Old September 2nd 05, 05:58 PM
Ham op

Fred W4JLE wrote:
Come on Roy, your picking an example that has nothing to do with the real
world. How many people try to work 20 meters on a 2 foot Sony whip?

Possibly the same people who want to work 80 meters on an 8 foot whip !!!!

SNIPPED

Old September 2nd 05, 06:45 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Ham op" wrote in message
Fred W4JLE wrote:
Come on Roy, your picking an example that has nothing to do with the

real
world. How many people try to work 20 meters on a 2 foot Sony whip?

Possibly the same people who want to work 80 meters on an 8 foot whip !!!!

SNIPPED

It s easy to see you have no concept of how things work. An 8 foot whip is
about as big as most mobiles can use. I just worked a friend of mine that
does a lot of camping. He uses either a screwdriver antenna or a dipole
only up about 10 to 15 feet depending on where he is at. Most distances are
around 200 miles from my house. There does not seem to be much differance
in his signal with that low dipole. I am sure the dipole would be beter if
he could get it up higher, but you use what you have.

Many times the absolute strength of the signal does not make that much
differance. It is how well you can get above the noise and qrm that is on
the bands. That is where the beter antenna and higher power come in.

All of this is for the low bands , when you get to vhf and above then the
antenna system usually becomes all important.

Old September 29th 05, 03:31 PM
Asimov

"Ralph Mowery" bravely wrote to "All" (01 Sep 05 19:38:35)
--- on the heady topic of " Amplfier opinion"

RM From: "Ralph Mowery"
RM Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:216043

RM "Ham op" wrote in message
RM ...
7.78 Db BETTER [+1 1/4 S unit] than 100 watts.

Upgrade the vertical to a beam and the net gain can be as high as +19.78
dB [3+ S units] on the path:
1] + 6 dB in receive
2] + 6 dB in transmit
3] + 7.78 dB for the amplifier.

For $1400, a beam has a much better return on investment than an
amplifier by itself.

The #1 rule I teach new or aspiring hams is "Your station efficiency,
and your enjoyment, is directly proportional to your antenna."

RM I will agree that it is best to go with a beter antenna, sometimes it
RM is just not practical. Not many can put up a beam for 80 meters and
RM not that many for ever 40 meters. Most amps will do 80 to 15 meters.

Just wondering if it wouldn't be possible to compensate for antenna
size, by actively driving the reflective, directive elements using
correctly phased amounts of power from the xmtr output. I'm probably
preaching heresy in the midst of this bunch of laurelled gurus but I
don't mind being told I'm thinking laterally, so shoot your best
flames.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Firemen are proud of their hoses.