Old January 1st 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default FYI: Origin Of BoatAnchor

Whether legend, myth, or fact, here is the best guess of the origin of BA

THREE VERSIONS -- Opinions From The Internet.

Version I -- During World War II, Military Radio Techs used the term
BoatAnchor as they struggled with the huge, heavy, electronic equipments of
the day -- full of transformers, tubes etc. Also the US Navy frequently
marked electronic gear with an anchor. After the war -- tons of the
equipment appeared on the surplus market and was dubbed BoatAnchors due to
the reasons above - one or both.

Version II -- After WWII a national magazine editor answered a query "As
what to do with an outdated heavy, large, surplus electronic instrument?"
and answered "Tie a line to it and use it as a BoatAnchor"

Version III A letter to the editor appeared on page 16 of the October 1956
issue of CQ and was as follows: Gentlemen: I recently acquired a "Signal
Corps Wireless Set. No. 19 MK II Transceiver." Are there schematics or
conversion data for this rig? Any info will be appreciated.

The editor replied: The only conversion we seem to have on the files here at
CQ calls for 100 feet of 1" Manila line, one end of which is to be tied
securely around the MK II Transceiver.

This then converts the unit into a fine anchor for a small boat. If any
readers have better conversions we will be glad to hear about them. Ed.

Happy New Year -- CL

Old January 1st 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I believe that Version I and II are correct. Only the timeline may be
subject to query. There was quite a disdain for certain B/A's in the
40's and 50's and they were, indeed, referred to as B/A's. In 1946, QST
said the BC-375 and 191 were useful for parts only and one would suffer
a pink ticket from the FCC seconds after it was put on the air. I also
have one surplus conversion manual that states of the BC-640 (a
heavy-duty VHF transmitter): "This unit will generate TVI even when
turned off...". That was then and now is now.... Yesterdays junk is
today's treasured B/A. And... don't even THINK about adding an S-meter
to that BC-342...! Hi!!
de K3HVG

Old January 1st 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

K3HVG ) writes:
I believe that Version I and II are correct. Only the timeline may be
subject to query. There was quite a disdain for certain B/A's in the
40's and 50's and they were, indeed, referred to as B/A's. In 1946, QST
said the BC-375 and 191 were useful for parts only and one would suffer
a pink ticket from the FCC seconds after it was put on the air. I also
have one surplus conversion manual that states of the BC-640 (a
heavy-duty VHF transmitter): "This unit will generate TVI even when
turned off...". That was then and now is now.... Yesterdays junk is
today's treasured B/A. And... don't even THINK about adding an S-meter
to that BC-342...! Hi!!
de K3HVG

But 3 is an absolute. I've seen that issue of CQ, well I did read
the letter in CQ though I can't verify the issue, and there was such
a letter.

And 2 could actually be a variant on 3, since it is far vaguer (no
magazine mentioned, no specifics, no names).

In other words, the one about CQ can be verified, while the others
are fairly nebulous.

Michael VE2BVW

Old January 1st 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Error---- I should have said Item II and III. The CQ issue mentioned
does indeed refer to B/A's. Item I would, then, continue to be only
conjecture....

Old January 4th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Caveat Lector" ) writes:
... they struggled with the huge, heavy, electronic equipments of
the day -- full of transformers, tubes etc.

Tubes don't weigh much.
Martin VE3OAT

Old January 4th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Martin Potter" wrote in message
"Caveat Lector" ) writes:
... they struggled with the huge, heavy, electronic equipments of
the day -- full of transformers, tubes etc.

Tubes don't weigh much.
Martin VE3OAT

A lot more than IC's (:-)
CL

Old January 8th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Caveat Lector wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that II and III could be verified as having been written after
reading microfillm copies of old magazines. I doubt that anyone could
come up with the origin of the term Boatanchor however. Who was the
first guy in supply to have uttered that or more coloful descriptives
as they hoisted them onto 6x6 trucks some place in the pacific.

Old January 8th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Well it is documented as 1956
Do you have a previous documented date ??

Many things are uttered thruout the ages but origins are typically sited
from a documented source
73 CL

"John S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 8th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Well, that was my point. It is all but impossible to tie phrases like
Boatanchor back to the who it originated with. Sure we can find a
magazine where the phrase appeared, but who knows where the author
heard the phrase.

The most we can say right now is that 1956 is that is the earliest date
we have found the phrase Boatanchor in print. It is not in any way
synonymous with the origin of the phrase.

Caveat Lector wrote:
Well it is documented as 1956
Do you have a previous documented date ??

Many things are uttered thruout the ages but origins are typically sited
from a documented source
73 CL

"John S." wrote in message
ups.com...