Old January 22nd 04, 06:38 PM
Ralph M. Ferrara

Default WANTED 40M receiver circuit

I'm looking for a simple 2 or 3 tube receiver schematic, regen or otherwise
for a 40M AM homebrew project. Thanks Ralph WA2NTK

wa2ntk@ earthlink.net

Old January 22nd 04, 06:44 PM
K5DH

There are some projects in the 1960s ARRL Handbooks that might
be of interest to you. I don't recall any 2 or 3 tube designs,
but I do remember some 4 and 5 tubers, all single-conversion
superhets. If you don't have any older Handbooks of your own,
you may find them at your public library.

There's a neat old project book from the late 1960s called "104
Ham Radio Projects for Novice and Technician", published by TAB
Books, which has a couple of simple regen receiver projects in
it. I see that book for sale from time to time on eBay, and
it's definitely worth having if you like to tinker with small
tube projects.

73,
Dean K5DH

In article .net,
says...

Old January 22nd 04, 06:50 PM
-Bill-

Ralph M. Ferrara wrote:
I'm looking for a simple 2 or 3 tube receiver schematic, regen or otherwise
for a 40M AM homebrew project. Thanks Ralph WA2NTK

wa2ntk@ earthlink.net

Take a gander at this one

http://www.io.com/~nielw/3tubrcvr/3tubrcvr.htm
http://www.io.com/~nielw/3tube_xtal/3tube_xtal.htm

-Bill

Old January 22nd 04, 08:03 PM
Scott Dorsey

K5DH wrote:
There are some projects in the 1960s ARRL Handbooks that might
be of interest to you. I don't recall any 2 or 3 tube designs,
but I do remember some 4 and 5 tubers, all single-conversion
superhets. If you don't have any older Handbooks of your own,
you may find them at your public library.

One of the best receivers I ever built was just an All-American Five with
the front end tuned up for 80M instead of BCB. I would think there would
be no problem doing that for 40M either.

AA5 schematics are easy to find, and all the parts are available from
Antique Electronics Supply. Be careful working on hot chassis circuits.
--scott

Old January 22nd 04, 08:31 PM
Tim Wescott

Do a web search on tube receiver (on Altavista I do +tube +receiver, which
finds only things with the word "tube" _and_ the word "receiver"), then do
another on glowbug receiver (+glowbug, +receiver). You'll find _lots_ of
stuff. Looking for regenerative receiver will also net you some interesting
info.

Lindsay Technical Books (http://www.lindsaybks.com) is in the business of
finding and reprinting interesting old technical books, they have some good
titles including ARRL handbook reprints from 1929 and '35, as well as at
least one book specifically about regenerative receivers.

link.net...

Old January 22nd 04, 10:16 PM

I'm looking for a simple 2 or 3 tube receiver schematic, regen or otherwise
for a 40M AM homebrew project. Thanks Ralph WA2NTK

QST, the ARRL Handbook, CQ, Radio-Craft, Radio-Electronics, and lots
of other publications of the 1930's thru 1950's showed such circuits.
Just grab any old ARRL Handbook or even do an internet search for
"regenerative receiver" and you'll find more than you can build!

I've been toying with the idea of building one, myself, and I've about
settled on one described in the October, 1956, issue of CQ (a four-tuber,
and two of the tubes are dual triodes), although I may start with a one-
or two-tuber for practice.

--Myron.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTXS). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448
Old January 23rd 04, 12:57 AM
Phil Witt

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:38:34 GMT, "Ralph M. Ferrara"
wrote:

I'm looking for a simple 2 or 3 tube receiver schematic, regen or otherwise
for a 40M AM homebrew project. Thanks Ralph WA2NTK

wa2ntk@ earthlink.net

I built one from QST Feb, Mar, or April, 1948. Can't find it right
now. One of the best regen receivers I've ever used. Uses three 6SQ7
and one 6F6/6K6/6V6 or whatever. Copies full carrier AM, SSB, and CW,
and does a very good job. Pix of it under W4IMM at QRZ.com.