Old February 1st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dansawyeror

Default editing 'helix' construct with 4nec2 graphical editor

All,

Has anyone figured out how to edit a 'helix' object in 4nec2? Creating a helix
works, however it creates a line entry per segment. Is there a way to create a
helix with the graphical editor that has multiple segments per card entry?

Thanks - Dan
Old February 1st 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Frank

Looks to me like there is a bug in the geometry editor "Create Helix"
command, as I have also noticed the same problem. I sure makes for some
really messy looking code. The helix also appears with the axis normal to
the edit page. Have not figured out how to rotate it yet. Whoever wrote
this interface program did a great job, but seems a heck of a lot easier
just to work at the card level.

Frank

Old February 1st 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dansawyeror

Thanks. That was wondering if that was the case. Every once in a while the
editor converts all my segments into wires. All of a sudden the card file will
jump from a few cards with segments to dozens of cards with one segment. This is
what the helix command does. It could be the same root cause??

Generally the editor is really easy to use for wires. Have you used the select
group and Control M features yet? They make changing a group of wires straight
forward.

I wonder about the accuracy of the power calculations. They seem too high.

I am experimenting with modeling loaded dipoles versus folded dipoles, extended
W's or M's.

Thanks - Dan

Old February 1st 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Arie

Hello Frank and Dan,

red your discussions with interest. Some few answers:

The helix also appears with the axis normal to the edit page

Yes, you are correct. To get another orientation select XZ, YZ or XY
plane,
before creating the helix.

Have not figured out how to rotate it yet

Select all segments using Ctrl+A or select the required segments by
drawing
a rectangle around them and select 'Edit-Rotate/Move wires' on the
menu-bar.

Every once in a while the editor converts all my segments into wires. All of a
sudden the card file will jump from a few cards with segments to dozens of
cards with one segment

Hmmm, do not have an explanation for this yet. Did you change the
segmentation-
density between subsequent edit sessions ?

I wonder about the accuracy of the power calculations. They seem too high.

Please, let me know if you think you found an error. I would very much
like to
hear this,

Thanks for 'testing' and remarks,

Arie.

Old February 1st 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Frank

Hi Dan, hopefully Arie is following this thread, and he may have the
contacts to resolve these questions. I have not done anything with the
editor concerning wires. Your comments make me think I should take a look
at it.

What do you mean by power calculations? The only power info I am aware of
is the total radiated power. This power is a little misleading in that it
does not consider ground absorbtion, and is only valid above a perfectly
conducting ground. The e-field Vs angle info is accurate for all
conditions. The true radiated power can be obtained by summing these data
over a hemispherical region.

Hope you get some correlation on the loaded dipoles when compared with the
8405 measurements.

Old February 2nd 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dansawyeror

Arie,

Thank you. I tried your suggestion to capture all the segments in a helix. The
first problem is "the edit option" is not always available. Sometimes the edit
is not available. Have you seen this? Anyway, it is not possible to use edit.
Control M does not work either.

Dan

Old February 2nd 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Arie

Hello Dan,

concerning the 'Edit' option being available, this depends on the
allowable actions for the object-type selected to edit and/or add. The
number of items under the 'Edit' option also depends on the object-type
selected.
You can also click a wire, EX or LD and then use the right mouse-button
to enter the edit-menu.

About the Control-M, probably I forgot what to use it for. Could you
give me a hint what you would like to do with this.

Arie.