's going to be hard enough to raise any QSOs with the full 100
watts of power.

On the other hand, the motorcycle CB is big bucks to replace and I'd
be just as happy not to damage it...

Thanks...

If the CB is off, you are likely not to have problems. If it is on,
it is possible. I don't know how likely, tho, as the quality of the
front end may make all the difference.

--
73 for now
Buck

Old June 1st 05, 07:39 PM
Rocky Roads

lol

Old June 1st 05, 10:53 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Joel Kolstad wrote:

He'd be breaking the letter of the law but -- assuming he dialed the 706 back
to 5W -- not really the intent, IMO.

Depends on how you read the FCC's intent. If the intent is to limit
power output on the band, yes. If the intent is to require that all
CB transmitters be specifically certificated for this band, no.

The FCC's letters and findings (e.g. when they bust a dealer for
selling "10-meter amateur radio" systems easily converted to 11-meter
operation) seem to me to be asserting the latter pretty consistently.

I really can't imagine the FCC pursuing
the issue. True story: I used to live next door to a guy with a linear amp on
his CB, I called up the FCC field office, and they told me there wasn't
anything they could do. Said they had official monitoring stations that, if
they picked up the guy's transmission, they could go after him, but they just
didn't have the resources to pursue complaints from people calling in
violators.

They do seem to be fairly limited in their ability (or motivation) to
pursue such violations. There are quite a few places on the Net which
advertise "10-meter" radios and also offer "11-meter conversion"
services for 'em. I think I can count, on the fingers of one hand,
the number of dealerships which have been cited for such things in the
past couple of years, and I'd probably have one or two fingers left
over.

And, oh, did I want their free brochure on mitigating interference
to my own electronics?

I seem to recall that somebody (FCC, Congress, ??) pushed through a
change to the laws/regulations, and explicitly gave local
law-enforcement organizations the legal power to prosecute cases of
interference caused by illegally-amplified CB transmitters. Most
police departments are likely either to not know this or not be
terribly interested in pursuing such cases, but in case of severe
unrelenting interference from a known point of origin it might be
worth trying to get them to act on it (on "creating a public nuisance"
or similar grounds).

As to the OP's query - in his situation I'd be tempted to try to wire
up a set of RF and DC relays, which would prevent both rigs from being
powered up at the same time, and would short the antenna connection on
the unpowered rig.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old June 2nd 05, 01:54 AM
TJ

The cost of a CB intigrated system radio on a Honda Goldwing is around $900
US and it's made by Panisonic. As for the FCC nabbing a motorcyclist for
operating his amateur radio on CB, well even if they could track him it's
not worth the effort. AKA how many truckers are using a lot more than 5
watts and you don't see many of them being targetted by the FCC. I know
because I used my 706 on 11 meters when my Cobra went up in smoke on me on a
trip to Arizona. And would you believe the state tropper in the Port of
entry scale was more interested in my scanner than anything else. And then
only till he found out I was a licenced amateur, then he wasn't interested
at all. What he told me was that state law had no aurthority to do anything
when it came to radios if I held an amateur radio licence. He said the last
thing they want is the Feds breathing down on him for causing trouble to a
licenced amateur radio operator, regardless if he's from Canada, USA or
Mexico it's the same thing. But now watch yourself in the state of
Washington, the FCC is hot and heavy in this state, I think it has a lot to
do with the military bases on the Pacific Northwest.
I had my 706 on my old GL1200 and it worked like a charm, mind you I didn't
run full power, a motorcyle battery is no where near as hefty as a car or
truck battery and my head is a little too close to the antenna to suite me.
You do know wher the term "hothead" came from.

73.....ve7agw