Old October 15th 14, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Running Swan at low power

Barry OGrady wrote:

I purchased a Yaesu FTDX-400 from an online auction. I have not
attempted to test the transmitter as I lack a suitable antenna or
dummy load. However after some time listening to 40 metres
a circuit breaker in a power board popped out. I reset the CB
and there was a loud bang and a puff of smoke from the area
of the power supply. A quick look under the chassis did not show
anything obvious.

Well, get out the meter and start looking. Apt to be a bad capacitor
or a bad diode (or something else failed due to a shorted capacitor).
The meter will tell you for sure.

Your main worry is collateral damage from bad caps.
--scott

Old October 15th 14, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 10/14/2014 8:43 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Barry OGrady wrote:

I purchased a Yaesu FTDX-400 from an online auction. I have not
attempted to test the transmitter as I lack a suitable antenna or
dummy load. However after some time listening to 40 metres
a circuit breaker in a power board popped out. I reset the CB
and there was a loud bang and a puff of smoke from the area
of the power supply. A quick look under the chassis did not show
anything obvious.

Well, get out the meter and start looking. Apt to be a bad capacitor
or a bad diode (or something else failed due to a shorted capacitor).
The meter will tell you for sure.

Your main worry is collateral damage from bad caps.
--scott

He has a lot more problems than that. It was the CME last month that
caused his problems.

He got that radio right after he finished converting a rig from 1 meter
to 2 meters

The next thing he'll ask is how to get the rig working on 11 meters.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old October 15th 14, 10:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 21:24:27 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

On 10/14/2014 8:43 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

What do you call this 14th month?

Barry OGrady wrote:

[...]

The FTDX-400 will remain with one meter although meters have been
replaced by LCDs.

The next thing he'll ask is how to get the rig working on 11 meters.

Its certainly possible given it has the ability to add three 500Khz
bands.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

OK.

Jerry, AI0K

==================

--
Biologists agree that descent with modification is one of the most reliably
established facts in science. Discoveries in evolutionary biology have made
Old October 15th 14, 11:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:

On 10/14/2014 8:43 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

What do you call this 14th month?

BarryOGradyStoopidityember.

Barry OGrady wrote:

[...]

ROFLMAO!

The next thing he'll ask is how to get the rig working on 11 meters.

Its certainly possible given it has the ability to add three 500Khz
bands.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle