Old January 6th 05, 07:43 PM
Phil Nelson

Default Hallicrafters SX-28 tuning gearbox restoration

Hallicrafters SX-28 owners may be interested in this article about restoring
the SX-28 tuning gearbox:

http://antiqueradio.org/SX-28Gearbox.htm

Thanks to Doug Moore for writing this detailed saga, and to Hallicrafters
Collectors International for giving permission to mirror it on my website.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old January 6th 05, 11:10 PM
Uncle Peter

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hallicrafters SX-28 owners may be interested in this article about

restoring
the SX-28 tuning gearbox:

Awwwwk! NOW I understand why you painted the front-panel!
You saved a parts set from oblivion! My hero!

Pete

Old January 6th 05, 11:29 PM
Phil Nelson

Awwwwk! NOW I understand why you painted the front-panel!
You saved a parts set from oblivion! My hero!

All credit goes to Doug Moore, the author of this article. (I'm just the
messenger :-)

Regards,

Phil Nelson

Old January 7th 05, 07:07 AM
Scott W. Harvey

Phil Nelson wrote:
Hallicrafters SX-28 owners may be interested in this article about restoring
the SX-28 tuning gearbox:

http://antiqueradio.org/SX-28Gearbox.htm

Thanks to Doug Moore for writing this detailed saga, and to Hallicrafters
Collectors International for giving permission to mirror it on my website.

Excellent article......I hope I never have to actually do this!

Incidentally, I've discovered a pretty good way to remove those C rings.
There are several of them on the gear train of a direlict Hammarlund
SP-600 I'm restoring now. Description follows:

Get two pairs of small needlenose pliers. Ideally, these should be the
kind that are somewhat flat on the ends rather than pointy.

Orient the C ring so that each end of the "C" is pointed towards the
bottom (like an inverted U)

Position the first pair of needlenose so that one tip is resting on the
end of the shaft, toward the top, and the other tip is resting on the
left end of the C ring.

Position the second pair of needlenose so that one tip is resting on the
end of the shaft, toward the top, and the other tip is resting on the
right end of the C ring.

Now, carefully apply a gentle squeezing to the handles of both pairs of
needlenose pliers simultaneously, and the C ring will begin to spread.
When it is about halfway off, you can then insert a small screwdriver
and gently pry the C ring the rest of the way off. Be careful not to
score the shaft.

To re-install a C ring you have removed, simply place the spread-open C
ring back on the shaft, and then take a pair of long nose pliers and
squeeze the edges of the ring until it closes as much as it can on the
shaft. Voila!

-Scott

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:

Need a schematic? check out the Schematic Bank at:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/

Archive of alt.binaries.pictures.radio binary postings:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/abpr/
Old January 7th 05, 07:50 AM
Phil Nelson

Did you read the part about restringing and the dial directions? That
gets me wondering about the direction issue again...

I think the consensus was that SX-28s seem to have come working both ways
from the factory. My personal preference would be to have the dial move in
the same direction as the knob, but some folks (including me) swear they
have an original-looking SX-28 that moves the opposite way.

I still haven't decided whether that preference is strong enough to make me
cut off the perfectly-functional new bandstring and install a new one that
works the other way. Guess I'll have to decide by the time I finish
repainting/relettering the front panel. Once the panel is in place, it's
trickier, although not impossible, to replace that string.

Regards,

Phil Nelson

Old January 7th 05, 03:07 PM
Al Parker

C-clips

It sure helps if you have 3 hands when using this method ;-)

Al, W8UT

Old January 7th 05, 06:03 PM
Scott W. Harvey

Al Parker wrote:
C-clips

It sure helps if you have 3 hands when using this method ;-)

Al, W8UT

Three hands not required. I can get one of these rings off in about two
seconds using the described method, with two hands, no problem.

I have seen the "official" tool that was originally used to
attach/remove these rings, and it is a fairly complicated
gizmo....Probably unobtainable unless special-ordered. With that tool,
it's a one-handed job.

-Scott

Old January 7th 05, 06:30 PM
t.hoehler

"Scott W. Harvey" wrote in message
Al Parker wrote:
C-clips

It sure helps if you have 3 hands when using this method ;-)

Al, W8UT

Three hands not required. I can get one of these rings off in about two
seconds using the described method, with two hands, no problem.

I have seen the "official" tool that was originally used to
attach/remove these rings, and it is a fairly complicated
gizmo....Probably unobtainable unless special-ordered. With that tool,
it's a one-handed job.

-Scott

It's sorta like those plastic Heyco cord strain reliefs that pinch down on
the cable, and then you push it thru a double D hole in the chassis. They
are a b@@ch to put in with pliers, but with the heyco tool, it's a simple
one handed job.
Regards,
Tom/

Old January 10th 05, 03:36 AM
Brian Denley

Phil Nelson wrote:
[...]

Is there supposed to be a mechanical stop to keep one from turning the band
change dial too far and screwing it up, or from turning it the wrong way??

--
Brian Denley

Old January 10th 05, 11:37 PM
Phil Nelson

Is there supposed to be a mechanical stop to keep one from turning the
band change dial too far and screwing it up, or from turning it the wrong
way??

Yah, there definitely is a stop at both ends. That is, if you try to go
below the lowest band, or above the highest one, you hit a stop. My second
set is in pieces right now, so I can't investigate.

There is a detent mechanism at the rear end of the bandshaft which might
have a hard stop. Again, this thing is all over the workbench, so I can't
say for sure. But that's where I would put a stop if I were designing a
multi-band radio.

Below is a diagram for stringing the tuners. It mentions a blocking washer,
and also says that you may break the cord if tension and knot position in
the tuning is not correct.

http://antiqueradio.org/art/temp/SX28DialStringing.jpg

I can't testify that this information will be identical for SX-28 and
SX-28A. Your mileage may vary :-)

From using my first SX-28, I have to say that the stop feels more mechanical
(i.e., look at your detent assembly), not like hitting the end of a string.
If your bandswitch turns smoothly from one band to the next, is it possible
that somebody disassembled the bandshaft and left out some pieces, or forgot
to tighten things down?

Regards,

Phil Nelson