Old October 21st 05, 06:50 AM
Richard Clark

Default Messed-Up Radials Can Generate Spurious Emissions

On 20 Oct 2005 23:53:05 -0500, wrote:

that poor joint was producing harmonics from DC to daylight!

Hi Myron,

Early Cold Fusion.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 21st 05, 07:41 AM
Ian White G/GM3SEK

Cecil Moore wrote:
I'm a part-time GED teacher. Writing is one of the most difficult
GED tests as it is not multiple choice.

What's a "GED"... when translated into English? :-)

Yet another version of 1-2-3:
1. Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em.
2. Then tell 'em.
3. Tell 'em what you've told 'em.

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK
Old October 21st 05, 12:08 PM
Amos Keag

Walter Maxwell wrote:

SNIPPED

I understand your thoughts on this, but if I had used KC in a current piece like
this one, someone would surely say I should have used KHz. So either way someone
would say I should have used the other form.

Walt

C'mon Walt, you can do better than this 'weak' response.

You could define a new term. One that includes CPS for historical
accuracy, and also includes Hz for contemporary usage. What about
combining both into a new contraction, 'CZ' ? ;-)

Old October 21st 05, 12:15 PM
ml

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:
hmm this kinda makes me wonder about my tvi

as my antenna is near the building master tv antenna

which is pretty rusty espically on the coax to antenna lugs never saw so
much rust surpirzed i can see any station

and it's missing a few elements that broke off

i've been afraid to change it since a new antenna just might be worse
then again it could be much better

wish there was a way to test if the interference was strictly due to
proximity/master amp or tv overload etc or 'sperious emissions' caused
by the tv antennas rust

i need a rust spurious emissions meter

Old October 21st 05, 12:18 PM
Cecil Moore

Ian White G/GM3SEK wrote:
What's a "GED"... when translated into English? :-)

Sorry, that's a USA term - stands for General Education Development.
It's a high school equivalency certificate issued by the state, after
passing a battery of 5 exams, to people who didn't graduate from high
school for whatever reason.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old October 21st 05, 12:46 PM
Ian White G/GM3SEK

Cecil Moore wrote:
Ian White G/GM3SEK wrote:
What's a "GED"... when translated into English? :-)

Sorry, that's a USA term - stands for General Education Development.
It's a high school equivalency certificate issued by the state, after
passing a battery of 5 exams, to people who didn't graduate from high
school for whatever reason.

Thank you - and well done, Cecil, for being part of that program.

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK
Old October 21st 05, 03:07 PM
Cecil Moore

Ian White G/GM3SEK wrote:
Thank you - and well done, Cecil, for being part of that program.

There's a fringe benefit. Some of those kids have pretty
cute grandmas. :-)
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 21st 05, 03:14 PM
K7JEB

Hi Walt,

Enjoyed reading the story. Thanks!

I live about 1/2 mile from a 50 kW broadcast station
on 1360 kHz here in West Phoenix/Glendale and am
within 5 miles of another half-dozen running 5 - 20 kW.
Recently I became quite aware of a bad splice in the
wires on my 80/40-meter dipole through the appearance
of mixing products from the broadcasters all up and
down both bands. Of course, I also saw the problem
on transmit, having one value of SWR at 5 watts and an
entirely different one at 500 watts. I hate to think
of how many "mystery signals" I was generating in the
process of getting that bit of test data! I keep telling
people I am going to cut that bad splice out and patent
it. How many mixer diodes do you know about that can
handle half a kilowatt.

73,
Jim, K7JEB

Old October 21st 05, 03:23 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:00:49 -0400, Walter Maxwell wrote:
On 21 Oct 2005 02:50:10 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:05:31 -0400, Hal Rosser wrote:

I noticed also you referred to frequencies in KHZ. But shouldn't that have
been "KC" or for historic accuracy.
;-)

Well, it should've been "kc/s".
More 'short-handedly': "kcs".
A Hertz is a "cycle per second".

Jonesy W3DHJ

Then I should have said KHz/s, or KHzs, right?

_That_ would be doubly redundant. :-)
It would be the equivalent to saying "kilo-cycles per second per second".
Some sort of "FM propagation", I suppose.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
Old October 21st 05, 03:24 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:14:31 -0700, "K7JEB" wrote:

Hi Walt,

Enjoyed reading the story. Thanks!

I live about 1/2 mile from a 50 kW broadcast station
on 1360 kHz here in West Phoenix/Glendale and am
within 5 miles of another half-dozen running 5 - 20 kW.
Recently I became quite aware of a bad splice in the
wires on my 80/40-meter dipole through the appearance
of mixing products from the broadcasters all up and
down both bands. Of course, I also saw the problem
on transmit, having one value of SWR at 5 watts and an
entirely different one at 500 watts. I hate to think
of how many "mystery signals" I was generating in the
process of getting that bit of test data! I keep telling
people I am going to cut that bad splice out and patent
it. How many mixer diodes do you know about that can
handle half a kilowatt.

73,
Jim, K7JEB

Interesting, Jim, I believe the US Patent Office is open for business. Looks
like I've started something.

Walt