Old October 12th 14, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Running Swan at low power

I have an old 500 Swan that has been sitting a while. Pulled it out and find it blowing fuses. I can probably get it back up with a cap job and resistors but have no idea about the tubes. Were working 10 years ago when it was parked.

My question though is how to use this old piece QRP. Can I disable the finals and somehow run off the driver? What circuits to set output impediance and filter? What changes in tuning up? What about in CW mode?

I know very few would consider using a boat anchor for QRP but I need watching anyway I love the feel of the knobs and the tube audio.

If you got any thoughts, let me know.

73 AE4YW Mitch
Old October 12th 14, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 10/12/2014 10:19 AM, HM Dickson wrote:
I have an old 500 Swan that has been sitting a while. Pulled it out and find it blowing fuses. I can probably get it back up with a cap job and resistors but have no idea about the tubes. Were working 10 years ago when it was parked.

My question though is how to use this old piece QRP. Can I disable the finals and somehow run off the driver? What circuits to set output impediance and filter? What changes in tuning up? What about in CW mode?

I know very few would consider using a boat anchor for QRP but I need watching anyway I love the feel of the knobs and the tube audio.

If you got any thoughts, let me know.

73 AE4YW Mitch

You could, but it would take a major redesign of your output circuit.
You would have to disconnect the output of the driver from the final and
install a new final circuit (the output impedance of the driver stage
will not be the same as that of the finals).

And even then it will most probably still blow fuses.

The Swan 500 was a nice rig when it was new. If it were mine, I'd fix
the problem(s) and put it back on the air. It may need recapping - but
it might also be something much simpler.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old October 13th 14, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 07:19:17 -0700 (PDT), HM Dickson
wrote:

I have an old 500 Swan that has been sitting a while. Pulled it out
and find it blowing fuses. I can probably get it back up with a cap
job and resistors but have no idea about the tubes. Were working 10
years ago when it was parked.

My question though is how to use this old piece QRP. Can I disable
the finals and somehow run off the driver? What circuits to set
output impediance and filter? What changes in tuning up? What about
in CW mode?

I know very few would consider using a boat anchor for QRP but I need
watching anyway I love the feel of the knobs and the tube audio.

If you got any thoughts, let me know.

Generally amateur radio operators don't have thoughts, but one option
used by many is to put in a stronger fuse.

I have a Yaesu FTDX-400 which ended up tripping a circuit breaker in
a power board. The fuse did not blow because it has been replaced
by one with a much higher rating.

73 AE4YW Mitch

10-4 on that.

--
Biologists agree that descent with modification is one of the most reliably
established facts in science. Discoveries in evolutionary biology have made
Old October 14th 14, 12:45 AM
Senior Member

Thats the worst advice I have ever heard.
The fuse is there to protect the radio.
INcreaSiNG THE fuse size only creates more problems.
The capacitors are there for a purpose also.

When resurrecting old radios it is very important to bring the power up slowly with a Variac.
Because you did not do that, you are screwed.

I doubt if just putting fuses into it, along with capacitors is going to solve the problem.

Swans were a POS even when they were new.

Your best bet is to shine it up real nice and use it as a conversation piece.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old October 14th 14, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 10/13/2014 7:45 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:
Thats the worst advice I have ever heard.
The fuse is there to protect the radio.
INcreaSiNG THE fuse size only creates more problems.
The capacitors are there for a purpose also.

When resurrecting old radios it is very important to bring the power up
slowly with a Variac.
Because you did not do that, you are screwed.

I doubt if just putting fuses into it, along with capacitors is going to
solve the problem.

Swans were a POS even when they were new.

Your best bet is to shine it up real nice and use it as a conversation
piece.

He's just a troll and has been effectively kicked out of numerous
newsgroups. He's not even a ham. So his "advice" is about normal for
his IQ.

--
==================

Old October 14th 14, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Channel Jumper wrote:

Thats the worst advice I have ever heard.
The fuse is there to protect the radio.
INcreaSiNG THE fuse size only creates more problems.
The capacitors are there for a purpose also.

OK so far.

When resurrecting old radios it is very important to bring the power up
slowly with a Variac.
Because you did not do that, you are screwed.

The vaiac is a good idea, but not essential.

I doubt if just putting fuses into it, along with capacitors is going to
solve the problem.

Old capacitors are just about the only thing that go bad from sitting.

A tube can get gassy while sitting, but it isn't common nor hard to determine.

Swans were a POS even when they were new.

Most people think they were pretty good for their time.

Your best bet is to shine it up real nice and use it as a conversation
piece.

I was wondering when you would go off the deep end...

--
Jim Pennino
Old October 14th 14, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 00:45:25 +0100, Channel Jumper
wrote:

Thats the worst advice I have ever heard.
The fuse is there to protect the radio.
INcreaSiNG THE fuse size only creates more problems.
The capacitors are there for a purpose also.

When resurrecting old radios it is very important to bring the power up
slowly with a Variac.
Because you did not do that, you are screwed.

I doubt if just putting fuses into it, along with capacitors is going to
solve the problem.

Swans were a POS even when they were new.

Your best bet is to shine it up real nice and use it as a conversation
piece.

You failed to quote anything.
Assuming you are referring to my comment to increase fuse rating
it was meant to be a joke.

Old October 14th 14, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:43:33 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

On 10/13/2014 7:45 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:

What do you call this 13th month?

Thats the worst advice I have ever heard.
The fuse is there to protect the radio.
INcreaSiNG THE fuse size only creates more problems.
The capacitors are there for a purpose also.

When resurrecting old radios it is very important to bring the power up
slowly with a Variac.
Because you did not do that, you are screwed.

I doubt if just putting fuses into it, along with capacitors is going to
solve the problem.

Swans were a POS even when they were new.

Your best bet is to shine it up real nice and use it as a conversation
piece.

He's just a troll and has been effectively kicked out of numerous
newsgroups. He's not even a ham. So his "advice" is about normal for
his IQ.

I'm glad you are not talking about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unlike most hams I do not put nails in the fuseholder.

Old October 14th 14, 06:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 01:22:01 -0000, wrote:

Channel Jumper wrote:

[...]

I purchased a Yaesu FTDX-400 from an online auction. I have not
attempted to test the transmitter as I lack a suitable antenna or
dummy load. However after some time listening to 40 metres
a circuit breaker in a power board popped out. I reset the CB
and there was a loud bang and a puff of smoke from the area
of the power supply. A quick look under the chassis did not show
anything obvious.

I paid less than AU$100 including freight so I figure it would be
worth that much still to a valve enthusiast.

--
Jim Pennino

Old October 15th 14, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 10/13/2014 06:45 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:
Thats the worst advice I have ever heard.
The fuse is there to protect the radio.
INcreaSiNG THE fuse size only creates more problems.
The capacitors are there for a purpose also.

When resurrecting old radios it is very important to bring the power up
slowly with a Variac.
Because you did not do that, you are screwed.

I doubt if just putting fuses into it, along with capacitors is going to
solve the problem.

Swans were a POS even when they were new.

Your best bet is to shine it up real nice and use it as a conversation
piece.

Yep Barry OGrady is a know troll and not worth bothering with