Old October 9th 03, 03:07 AM
Space Charge

Ron:

It's up there, all right, but it's in some whacky .djvu format, which
some other docs up there are in as well; you need the right plug-in to
make MSIE work with it, and MSIE, I think, is the only way you're
going to be able to view it. It won't allow you to export the doc
either, except as individual .BMP files. (Everyone always has to have
a new format...sigh. Too bad they just couldn't stick with the
standard .PDF file format...)

I usually run Mozilla, and the plug-in just will not work with it at
all; if you are running Netscape you might have problems too, as the
rendering engine on Mozilla and Netscape are the same.

I'll try and get it into a .PDF format; if I'm successful, I'll let
you know. I may have to dump every page into a bitmap, and imprt that
into Acrobat, which is pretty much the leading recognized electronic
document format.

-Lin/KJ6EF

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:25:12 GMT, (Ron)
wrote:

Hi
This looks like a sensible news group! who but sensible people
would want to repair and play with Old Knackered Radios )
Being a lonely Brit trying to refurbish an old American Radio
I'm a bit stuck, I have repaired the old girl and it works very
well after sitting in a garage for many years as a home for
spiders, But I can't seem to align it correctly in as much as
I can't get the osc to track the dial reading and keep it in
good spec across the band? also I'm a bit worried about the
bandspread dial, it reads 100 with the tuning cap fully in
this means as you go up from 0 to 100 you are going down in
frequency? is this right? or has someone strung the dial cord
incorrectly? do I align it with the bandspead cap fully meshed
or not? I could really do with the alignment instructions has
anyone got them out there? I've looked for a manual but they
either want lots of $ (whatever they are ) or the ones that
are available don't have the circuit or alignment details (
Also Are there any transfers or refurb material available
I'd love to respray it but don't want to lose the original
transfers or logo, any help very welcome
from Ron G3YUH

For email responses, remove "nospam_".
Old October 9th 03, 03:42 AM
--exray--

Space Charge wrote:

I usually run Mozilla, and the plug-in just will not work with it at
all; if you are running Netscape you might have problems too, as the
rendering engine on Mozilla and Netscape are the same.

I'm also using Mozilla (1.3) and have no problems with the browser
plug-in. If you can't get it to fly, try the Solo viewer. It works
independently from your browser and has lots more features anyway.
You can download it here....bottom of page.
http://www.tuberadio.it/utils.htm
You can export the pages and get whatever format you prefer or print
dump into a pdf creator (and watch the file size go way up).

-Bill

Old October 9th 03, 06:29 AM
Space Charge

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:42:24 -0400, --exray-- wrote:

I'm also using Mozilla (1.3) and have no problems with the browser
plug-in.

Ah, the vagaries of software...

If you can't get it to fly, try the Solo viewer. It works
independently from your browser and has lots more features anyway.
You can download it here....bottom of page.
http://www.tuberadio.it/utils.htm
You can export the pages and get whatever format you prefer or print
dump into a pdf creator (and watch the file size go way up).

-Bill

Interesting! Will give it a try! Tnx!

BTW, using Moz 1.0.2 here...so many code bana-peels to slip on in some
of the later releases, I just held back upgrading for the last stable
version at the time...might also be why the plug-in didn't install
properly....who knows..in the Windows/OS/Bizzaro World, All Things Are
Possible...

-Lin
For email responses, remove "nospam_".

Old October 9th 03, 06:53 AM
--exray--

Space Charge wrote:

BTW, using Moz 1.0.2 here...so many code bana-peels to slip on in some
of the later releases, I just held back upgrading for the last stable
version at the time...might also be why the plug-in didn't install
properly....who knows..in the Windows/OS/Bizzaro World, All Things Are
Possible...

-Lin

Well, FWIW, although I use Mozilla it has done nothing to impress me.
Same old bugs throughout the various versions. What hacks me off more
is the attitude of the development group folks..."its a fault of your
video card" and "why don't you rewrite it and correct the fault and
submit it?".
Nope, not ready for prime time. You don't have to be a Bill Gates fan
to see how his company has cornered so much of the market. :-(

-ex

Old October 9th 03, 07:20 PM
Ron

Yep you are right again it was my plug in, it has some sort
of bug in as much paging from 1 down it just circles round
the first three pages? If I start from the last page up then I
see the manual!! weird one.
All ok on the old S-77 it is one fine receiver now that its
realigned, I'm afraid I gave in and modified it slightly as it
kept blowing the mains trip in my house, I've fitted a
small mains transformer on the chassis above the smoothing
cap and rewired the heaters to parrallel from serial and
changed the audio and rect valves to 6.3 and it really is ace!
I've left all the original wiring in place, nothing chopped out
so it could easily be put back to original, thanks for all the
help.
from Ron g3yuh.....

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:07:53 GMT, "Brian Goldsmith"
wrote:

"Ron" wrote

Hi Frank thanks for the info, I wish Bama did have the manual
but when I download what they say is the manual all I get
is a couple of pages on replacing the ballast resister (
from Ron....

*** The manual on Bama is 13 pages of good quality copy,I have just
checked it.
Brian Goldsmith.

Old October 9th 03, 07:32 PM
Ron

Also whilst on the subject of refurbing these old beasts are
there any new panel transfers available? so I could
have the front and cabinet resprayed and re lettered?
Like the Halicrafters logo and the red and white lettering
I've seen new dials for the R1155 so maybe someone
is producing these items?
from Ron...

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:46:26 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

Hi Frank thanks for the info, I wish Bama did have the manual
but when I download what they say is the manual all I get
is a couple of pages on replacing the ballast resister (
from Ron....

The S-77 is described as the AC/DC version of the S-40B. The power supplies
are the major differences, the alignment instructions should be the same.
So, try downloading the S-40B manual, or any of the others from the S-40
series.

Frank Dresser