Old October 9th 03, 07:32 PM
Ron

Also whilst on the subject of refurbing these old beasts are
there any new panel transfers available? so I could
have the front and cabinet resprayed and re lettered?
Like the Halicrafters logo and the red and white lettering
I've seen new dials for the R1155 so maybe someone
is producing these items?
from Ron...

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:46:26 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

Hi Frank thanks for the info, I wish Bama did have the manual
but when I download what they say is the manual all I get
is a couple of pages on replacing the ballast resister (
from Ron....

The S-77 is described as the AC/DC version of the S-40B. The power supplies
are the major differences, the alignment instructions should be the same.
So, try downloading the S-40B manual, or any of the others from the S-40
series.

Frank Dresser

Old October 9th 03, 08:04 PM
--exray--

Ron wrote:

Also whilst on the subject of refurbing these old beasts are
there any new panel transfers available? so I could
have the front and cabinet resprayed and re lettered?
Like the Halicrafters logo and the red and white lettering
I've seen new dials for the R1155 so maybe someone
is producing these items?
from Ron...

RockSea Enterprises has the lettering for many of the Hallicrafters models.
http://members.aol.com/RockSeaEnt/

-Bill

Old October 10th 03, 06:47 PM
donutbandit

(Ron) wrote in
:

Hi
This looks like a sensible news group! who but sensible people
would want to repair and play with Old Knackered Radios )
Being a lonely Brit trying to refurbish an old American Radio
I'm a bit stuck, I have repaired the old girl and it works very
well after sitting in a garage for many years as a home for
spiders, But I can't seem to align it correctly in as much as
I can't get the osc to track the dial reading and keep it in
good spec across the band? also I'm a bit worried about the
bandspread dial, it reads 100 with the tuning cap fully in
this means as you go up from 0 to 100 you are going down in
frequency? is this right? or has someone strung the dial cord
incorrectly? do I align it with the bandspead cap fully meshed
or not? I could really do with the alignment instructions has
anyone got them out there? I've looked for a manual but they
either want lots of $ (whatever they are ) or the ones that
are available don't have the circuit or alignment details (
Also Are there any transfers or refurb material available
I'd love to respray it but don't want to lose the original
transfers or logo, any help very welcome
from Ron G3YUH

I recently aligned my S-77 using the instruction from the BAMA site. Not
hard at all.

Keep in mind, very important - make sure that the first thing you check is
the range of the tuning dial. If this is off (mine was) it can cause all
kinds of trouble. There are index marks at each end to set it's travel.

I was able to get all bands quite close except for the high one. It tracks
fine at low end, but above 30 MHz it's off. I messed with it awhile and let
well enough alone. Who listens above 30 MHz anyway? I set it to track
correctly on 19 and 16 meters.

Old October 11th 03, 08:35 AM
Ron

Hi
Yes I had problems with both the setting of the dial and the tracking
on Band 4 I think you have to accept a little variance but I'm very
pleased with its performance and have been using it on 40mtrs CW
alongside my Home Brew QRP CW Tx.

Re The Transfers well in my searches I came across this

http://www.lazertran.com/

If you read the Ink jet one it appears that you can print a design on
this paper which become waterproof on drying and can then be cut
out soaked and wet slide transfered on to any surface including paint
or metal!! so you could I assume take a close up digi photo of any
logo or decal, clean it up and print it ready for use, nice little
niche market hi!!!
thanks from Ron...

On 10 Oct 2003 17:50:17 GMT, donutbandit wrote:

(Ron) wrote in
:

Are there any transfers or refurb material available
I'd love to respray it but don't want to lose the original
transfers or logo, any help very welcome

You won't find any specific to the S-77.

Old October 11th 03, 08:56 AM
--exray--

Ron wrote:

Re The Transfers well in my searches I came across this

http://www.lazertran.com/

If you read the Ink jet one it appears that you can print a design on
this paper which become waterproof on drying and can then be cut
out soaked and wet slide transfered on to any surface including paint
or metal!! so you could I assume take a close up digi photo of any
logo or decal, clean it up and print it ready for use, nice little
niche market hi!!!
thanks from Ron...

If the decals from RockSea aren't complete enough, drop Mike a line and
I'm sure he'll be happy to add any missing words. He posted here some
while back before jumping into Halli decals looking for all the various
words, etc used on the sets.
If you want to DIY your own decals thats easy enough. A font that is
VERY close to the Hallicrafters font is named CHANL and you should be
able to find it on the web.
Waterslide decals via your own printer are great but inkjets are at the
bottom of the heap for producing a decal that works on a dark background
because of the inherent transparency in the ink. Laser Jet is better,
ALPS dry transfer is perfect and your local copy store is great with
their $30k machines if you bring along the decal paper stock...about $1
per sheet.

-Bill M