Old December 9th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Sort of boat anchor

Hi gang,
I'm looking for the schematic of the old Archer "Space Patrol" walkie
talkie or similar. I think this tpye all used a very similar circuit with a
superregenerative rx that used the same stage as a non-crystal controlled
oscillator on tx along with a 2(?) stage audio amp.

Any help?

Tnx

Bob WB0POQ

Old December 10th 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bob wrote:
I'm looking for the schematic of the old Archer "Space Patrol" walkie
talkie or similar. I think this tpye all used a very similar circuit with a
superregenerative rx that used the same stage as a non-crystal controlled
oscillator on tx along with a 2(?) stage audio amp.

A lot of companies in Japan made these things, and they all copied one
another in much the way Chinese manufacturers do today.

Here's a typical design:
http://yb3td.com/data/walkietalkie.html

As I recall, the Archers that I had as a kid were crystal-controlled for
transmit but used an adjustable LC network for receive tuning. I remember
moving one to 10M at one point but the audio quality was very bad and of
course there was no squelch...
--scott
Old December 10th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
No Name

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the response. I found that site a few days ago, and was playing
around trying to get that circuit to work, until I noticed that there is no
DC path for collector current for Q1.
Also, there seems to be an issue with how L1 and L2 and the associated caps
are connected. I moved a few things around and got Q1 to work as an
oscillator and a superregen detector (I think), but have not built up the
audio and the switching circuits yet.
I'm still hoping to find some other examples of these cute little rigs.

Bob

Old December 10th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article , b wrote:
Thanks for the response. I found that site a few days ago, and was playing
around trying to get that circuit to work, until I noticed that there is no
DC path for collector current for Q1.

Hmm... you're right, that's really creepy. You think maybe base and collector
are swapped here?

I was thinking at first that maybe the base leakage did the trick, which
could be possible if it's a germanium type.

Also, there seems to be an issue with how L1 and L2 and the associated caps
are connected. I moved a few things around and got Q1 to work as an
oscillator and a superregen detector (I think), but have not built up the
audio and the switching circuits yet.
I'm still hoping to find some other examples of these cute little rigs.

I can send you a Lafayette one if I can find it. You're welcome to draw the
schematic out.
--scott

Old December 10th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
No Name

Scott,
I don't think the base and collector are swapped as the biasing looks
right as drawn on the presumed base, plus, if so then there would be no path
for base current.
Thanks for the offer of the Lafayette, I'd love to get a look at it.

Old December 10th 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article , b wrote:
Scott,
I don't think the base and collector are swapped as the biasing looks
right as drawn on the presumed base, plus, if so then there would be no path
for base current.
Thanks for the offer of the Lafayette, I'd love to get a look at it.

Give me an address and I will mail it. Your email in your post is not
valid.

Looking inside it, it looks way higher quality than the Archer. It has two
transformers inside!
--scott

I will say, though, that the RF performance on the Teenage Mutant Ninja
Turtle 49 Mhz walkie-talkie when moved to 6M is much better than on the
Archer Space Cadet walkie-talkie when moved to 10M. Either one is really
fun to write on a QSL card, though.

Old December 11th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article , b wrote:
Thanks for the response. I found that site a few days ago, and was playing
around trying to get that circuit to work, until I noticed that there is no
DC path for collector current for Q1.

Hmm... you're right, that's really creepy. You think maybe base and collector
are swapped here?

I was thinking at first that maybe the base leakage did the trick, which
could be possible if it's a germanium type.

Also, there seems to be an issue with how L1 and L2 and the associated caps
are connected. I moved a few things around and got Q1 to work as an
oscillator and a superregen detector (I think), but have not built up the
audio and the switching circuits yet.
I'm still hoping to find some other examples of these cute little rigs.

I can send you a Lafayette one if I can find it. You're welcome to draw the
schematic out.

I think you're right, the circuits were so simple that there wasn't much
variation. Any schematic, I suspect they are in the RCA transistor guides
among other places) would make a good start for circuit tracing. You have
an end circuit to visualize and use the actual circuitry to "test" the
schematic, either it's going to match or be close.

Michael VE2BVW
Old December 15th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article , b wrote:
Scott,
I don't think the base and collector are swapped as the biasing looks
right as drawn on the presumed base, plus, if so then there would be no path
for base current.
Thanks for the offer of the Lafayette, I'd love to get a look at it.

No joke. Get me your physical mailing address and I'll send it to you.
But you have to email me your address.
--scott
Old January 1st 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

* I'm looking for the schematic of the old Archer "Space Patrol" walkie
talkie or similar. *I think this tpye all used a very similar circuit with a
superregenerative rx that used the same stage as a non-crystal controlled
oscillator on tx along with a 2(?) stage audio amp.

I can email scanned pages of the entire "manual" (two pages!-) of the
Archer
60-4005 "Space Patrol Walkie Talkie" or I can put them on my website
and
let you snarf them yourself. Your call.
--W0PBV.

FA: old boat anchor stuff [email protected] Swap 0 July 7th 05 09:52 PM
and yet another boat anchor book Wbelsito Boatanchors 0 November 22nd 04 02:22 PM
boat anchor book Wbelsito Boatanchors 0 November 18th 04 04:24 AM
BOAT ANCHOR TUBES AA5JJ Boatanchors 4 October 20th 03 01:35 AM
BOAT ANCHOR TUBES AA5JJ Boatanchors 0 October 15th 03 11:35 PM