Old June 12th 05, 11:07 PM
Walter Maxwell

"John Smith" wrote in message
J. Mc Laughlin:

That is certainly an open and honest post, which gives deep insight into the
authors mind...

It is obvious that only your close family, friends, fellow employees and local
community have any "real" weight on your considerations and efforts...

While that is fine, it would be better if you did not place yourself in a
position where you have influence over others you "have not met/don' know
their name(s)"... as, even for your ignorance of them--they are just as
important--in some instances, it is even to imagine them of even more
importance...

... but, once one can verbalize their limitations they are in a far better
position to deal with those limitations and not suffer others for their lack
thereof...

Warmest regards,
John

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
Coming from, and living in, a rural culture where people are individuals
with names, it is difficult for me to give weight to the emissions of those
without a real name or call sign.

Not to place one's name on one's work is to place no value on it. It is
irritating to see so much that is written here being given no value by the
author.

Some of the most verbose are sounding brass and tinkling bells
signifying nothing.

My opinion. My (only) name.

MAC N8TT

On point, John, would you mind telling us just what 'W.W.O.C.W.' stands for, or
is that also out of bounds, along with your real name and call sign, if any?

Walt, W2DU

Old June 12th 05, 11:09 PM
Bob Bob

Hi Reg

It is indeed very simple

Once you post to this NG it is publicly available to anyone and anything
that has an internet connection. Data about you can be farmed,
correlated and remarketed. If you have trouble believing that do a
Google on your callsign in NG's and see how many hits you get.

Even if one posts with a callsign (which I do) it is then easy to cross
reference that to a govt database containing home address etc details. I
dont have an issue with people not posting their callsigns for this
reason. If personal contact is needed it is very easy to ask and I have
never had a problem in doing so

Between me and the other experimnenter/hobbiests in this NG I have no
problem with my identity or pride thereof. It's the "dark unknowns"
grin I have the problem with.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA/WA5 Longview Texas (in 2 weeks anyway!)

Reg Edwards wrote:
Why do so few correspondents on newsgroups give their real names and
call signs?

Why the hidden secrets?

People should be proud of their call signs.

Or do radio amateurs suffer from inferiority complexes.

Back to SWR.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old June 12th 05, 11:34 PM
John Smith

Walter:

It is just a "funny."

W.W.O.C.W. = Worldwide Organization of Computer Wizards... it all
started as an in-house joke at a position I held back in the 80's--I
have kept it till this day to get responses from those who recognize it
and remember its use...

.... but, truth is, they really don't trust me with a "magic wand"...
frown

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 13th 05, 12:26 AM
John Smith

Bob:

A time back, it was pointed out to me by some individual in this thread
that they could not value anything about me--without knowing my correct
identity... I accepted that... hell, I am even wrong on a quite
regular basis--that is a MUCH better reason for double-checking my
"opinion\view\belief\etc", or, just discarding it altogether...

.... but even those who promise me they are NEVER wrong, I always
check--so you will not find me taking offense to others checking...

I am here to have a spot of fun, I get on the airwaves to have a spot of
fun... I don't take life too seriously... I like to "play" with
antennas... it is a hobby with me... a practical knowledge is all I
seek--I doubt anyone will ever call me a guru--I just don't have that
great a devotion...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 13th 05, 01:56 AM
Ed Price

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Why do so few correspondents on newsgroups give their real names and
call signs?

Why the hidden secrets?

People should be proud of their call signs.

Or do radio amateurs suffer from inferiority complexes.

Back to SWR.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

There have been some replies which provide good reasons (spam & crank
avoidance) and some lesser reasons (fear of data correlation and/or "big
brother" snooping) to hide one's identity.

OTOH, I have found that familiarity encourages and supports civility. Maybe
the human psyche needs an occasional Halloween, Day of the Dead, Masquerade
Ball (or whatever your local culture defines) as a safety valve. But on a
daily basis, I am quite uncomfortable with being asked to talk with someone
who feels the need to cloak their identity.

Thus, if you identify yourself with something like Wonkawonka or
AntennaWizzard, you place yourself at a disadvantage in my opinion of you.
You will have to exhibit true and consistent brilliance and honesty to climb
out of my initial negative evaluation of your worth.

You have a choice to identify, and I have a choice to form an evaluation of
your choices. How could anything be fairer and more fun?

--
Ed
WB6WSN

Old June 13th 05, 03:05 AM
John Smith

Ed:

Yes. Much difference in ones "attack upon the world", I respect your
right to having yours, please respect mine...

I always enjoy going to new places and meeting new people. I have no
apprehension of people I don't know--if they are interesting I will
attempt to know them--if not, they are best left as is...

My anonymity servers me quite well... I wish no recognition for my call,
my name, my age, my birthright, my bloodline, etc...

I do not seek to know others identity, a nick is good enough, I will
judge their words upon the words use to myself, and if the individual is
able to formulate it in a method which is conductive to being understood
simply (quotes of Shakespeare fails this test)... although others state
different methods in handling this and, while I will refrain from
judgment in using other methods, my methods have served me well for many
years.

Frankly, I have nothing important to impart to anyone--I have my
observations, views, beliefs, methods, etc... but I am here to pick up
knowledge rather than give... I am NOT an antenna guru... I study the
humble 1/2 wave vertical in great detail simply because it if of use to
me... if I offer "what I think I know" and it is in error--well darn,
what a perfect excuse to get the proper knowledge out, don't you think?
I am sure someone will correct it...

If you think me a danger and wanting to do "ego battle" with those egos
here big enough to fill a room--I am not, if you don't believe me, wait
until I give you reason to reprimand me and at that time give me a good
"butt kicking."

I DON'T think even the simple antenna is well understood... that is in
having a "complete understanding" of it... I will use what formulas
there is available and be darn thankful they work as well as they do...
however, I think there is more to all this than meets the eye...

And what can I say, I believe in the ether. If that opens me up to
ridicule and having fun poked at me--so be it... actually, I wish to
know more about it than the metal contraptions men build to interface
with the darn mysterious stuff!!! I am disappointed no books I have
found deal with it in a meaningful way which has practical implications
to them...

And, on my failings, I can have a "sharp tongue", but don't fear it, it
is only a tool to provoke meaningful thought and discussion--I have no
real interest in abusing others with it--abusing others does nothing for
me--I'd sooner have a friend than an enemy... but if ideas must be
gained in an adversarial forum--again, so be it...

I am a geek that likes quiet places and to think, really, all I want to
do is think and build models in my mind... I also just happen to like to
experiment with antennas...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 13th 05, 06:20 AM
Buck

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 07:41:09 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Why do so few correspondents on newsgroups give their real names and
call signs?

Why the hidden secrets?

People should be proud of their call signs.

Or do radio amateurs suffer from inferiority complexes.

Back to SWR.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

I have had this nick-name longer than my real one, so I don't suppose
I am hiding my real one, I just prefer this one. On the other hand,
if you meet me on the ham bands, you may recognize me as I use the
same call sign and name there.

PS.I can only answer for myself and for those who have given me the
authority or ability.

72

--
73 for now
Buck
Old June 13th 05, 06:31 AM
John Smith

Buck:

I'd quite imagine a "buck" by any other name--still a buck....
looking-through-rose-colored-glasses

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 13th 05, 04:27 PM
Reg Edwards

There have been interesting replies to my original query.

But for some reason I cannot explain, I feel much more comfortable
when I receive a message with a signature like "Buck, N4PGW".

At least it conveys the additional information you are located
somewhere within the few million square miles of the United States of
America.

I get as much pleasure as when messages are received from New Zealand,
down-under, and what used to be the USSR and from China.
----
Reg, G4FGQ
The Filthy Black Country
West of Birmingham
England
Europe.

Did you know there are far more miles of canals in B'ham and the Black
Country than there are in Venice? There are also hundreds of locks.
Whereas Venice doesn't have any so far as I'm aware.

Old June 13th 05, 05:01 PM
John Smith

Reg:

Well, I am a bit embarrassed there... don't really like mentioning where
I live, but will part with that information... I live in "The Land of
the Loonies"... frown

.... otherwise known as "California" USA... near the state capitol
here--Sacramento...

Warmest regards,
John