Old November 12th 03, 06:35 AM
TchrMe

Default Halli Asbestos Problem

Hello all,
I was recapping my S-106 earlier today and discovered the insides of the
original bottom cover has an exposed layer of asbestos! Since it is solid and
not crumbling except alittle near the edges, I took it outside and sprayed it
with a clear lacquer to seal it. How have others dealt with this?
I was also wondering about the need for the asbestos in the first place. I
don't think the bottom components get very hot, but halli engineers wouldn't
have spent the money if it wasn't needed. Maybe this radio was designed to be
on for long periods of time. Any thoughts?
73 Mike KF6KXG
Old November 12th 03, 09:50 AM
Ed Price

"TchrMe" wrote in message
Hello all,
I was recapping my S-106 earlier today and discovered the insides of the
original bottom cover has an exposed layer of asbestos! Since it is solid

and
not crumbling except alittle near the edges, I took it outside and sprayed

it
with a clear lacquer to seal it. How have others dealt with this?
I was also wondering about the need for the asbestos in the first

place. I
don't think the bottom components get very hot, but halli engineers

wouldn't
have spent the money if it wasn't needed. Maybe this radio was designed to

be
on for long periods of time. Any thoughts?
73 Mike KF6KXG

How did you manage an eyeball chemical analysis?

Ed
wb6wsn

Old November 12th 03, 11:56 AM
- - Bill - -

TchrMe wrote:
Hello all,
I was recapping my S-106 earlier today and discovered the insides of the
original bottom cover has an exposed layer of asbestos! Since it is solid and
not crumbling except alittle near the edges, I took it outside and sprayed it
with a clear lacquer to seal it. How have others dealt with this?
I was also wondering about the need for the asbestos in the first place. I
don't think the bottom components get very hot, but halli engineers wouldn't
have spent the money if it wasn't needed. Maybe this radio was designed to be
on for long periods of time. Any thoughts?
73 Mike KF6KXG

Seems like the consumer radio industry went on a bent in that era to
minimize 'hot spots', or even warm spots on the cabinet. One finds such
a pad in many radios and it usefulness is dubious. My suspicion is that
it was just another frill...maybe promulgated by public concern at the
time??
Since its on the bottom, maybe its intention was to serve as an
insulator should any of the guts fall out of place and short out to the
cabinet...a pretty unlikely scenario. Or maybe they figured the user
might be stacking the radio on top of another and it served as a heat
insulator...seems a bit more logical.
You've done ok with it. Others use more exotic sealants but your fix
should suffice.

-Bill

Old November 13th 03, 04:39 AM
Terry Thorne

Mike,
spraying a sealer would not be my first choice, chances of get particle
airborne
increase by spraying, brushing on a sealer should work to hold the fibers
together.
alot of what EPA is recommending is coat it, mark it so no one disturbs it
and leave
it in place. you might close the curtains just in case on of them is peeking
in the window!

73
tt
ka9yzs

Old November 13th 03, 04:48 AM
TchrMe

Thanks Bill and Ed for responding. Ed, it is a white fibrous compressed
material. Now, true it could be other things but my educated guess is asbestos.
What else would look like that and appear on top of a fiberboard bottom panel?
No matter, I assumed the worse case and sealed it. If it is anything else,
better safe than sorry. Oh by the way, the radio is recapped and working
well.73, Mike KF6KXG

Old November 13th 03, 04:48 AM
- - Bill - -

Terry Thorne wrote:
Mike,
spraying a sealer would not be my first choice, chances of get particle
airborne
increase by spraying, brushing on a sealer should work to hold the fibers
together.
alot of what EPA is recommending is coat it, mark it so no one disturbs it
and leave
it in place. you might close the curtains just in case on of them is peeking
in the window!

73
tt
ka9yzs

A bio suit and respirator while doing this work goes a long way too.
Asbestos has entered the lexicon with equal impact as the word
'****'...both carrying their consequences but neither implying imminent
demise.
-Bill

Old November 13th 03, 07:51 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:48:10 -0400, - - Bill - - exray@coquidotnet
wrote:

Terry Thorne wrote:
Mike,
spraying a sealer would not be my first choice, chances of get particle
airborne
increase by spraying, brushing on a sealer should work to hold the fibers
together.
alot of what EPA is recommending is coat it, mark it so no one disturbs it
and leave
it in place. you might close the curtains just in case on of them is peeking
in the window!

73
tt
ka9yzs

A bio suit and respirator while doing this work goes a long way too.
Asbestos has entered the lexicon with equal impact as the word
'****'...both carrying their consequences but neither implying imminent
demise.
-Bill

Me? I'd probably take it outside, put on a pair of latex gloves,
scrape it into a zip lock bag, and take it to the hazardous waste
disposal.

Roger (K8RI)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
Old November 13th 03, 08:12 AM
- - Bill - -

Roger Halstead wrote:

Me? I'd probably take it outside, put on a pair of latex gloves,
scrape it into a zip lock bag, and take it to the hazardous waste
disposal.

Good Man, Roger. Tell us how the glove part makes it safer?

-ex\

Old November 13th 03, 08:17 AM
- - Bill - -

- - Bill - - wrote:
Roger Halstead wrote:

Me? I'd probably take it outside, put on a pair of latex gloves,
scrape it into a zip lock bag, and take it to the hazardous waste
disposal.

Good Man, Roger. Tell us how the glove part makes it safer?

-ex\

Forget the question. It took me a minute to realize you're just
chain-yanking.
Good one, Rog.

-ex

Old November 13th 03, 12:08 PM
Ed Price

"TchrMe" wrote in message
Thanks Bill and Ed for responding. Ed, it is a white fibrous compressed
material. Now, true it could be other things but my educated guess is

asbestos.
What else would look like that and appear on top of a fiberboard bottom

panel?
No matter, I assumed the worse case and sealed it. If it is anything else,
better safe than sorry. Oh by the way, the radio is recapped and working
well.73, Mike KF6KXG

Well, that does sound suspicious. I have seen many early auto radios use a
sheet of amber film on the inside of the cover plates, but this is clearly
plastic. Some tube consumer radios had insulation sheets made out of a
resinous fabric (cambric), but I never saw one of those degraded to look
white and to shed dust.

The only hazard with the asbestos is inhalation of the dust particles
(fibers), so bonding them in place is a good precaution. I don't think you
have anything to worry about.

Ed
WB6WSN

Inverted V Noise Problem Warren Bowery Antenna 9 November 29th 04 01:19 AM
s9 noise problem related to position of antenna tuner? tedoboxer Antenna 5 March 1st 04 02:02 PM
Drake Reflector/C-Line Problem Henry Kolesnik Boatanchors 3 October 9th 03 10:56 PM
Cushcraft MA5B problem Andy Antenna 0 August 9th 03 09:50 AM
Help Needed on Halli SX110 TchrMe Boatanchors 5 August 2nd 03 06:11 AM