Old February 11th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John, N9JG

Default Anti-oxidant grease question

Be careful about trusting my memory. I bought the can several months ago,
and I didn't save the invoice because I knew I had more than a lifetime's
supply. When you do find the price, go ahead and post it here.

"Mr Fed UP" wrote in message
Ok thanks. That looks affordable then. With out prices its hard to tell
these days.
I have an ol AR-10 Ringo that I used back in the 90's for 10 m DXCC and
has
been in storage for several years. I think putting some compound on the
joints
may make it work as new again. I been delaying this task so I could get
it
up and have it work right the first time.

Thanks 73 K4TWO Gary

"John, N9JG" wrote in message
I did buy a can of the stuff from them, but note that a can will last a
lifetime for you and ten of your friends. Just fill out the order on the
web page, and one of their sales persons will phone you and give you the
price. If you don't like the price, you don't have to complete the order.
As I recall, it may have been about $25 for quantity one. The call back
and the shipment were both done promptly.

Old February 11th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

Here is a penetrox link from a ham supplier.
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.a...No =DXE%2DP8A

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:53:41 -0600, "Mr Fed UP"
wrote:

Well that figures.... just like so many on line places to buy things they
have everything there but the PRICE!!!
They expect me to return or fart around trying to get some one to put a
price on everything I want to buy?

"John, N9JG" wrote in message
Another product that works very well is Lawson 59933 Copper Anti-Seize
Anti-Corrosion Compound
http://webapp.lawsonproducts.com/web...?itemNum=59933
This is the same product that comes with a Butternut vertical antenna. It
consists of a synthetic grease base, copper, thickener, and rust
inhibitor. It can withstand temperature ranges from -65°F to 1800°F, which
should be adequate for most ham applications.

John, N9JG

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
I am a big fan of Penetrox-A. It is sold in a small squeeze-bottle that
is
just right for most tasks. It is also a good anti-galling material to
use
when screwing SS to anything.

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old February 11th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Larry Benko

Come on folks. This stuff is cheap compared to maintenance. A 1 minute
web search finds Noalox at Home Depot stores for $8.95 for an 8oz.
bottle. Penetrox is about the same price but not sold by Home Depot.

Larry, W0QE
Old February 11th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mr Fed UP

Sorry ... whine wasn't about the price... it was about advert's with out any
prices.
They want our business but too lazy or dumb to post prices with the ad's
Big radio stores included check most of the ad's in your handy QST and
you can see that they make YOU work to find prices. Maybe Wal-Mart
will get into radios , then the price competition can start LOL

My apologies to those who know all and have deep pockets.

If you don't like the postings.... well if your that smart I don't need to
finish.

Thanks 73 K4TWO Gary

Old February 11th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Larry Benko

I must have mis-understood your whine but my comment was not directed to
ward anyone. From my point of view, unless I enjoy talking about
connections that are unreliable (I don't), the price of Penetrox or
Noalox is really cheap compared to having to disassemble connections and
clean them.

Larry, W0QE

Old February 12th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

A little more info:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives...7.65.48.146%5D

Old February 12th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim - NN7K

Not to mention, that Home Depot (and Lowes), have even smaller bottles ,
4 oz,$6.00 , and think even 2 oz tubes, for even less! And a little
goes a long way! Jim NN7K

Old February 14th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mr Fed UP

Well for those of us who don't get around so well, it was nice to have a
product name to ask for.
Home Depot had an even smaller tube 1/2 oz and I got some steel wool to
buff things up first.
both less than $6. I probably would have been an hour finding that tiny
tube hanging in the store.
With more days behind me now than ahead.... and hoping my next antennas
will be new ones. It should last me till my end. Kinda like buying a tube
of water pipe compound
once you use it once the rest hangs around forever. LOL
Thanks for brand name to ask for. Saved lots of steps I can't spare these
days.

73 K4TWO Gary

et...

Old February 14th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

With more days behind me now than ahead....
There are a lot of us with that condition!
Time and physical demands have become important considerations on
projects. And the increasing memory problems that make it harder than
ever to find where I put things...