Old June 12th 05, 08:41 AM
Reg Edwards

Default Names

Why do so few correspondents on newsgroups give their real names and
call signs?

Why the hidden secrets?

People should be proud of their call signs.

Or do radio amateurs suffer from inferiority complexes.

Back to SWR.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old June 12th 05, 01:35 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
Why do so few correspondents on newsgroups give their real names and
call signs?

I'll bet your real name is Reginald. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old June 12th 05, 04:41 PM
Walter Maxwell

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Reg Edwards wrote:
Why do so few correspondents on newsgroups give their real names and
call signs?

I'll bet your real name is Reginald. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Walter is my middle name and Maxwell is my last. However, my first initial is M,
which stands for either Murgatroyd or Marmaduke, whichever you prefer.

Walt, W2DU

Old June 12th 05, 04:54 PM
John Smith

Reg:

That is a very legit question. While I cannot speak for everyone, I can
speak for myself and why methods are employed which lead some to
suspicion of those who cloak themselves in anonymity.

In my area, I am the only "free thinker" (for want of better word(s))
here (well, at least openly so.)

I enjoy radio right down to blackest pirates heart. I am as likely to
be found chatting with a trucker on the chicken band as chatting with a
person on the ham bands. I am aware of the "freebanders", however my
"discussions" with them are best left undefined.

At 50+ years old, the hams are too old in thinking even for I. I have
had them parked upon my street with their meters, doing calculations on
my power for the different bands in question. I have had harassing
phone calls from them, mail, and e-mail as they accuse and threaten what
they term my "illegal activity."

I am fed up with the whole lot of them. My course in this world is my
own. I am courteous and enjoy EVERYONE being able to communicate--I
would never knowingly or willingly stop, hamper or attempt to hinder
others and their hobbies. Unfortunately, I have not found the same in
others philosophy. I am outspoken, I will tell my opinion right up
front--I have respect for other men doing the same, they need not agree
with me, nor I with them--I find more importance in truth than in sugar
coated words.

Because of my philosophy, and a vast number in disagreement, I have had
my station here checked out twice--I passed in both instances--but don't
wish to provoke a third. It is obvious to me that someone, probably
some group (a ******* and all his friends and "good buddies.") has been
the cause of this... and while I don't suspect the CB'er and
freebanders, I now hold much caution around hams...

It ain't pretty--but is truth... and you did ask...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 12th 05, 06:23 PM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:54:31 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

the cause of this... and while I don't suspect the CB'er and
freebanders, I now hold much caution around hams...

It ain't pretty--but is truth... and you did ask...

Warmest regards,
John

If you're 100% legal, there's no reason for anonymity. Hams don't
hide.

If you're only partly legal, hmmm...

bob
k5qwg

Old June 12th 05, 06:57 PM
John Smith

Bob:

I would like to think my neighbors enjoy me. I would like to think they
would describe me as a man which can get along with anyone, is helpful,
kind to women, children and animals--a danger to no man--and willing to
help all--the type of individual one would like for a neighbor.

And, unless threatened with death, bodily injury or to be deprived of my
property or pursuit of happiness, I will NOT move a hand to stop any--I
gauge none, if their pursuits make them happy and are of no danger to
anyone else--I will generally support those endeavors.

From the general demeanor my neighbors and fellow citizens reflect
towards me--I think I am at least partially successful in my attempts to
be an acceptable member of society.

I would even like to think to I am an asset to my community rather than
a hindrance, burden or drain...

If some would still find me a "criminal" after I have fulfilled the
obligations and responsibilities as I have mentioned above--then so be
it...

.... some of my personal pursuits I engage in are of a private nature and
an exact description will have to be foregone.

Mind you! The above is not to be taken as an admission that I
masturbate in private!!! grin

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 12th 05, 08:31 PM
J. Mc Laughlin

Coming from, and living in, a rural culture where people are individuals
with names, it is difficult for me to give weight to the emissions of those
without a real name or call sign.

Not to place one's name on one's work is to place no value on it. It is
irritating to see so much that is written here being given no value by the
author.

Some of the most verbose are sounding brass and tinkling bells
signifying nothing.

My opinion. My (only) name.

MAC N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old June 12th 05, 08:38 PM
John Smith

J. Mc Laughlin:

That is certainly an open and honest post, which gives deep insight into
the authors mind...

It is obvious that only your close family, friends, fellow employees and
local community have any "real" weight on your considerations and
efforts...

While that is fine, it would be better if you did not place yourself in
a position where you have influence over others you "have not met/don'
know their name(s)"... as, even for your ignorance of them--they are
just as important--in some instances, it is even to imagine them of even
more importance...

.... but, once one can verbalize their limitations they are in a far
better position to deal with those limitations and not suffer others for
their lack thereof...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 12th 05, 09:19 PM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:57:10 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

... some of my personal pursuits I engage in are of a private nature and
an exact description will have to be foregone.

Mind you! The above is not to be taken as an admission that I
masturbate in private!!! grin

Warmest regards,
John

Well, let's hope it doesn't happen in public, either :-)

bob
k5qwg

Old June 12th 05, 09:25 PM
John Smith

Bob:

.... I promise you, all will only be able to wonder what I am doing in
that restroom for extended lengths of time...

I may just be taking in the radio with me to fool everyone...
innocent-look

Warmest regards,
John