Old December 1st 03, 05:33 PM
Willy

Default G5RV

I just started on hf bands and i usiing now a FD4 from Fritzel and I hear
all goods things about the G5RV.
Is that so, works it's also great on 10 and 15m?
I have not to much space for a full size beam but a mini beam works also
good I think. But most of beginners started with a wire like a G5RV???
If I buy a G5RV is that with a Balun or without a balun what's the best??

73's Dave on4dsq

Old December 1st 03, 06:58 PM
Cecil Moore

Willy wrote:
I just started on hf bands and i usiing now a FD4 from Fritzel and I hear
all goods things about the G5RV.
Is that so, works it's also great on 10 and 15m?

Nope, it's not very good on 10m and 15m. It is especially bad on 30m.
It works well on 80m, 40m, and 20m with a tuner. EZNEC says it also
works well on 12m. A G5RV is not an all-HF-band antenna but I have
an all-HF-band antenna on my web page.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 13th 03, 02:50 AM
Lloyd Mitchell

Steve,
If yu can handle a full sized one 102' and you'll be very happy. Now you can
build it yourself OR you can buy one from various vendors. Me I decided to
"stay as true to G5RV's article" and bought a G5RV from W7FG.com as it is
tru ladder line and actually is only two wires from the PL259 connector to
the end. simple and it works. http://www.w7fg.com/ant.htm

G5RV 80 - 10 Meters (102 Feet)
With 31 feet of Ladder Line.........................$35
Requires Coax from supplied UHF Male connector to equipment.

Lloyd KD4HTW

"Steve Silverwood" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I just started on hf bands and i usiing now a FD4 from Fritzel and I

hear
all goods things about the G5RV.
Is that so, works it's also great on 10 and 15m?
I have not to much space for a full size beam but a mini beam works also
good I think. But most of beginners started with a wire like a G5RV???
If I buy a G5RV is that with a Balun or without a balun what's the

best??

I have a "shorty" G5RV -- the full-length version goes to 80m, and
there's one for 160, but mine only goes 40m to 10m -- which does a
fairly decent job. It's not mounted in the best of places, due to the
need for me to be somewhat stealthy at my condo. I also run only QRP
power levels, mainly to mitigate the risk of interference complaints
among the neighbors, and have managed to make more than my share of
contacts using 5w on phone from 20 to 10 meters during contests like the
recent ARRL Sweepstakes. Hopefully conditions (and available operating
time) will be good for 10m this month for the ARRL 10m Contest.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Old December 13th 03, 10:53 AM
Alexander Schewelew

Hi!
G5RV 80 - 10 Meters (102 Feet)
With 31 feet of Ladder Line.........................$35
Requires Coax from supplied UHF Male connector to equipment.

and symmetrical ATU ..........................$???

Old December 13th 03, 01:50 PM
Reg Edwards

The G5RV works better by removing all the coax and taking open-wire line of
any convenient length all the way back to the shack. Dipole length can be
increased by as much as 40 feet with benefit.

Old December 13th 03, 03:08 PM
Mike Coslo

Reg Edwards wrote:
The G5RV works better by removing all the coax and taking open-wire line of
any convenient length all the way back to the shack. Dipole length can be
increased by as much as 40 feet with benefit.

Not much of a G5RV then is it, Reg?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 13th 03, 08:03 PM
Reg Edwards

Mike sed,
Not much of a G5RV then is it, Reg?

-----------------------

Exactly !

For all-round, multi-directional, multi-elevation, multi-band working, DX
and local, there is nothing better than a random length dipole with a
random-length high-Zo feedline, which is what most people want and which
will conveniently fit into your backyard, plus a simple home-made 1:1 choke
balun on a ferrite ring from your junk box, plus a tuner of some sort.

Without any coax the G5RV fits in there somewhere. A sentiment with which
that grand old English gentleman himself, Louis Varney, would
whole-heartedly agree. Are you hearing me Louis wherever you are? Three
dots for Yes.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old December 13th 03, 08:31 PM
Mike Coslo

Reg Edwards wrote:

Mike sed,

Not much of a G5RV then is it, Reg?

-----------------------

Exactly !

For all-round, multi-directional, multi-elevation, multi-band working, DX
and local, there is nothing better than a random length dipole with a
random-length high-Zo feedline, which is what most people want and which
will conveniently fit into your backyard, plus a simple home-made 1:1 choke
balun on a ferrite ring from your junk box, plus a tuner of some sort.

Hard to disagree, xince that's what I use!

Without any coax the G5RV fits in there somewhere. A sentiment with which
that grand old English gentleman himself, Louis Varney, would
whole-heartedly agree. Are you hearing me Louis wherever you are? Three
dots for Yes.

There seem to be many different antennae called G5RV. I wonder when the
G5RV vertical will come out? ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 13th 03, 09:19 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
For all-round, multi-directional, multi-elevation, multi-band working, DX
and local, there is nothing better than a random length dipole with a
random-length high-Zo feedline, ...

My non-random length high-Z0 feedline is better, Reg, i.e., NO tuner losses.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp