Old November 11th 05, 02:35 PM
Jeff Dieterle

Default Am reception

Pardon me if this is the wrong group to find some answers. I'm using a GE
Superadio III and would like to receive 2 frequencies. AM670 from Chicago
and AM1070 from Indianapolis predominantly night time listening. I work
inside a factory and can't receive either of these unless I get near an
outside window or go outside.

I'm considering buying a tuned loop for these 2 frequencies from
http://www.amradioantennas.com/. He's quoted me a price of 85 us$ including
shipping and insurance. Does anyone have experience with this type of tuned
loop antennae. I've ran RGU-6 coax from my office to the factory roof,
(appx.75ft) as I doubt if the loop would pull these in from inside my office
which is inside the factory.

Is there a less expensive alternative than the loop since I have coax
installed ?

Thanks
Jeff

Old November 11th 05, 02:47 PM
'Doc

Jeff,
I think the first thing I'd try would be to just add a length of
wire to the end of the cable on the roof. If It does any good, add a
longer length of wire and see what happens. Is it a 'cure-all'? Nope,
but certainly easier/cheaper/faster than getting a loop antenna...
'Doc
Old November 11th 05, 04:03 PM
Cecil Moore

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
Is there a less expensive alternative than the loop since I have coax
installed ?

Just tie an external wire to the coax center
conductor and try it - may not work but it
doesn't cost much to try.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 11th 05, 04:45 PM
Bob Miller

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:35:15 -0500, "Jeff Dieterle"
wrote:

Pardon me if this is the wrong group to find some answers. I'm using a GE
Superadio III and would like to receive 2 frequencies. AM670 from Chicago
and AM1070 from Indianapolis predominantly night time listening. I work
inside a factory and can't receive either of these unless I get near an
outside window or go outside.

I'm considering buying a tuned loop for these 2 frequencies from
http://www.amradioantennas.com/. He's quoted me a price of 85 us$ including
shipping and insurance. Does anyone have experience with this type of tuned
loop antennae.

I have a similar loop from C.Crane company. It works well. But these
loops need to be in close proximity to the radio's built-in antenna.
Simply putting the loop up on the roof at the end of the coax won't do
any good. Using the loop indoors, inside the factory, would be a crap
shoot... don't think it would be worth the $85. I'd look at some sort
of outdoor antenna, as others have suggested.

bob
k5qwg

Old November 11th 05, 05:00 PM
Jerry Martes

"Jeff Dieterle" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jeff

The 75 feet of coax between the outside antenna and the radio will also be
a capacitor shunting the signal to ground across the front end of the
receiver. That can be a serious loss of signal at AM frequencies.
An amplifier on the roof is one solution.

It is fairly easy to build a loop so that concept can be evaluated prior
to spending the $85. You are aware that the tuned loop on the roof will
require the antenna to be adjusted for each of the two frequencies you want.
Is that practical for your application?

Jerry

Old November 11th 05, 05:33 PM

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
I've ran RGU-6 coax from my office to the factory roof,
(appx.75ft) as I doubt if the loop would pull these in from inside my office
which is inside the factory.

Is there a less expensive alternative than the loop since I have coax
installed ?

Thanks
Jeff

Did you connect the coax to anything at all, or is it just coax
going outside to the roof,
Connecting it to the metal gutters or something like that might really
help the reception.
If there are no metal gutters or anything like that, connect a long
piece of wire to the center conductor of the coax and lay it out on the
roof.

You might also try just taking a piece of wire and connecting it to
the back of the GE SRIII, connect it to the AM screw terminal on the
back of the radio and take that wire over to the window and see if that
works, or you can continue that wire all the way from the back of the
radio all the way out to the roof.

I also remember something like winding wire around something like a
Quaker oatmeal container, contecting both ends of this wire to a small
air variable cap and just placing this antenna right behind the GE SR,
near its internal antenna. You can then tune the cap for peak reception
and then turn it and the radio to get the stations you want, this coil
of wire enhances the internal antenna of the GE SR.

Craig

Old November 11th 05, 07:36 PM
Dave Platt

Default Rick Littlefield K1BQT article on feeding extended double zepps

Does anybody have a copy of K1BQT's article from the Summer 1997 issue
of Communications Quarterly, on a method for constructing a 2-meter
extended double zepp antenna with a novel feed/matching arrangement?
If so, can I get a scanned copy somehow?

advTHANKSance!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old November 12th 05, 01:35 AM
Dave Platt

Hi Dave,

I have the CommQuart issue that has Rick's article. However, it's the Fall
issue, not the summer. I'm in the process of scanning it for you. Give me a few
minutes. Is the mail address shown above the correct one for email?

Hi, Walt! I just received the article I was thinking of (pages 104
and 106 of the Summer '97 Communications Quarterly) from another ham.

If that's the same article you have, then no need to send it. If
there's another version in the Fall '97 issue which is different, then
I'd love to have it as well.

The EDZ described in the Summer issue is an interesting one. It's a
lot lighter in weight than the only other 2-meter EDZ plans I've seen
(the latter being a copper-pipe variety with a different matching
and balun arrangement).

Both look like useful designs, although since they're long and require
side-mounting from a mast or tower they're probably less convenient
for home use than ground-plane or J-pole antennas.

Yes, my email address is correct.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO