Old September 7th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Need Advice on configuration.

A fellow ham asked me to help him configure a Globe Linear Amp to his
Kenwood TS-520 and antenna tuner. It appears to me that the Globe will not
let receive signals pass back to the transceiver. This was proven in the
shop while hooking up an antenna directly to the Kenwood then putting the
linear in line and loosing the receive signal.

I posted a schematic of the Globe Linear on my web site at
http://www.ppinyot.com/HomePage.htm. Click on the top most picture to
expand the image. It does not appear to me that there is a return path for
reception.

How would one accommodate this linear with a transceiver? Do I need two T/R
relays to make this work?

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Old September 7th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Does the TS 520 have an input for a "receive antenna?"

I did this with my TenTec Paragon and a Gonset Amp.

I used one dow key relay with the common to the antenna. The receive
position went to the "receive antenna" rca jack and the transmit went to the
output of the amplifier.

You key the relay from the xcvr.

So in the transmit position the relay closes and output from the radio goes
to the amplifier and to the antenna via the relay.

In the RX mode the signal comes from the antenna then into the relay and
finally to the "receive antenna" jack on the radio.

Old September 7th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Typically, you'll need two Dow-Key DK-60 series or similar coax relays.
You can also use one of the more expensive Dow-Key (Kilovac) dual
coaxial relays. If you need a diagram, I'll send it along to you.
Also, given the relative power levels, you can get away with one coax
relay and one other, RF "usable" SPDT relay. That may save you some
grief and money. Again, I have the info if you'd like it.
de K3HVG

Old September 7th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Paul, Looking at the Globe schematic, it appears there's no control
circuitry within the amplifier, per se. The tubes are biased to cutoff
in either Class B or C, depending on mode (SSB or CW). That's OK... The
Kenwood T/R relay is not made to switch 115v AC line voltage inasmuch as
one side of the T/R switch is grounded and because the relay contacts
are not designed to handle two inductive loads (relay coils). What,
then, will also be needed is an intermediary relay, to be keyed by the
Kenwood. This int. relay will, in turn key the two actual changeover
relays. It may sound a bit convoluted, but it'll work just fine. Parts
should not be a problem and you can use the "box" for any future
amplifiers! de K3HVG

Old September 8th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

The TS 520 is 160 watts in, the LA1 is 300 watts in. The difference will not
be really noticed to a station on the other end.
Better to sell the Globe an auction site as a collectable and use the $$ to
buy a real linear

--
Carl
WA1KPD

Old September 8th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thanks to all who replied. Your comments helped confirm what I suspected.
I am a new ham about 1.75 years experience. But quite middle aged.

Thanks
Paul P