Old February 16th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Hammarlund PRO-310 ??

I just got one and the medallion on the front is missing. Anyone have a
spare or know where I can get one or how to make one. The dial cords
need to be restrung and there's no diagram in the manual so I'd like to
know if anyone has the info in their archives. The cord is quite hard
and heavier than anything I've seen before, about 0.080 inch , or 2 mm
in diameter pretty close to No. 12 wire. Where would I get some?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old February 16th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in
message
. net...
I just got one and the medallion on the front is missing.
Anyone have a spare or know where I can get one or how to
make one. The dial cords need to be restrung and there's
no diagram in the manual so I'd like to know if anyone has
the info in their archives. The cord is quite hard and
heavier than anything I've seen before, about 0.080 inch ,
or 2 mm in diameter pretty close to No. 12 wire. Where
would I get some?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

I ran across a web site detailing the restoration of the
Pro-310. I think it was N5QT but I can't get into that site.
According to this site these are particularly difficult
receivers to work on. This fellow has had to have parts made
for it and discusses the dial string problem. If you can get
in touch with him he may have a source for the medallion and
other parts.
I remember seeing and playing with a PRO-310 at Henry
Radio when they were brand new.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 16, 7:42 am, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:
I just got one and the medallion on the front is missing. Anyone have a
spare or know where I can get one or how to make one. The dial cords
need to be restrung and there's no diagram in the manual so I'd like to
know if anyone has the info in their archives. The cord is quite hard
and heavier than anything I've seen before, about 0.080 inch , or 2 mm
in diameter pretty close to No. 12 wire. Where would I get some?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Was this the $900 one on Ebay? Other than the dial cord problem, does
it seem to work ok?

Paul, KD7HB

Old February 17th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

The PRO-310 is a gorgeous receiver. Unfortunately, it has a case built
inside a case and is very difficult to work on. On the broadcast band, it
is single conversion, which presents a problem for images.

There were two different color models and they were too expensive to
manufacture. They are certainly collector's items.

Colin K7FM

Old February 17th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
nk.net...
The PRO-310 is a gorgeous receiver. Unfortunately, it has
a case built inside a case and is very difficult to work
on. On the broadcast band, it is single conversion, which
presents a problem for images.

There were two different color models and they were too
expensive to manufacture. They are certainly collector's
items.

Colin K7FM

Well, lots of receivers are single conversion on the
broadcast band and do not have image problems. It seems to
me that the PRO-310 did have some problems, something to do
with the gain structure I think. It got fixed but they were
simply too expensive to compete at the time. For about the
same price one could buy a 75A4, which is arguably a better
ham receiver and could buy RX such as the GPR-90 for less
money.
It would be interesting to know the story behind the
PRO-310, it was beautiful, worked well, but just missed the
mark.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 17th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

It missed the mark in its day but today they're scarce and quite
collectible. I recall reading the review back in 56 when I was in high
school and have been after one ever since. this is the second one I've
ever seen. Kinda like if there was only one dandelion everyone would
like to have in their lawn.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
.. .

nk.net...

Old February 17th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

"Well, lots of receivers are single conversion on the
broadcast band and do not have image problems."

Well, that is true, but what I left out was that the if is 50 kHz. It is
the only radio to my knowledge that runs 50 kHz ifs with single conversion.

The bandspread tuning is quite unique. There was supposed to be a run of
1,000 - but I bet less than 100 are still around. Maybe the other 900 are
still in a warehouse and will show up on the surplus market one of these
days - ha.

I have one.

Colin K7FM

Old February 18th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

Gets,

How about a picture of you personal units on the binaries?

And Henry Please keep us posted either RAR+P or on the boatanchors
thread/group of your choice.

Paul.

Old February 18th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Well, lots of receivers are single conversion on the
broadcast band and do not have image problems."

Well, that is true, but what I left out was that the if is
50 kHz. It is the only radio to my knowledge that runs 50
kHz ifs with single conversion.

The bandspread tuning is quite unique. There was supposed
to be a run of 1,000 - but I bet less than 100 are still
around. Maybe the other 900 are still in a warehouse and
will show up on the surplus market one of these days - ha.

I have one.

Colin K7FM

50Khz, I will have to look at the schematics. I knew
there was a low frequency IF involved in order to get sharp
selectivity using conventional components. 50khz _would_ be
likely to have problems with images.

--
---
Richard Knoppow