Old October 20th 05, 07:57 PM
Walter Maxwell

Default Messed-Up Radials Can Generate Spurious Emissions

Messed Up Ground Radials Can Generate Spurious Signals

In 1948 I was the consulting engineer for the proposed first AM broadcast
station in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, obtaining a construction permit and license
for WCEN, 500 watts on 1150 KHz. Using a National HRO receiver, I was performing
a hands-on search for an available frequency for the new station, when I
encountered an interesting and unusual signal that was entirely out of place in
the AM broadcast band-a CW Morse-code station illegally transmitting
five-letter-word code groups at 30 words per minute. The illegal signal was S9
+40 dB on 1297.8 KHz, producing a 2200 Hz beat-note with the 1300 KHz frequency
of WOOD, Grand Rapids, thus producing a an audible CW signal with the receiver
BFO disabled.
The format of the coded messages appeared to be military, IDing as NSS. We
know that NSS is the flagship station of the U.S. Navy in Annapolis, MD, but in
the AM broadcast band? It appeared that either an NSS transmitter was producing
a spurious emission, or a station using NSS as a fraudulent call sign was
operating clandestinely in the AM broadcast band. I deemed it important to find
out which.
As a former FCC monitoring officer at the Allegan, Michigan monitoring
station, the next step was to report the situation to the Allegan station.
Although Allegan was 90 airline miles away, the monitoring personnel there could
not hear the spurious signal, even though it was S9 +40 dB at Mt. Pleasant. I
let the FCC monitors hear the signal through the telephone, but they still heard
nothing on their receivers tuned to 1297.8 KHz. Thus the signal must be of local
origin near Mt. Pleasant, and not from NSS. However, to be on the safe side, FCC
notified the Navy of the spurious signals, and the NSS operators began combing
all their transmitters for spurious signals, and found none. The situation is
now becoming even more strange.
I then copied five minutes of the coded text and sent a copy to the FCC,
who relayed it to NSS for comparison to their transmissions. The situation is
now both perplexing and frustrating, because the text I copied on 1297.8 KHz
agreed exactly with a transmission that had been made by NSS. How could that
signal have been transmitted on 1298.7 KHz if no spurious signals were emanating
from NSS? But it's not likely to have been a fraudulent station. What then?
A partial answer came shortly thereafter. As I resumed the search for a
useable frequency for the new station, I proceeded downward from 1298.7 KHz,
going through 1280 KHz and hearing WFYC, Alma, 1000 watts, 15 miles away, also
S9 +40 dB. But on continuing further downward I immediately came across another
S9 +40 dB thumping CW signal. I switched on the BFO and discovered the CW was
also a five-letter-word coded transmission at about 30 wpm, the same as NSS. I
retuned to 1298.7 KHz and the NSS signal was also there, as before. So I cranked
up a second receiver to monitor both frequencies simultaneously. Surprise! Both
frequencies were showing identical simultaneous transmissions. I then measured
the frequency of the lower-frequency signal-1262.2 KHz. Voila! The higher CW
frequency was 17.8 KHz above WFYC's 1280 frequency and the lower CW frequency
was 17.8 KHz below WFYC's frequency. A quick reference to the Berne frequency
listing showed NSS assigned to 17.8 KHz. This situation now appeared to indicate
something very wrong going on at WFYC. The low-frequency world-wide ground-wave
signal from NSS was apparently somehow mixing with the signal from WFYC, and
producing the 1297.8 and 1262.2 sum and difference frequencies. But what
non-linear device in WFYC's system could perform that mixing? Don't know, but I
reported this new information to the FCC and that was the last I heard of the
situation…until…
Fast forward now to 1955. I was now employed as an electrical engineer at
the RCA Laboratories, the David Sarnoff Research Center in Princeton, NJ. An
assignment took me to Washington, D.C. to attend the annual conference of the
NAB, the National Association of Broadcasters. President Dwight D. Eisenhower
gave the keynote address. However, one of the technical forums was presented by
Jack Young, Chief Engineer of the RCA Broadcast Division. His topic was on the
solution of mutual interference between two broadcast stations in Los Angeles,
KFI and KNX.
It seems that in a section of the Los Angeles area it was impossible to
hear one of these stations without hearing both simultaneously-when tuned to 640
KHz for KFI, both KFI and KNX were heard, and when tuned to 1070 KHz for KNX,
both KNX and KFI were heard. Young was assigned the task of determining the
cause of the interference and eliminating it. To make a long story short, he
discovered that there were ancient and rusty oil well derricks in the affected
area. Currents from both KFI and KNX transmissions were being induced in the oil
well towers, and the rusty joints were acting as mixers for the two frequencies,
producing both the sum and difference frequencies, as well as re-radiating both
signals on their original frequencies. When the derricks were removed the
interference stopped.
So how is this incident relevant to the NSS problem? Well, at the
conclusion of Young's presentation I had the opportunity to talk with him, and
because of the similarity of the problems, I told him of my discovery of the NSS
signals appearing in the AM broadcast band. Talk about coincidences! He was
surprised and excited to learn that I had discovered the NSS problem at WFYC,
because he was the one assigned to determine the cause of the problem. He had
never been told how that problem originated, or how the problem had been
discovered.
He then explained that he had found the ground radial system under the WFYC
antenna a horrible mess. Cold solder joints throughout, and far ends of the
radials hanging loose in the water of the nearby Pine River, establishing the
non-linear mixer condition that resulted in the sum and difference frequencies
being generated between the NSS and WFYC signals. Cleaning up the messed-up
radials ended the appearance of the NSS signals in the AM broadcast band, thus
concluding an interesting journey.

Walt, W2DU

Old October 20th 05, 08:20 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:57:21 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

thus concluding an interesting journey.

Hi Walt,

I want to point out that your story has all the elements demanded of a
well written English composition. Some engineers who've been
horse-whipped through bone-head grammar classes bristle at the topic.
However, one simple lesson was probably lost (given it appears so
seldom here) in that punishment. A story (or any posting) needs:
a beginning;
a middle;
an end;
and should be have no spelling errors to speak of.

You've surpassed those simple elements by a consistently engaging in
good yarns.

Thanx,
Richard Clark, KB7QHC, B.A.
Old October 20th 05, 08:39 PM
Amos Keag

Richard Clark wrote:

SNIPPED

story (or any posting) needs:
a beginning;
a middle;
an end;
and should be have no spelling errors to speak of.

I just recently read that a good Preacher should follow a similar structu

A Good beginning
A Good ending
And as little as possible in the middle

Oh well !!!

Old October 20th 05, 08:44 PM
Larry Benko

Walter Maxwell wrote:
Messed Up Ground Radials Can Generate Spurious Signals

Walt,

Keep up the stories. They are very interesting....

73,
Larry, W0QE
Old October 20th 05, 09:16 PM
Walter Maxwell

wrote:

thus concluding an interesting journey.

Hi Walt,

I want to point out that your story has all the elements demanded of a
well written English composition. Some engineers who've been
horse-whipped through bone-head grammar classes bristle at the topic.
However, one simple lesson was probably lost (given it appears so
seldom here) in that punishment. A story (or any posting) needs:
a beginning;
a middle;
an end;
and should be have no spelling errors to speak of.

You've surpassed those simple elements by a consistently engaging in
good yarns.

Thanx,
Richard Clark, KB7QHC, B.A.

Richard, your approval of my writings is like receiving a million-dollar jack
pot. Words cannot descibe how much your approval as an English major is
appreciated.

Walt, W2DU, B.S.

Old October 20th 05, 09:18 PM
Cecil Moore

Amos Keag wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:

SNIPPED

story (or any posting) needs:

a beginning;
a middle;
an end;
and should be have no spelling errors to speak of.

I just recently read that a good Preacher should follow a similar
structu

A Good beginning
A Good ending
And as little as possible in the middle

Oh well !!!

I'm a part-time GED teacher. Writing is one of the most difficult
GED tests as it is not multiple choice. We teach the following
format for the writing test.

A beginning - a one paragraph statement of a principle or premise
A middle - three paragraphs based on three major points of argument
An end - A one paragraph conclusion summarizing the three points

The people in Austin who grade the GED writing tests like that format.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 20th 05, 09:26 PM
Cecil Moore

Walter Maxwell wrote:
Richard, your approval of my writings is like receiving a million-dollar jack
pot. Words cannot descibe how much your approval as an English major is
appreciated.

Y'all shudda did ah reright in Suthurn so us Texians kud unnerrstan.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 20th 05, 09:44 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:26:55 GMT, Cecil Moore wrote:

Walter Maxwell wrote:
Richard, your approval of my writings is like receiving a million-dollar jack
pot. Words cannot descibe how much your approval as an English major is
appreciated.

Y'all shudda did ah reright in Suthurn so us Texians kud unnerrstan.

Cecil, shud I huv writ my last 3 emales ta ya in Suthurn so ya kud of unnerrstud
em sufeeciently ta reeplie?

Waalltre
Old October 20th 05, 09:49 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:20:35 -0700, Richard Clark wrote:

Richard, in my previous post I intended to say that my last story I sent to you
was the first rough draft. Unfortunately, my first drafts are disasters, and
after cleaning it up I submitted it to QST, who has promised to review it.

Walt

Old October 20th 05, 09:56 PM

Cleaning up the messed-up
radials ended the appearance of the NSS signals in the AM broadcast
band, thus
concluding an interesting journey. .........................

I think a lot of the MW garbage I receive on 160m, etc, is
generated much the same way. I've even seen people say
that semi corroded stranded copper wire, even insulated
can cause problems like that. And...I've been seeing stronger
and stronger MW energy here every year it seems... I'm starting
to wonder if the standed wire theory may not be too far fetched,
as most all my wire is stranded, and most is getting some age
on it. I also seen to notice even the water heater or pipes seem
to generate spurious MW energy.. Been driving me crazy the last
few years, and seems to be slowly getting worse.
Not to mention all the other sources of trouble like fences, guy
wires, bad connections, etc.
I don't doubt bad radials could cause that for a minute...I've seen
things like that around here in mildew city from all kinds of bad
connections.. Once had a bad "rf in the shack" problem...Turned
out to be nothing more than corroded/rusted balun hardware at
the antenna feedpoint. Cleaned that up, bingo, all gone. MK