Old January 27th 05, 07:54 AM
Trent Hancock

It is called a spam blocker and junk mail blocker.

Trent
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Trent Hancock wrote:
My problem with the whole mess was this: I had no idea this was an all

text,
no binary format news group. No where was this written or explained.

Another
fact is: there are other pics listed in this group, but no nasty messages
posted to them.

It's explained in news.announce.newusers. NONE of the big eight groups

allow
any binaries. This is just so fundamental that anyone who has been

through
the introductory material in news.announce.newusers has been told a dozen
times about this. Posting binaries to discussion groups is about the most
rude possible thing you can do on Usenet.

As it appeared to me at the time, I had invaded a good old boys plot of

turf
and was being told I was not welcome. I have been a user of the Usenet
system for years and have never been treated as I have been on this net.

This "net" is just part of the big eight. If you did something

equivalently
boneheaded to any of the other big eight groups you would have got a

similar
response.

I'd mail this to you, but you seem to have some sort of goofy

challenge/response
mail system.
--scott

Old January 27th 05, 10:21 AM
Brian Goldsmith

"Trent Hancock" wrote

It is called a spam blocker and junk mail blocker.

*** What a pity,it didn't work on your failed attempt to wrongly post to
this list!!!!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Old January 27th 05, 06:10 PM
Trent Hancock

Works perfect, lets me do what I want, but keeps you out!

Trent

"Trent Hancock" wrote

Old January 28th 05, 12:38 PM
W4UDX

I remember seeing ads for this unit in old QST magazines (you know, the
little ones...). I believe it was made by a small obscure company as a
speech processsor for the Collins KWM-2 radio gear. Maybe early Autek stuff?

"Trent Hancock" wrote in message
ink.net...
Anyone know who made this speech compressor and maybe even what type
batteries it uses?

Thanks in advance,

Trent Hancock
KR4UW

Old January 28th 05, 12:49 PM
W4UDX

Trent,
I looked it up and I think it's a DX Engineering speech processor. They
made 2 units, one for Collins 32-Sx transmitters, and one for the KWM-2
transceivers. Here are the model numbers:

LC-1-32S (for transmiiters)
RF LC-2-TR (for transceivers)

I believe the "RF" model is a true RF speech processor, while the other one
is just an audio compressor.
Hope this helps....

73
Mark W4UDX

Old January 28th 05, 04:46 PM
Edward Knobloch

Mark, it's not a DX Engineering rf speech processor for Collins.
Those units were installed internal to the Collins equipment.
(You removed an i.f. amplifier tube, plugged the DX Engineering
device into the empty tube socket, and then plugged
the i.f. amplifier tube into the new socket on the DX Engineering device).

Trent's mystery device looks similar to a Comdel CSP-11
speech processor, but only because it uses the same cabinet
made by LMB.

The type of mic jack looks like that on a Drake TR-7.
I would guess this was a nice home-brew equivalent
of the Drake SP-75 speech processor,
with a headphone jack and volume control added for adjustment by ear.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old January 28th 05, 11:09 PM
W4UDX

That's right! I forgot about that. They did install internally. I am pretty
sure I saw old ads for that compressor...

Old January 30th 05, 12:20 AM
Ed Price

"Trent Hancock" wrote in message
ink.net...
My problem with the whole mess was this: I had no idea this was an all
text,
no binary format news group. No where was this written or explained.
Another
fact is: there are other pics listed in this group, but no nasty messages
posted to them.

As it appeared to me at the time, I had invaded a good old boys plot of
turf
and was being told I was not welcome. I have been a user of the Usenet
system for years and have never been treated as I have been on this net.
Does not say much for the users of this group.

I'm not playing net-cop so much as logic enforcer. My News server trimmed
your attachment before I ever saw anything, so it's nothing to me.

However, YOU have a few problems, and they could be illuminated just by you
reading your own postings. You claim to be a long-term Usenet user, yet you
jump in and post a binary to a non-binary group. This is equivalent to
transmitting before checking the frequency. Doesn't say much for your
courtesy, experience or common sense.

But your real problem is humility; you just can't say something simple like
"oops, sorry". No, you have to hang in there and chew it death. And all the
while, new issues keep being added and the hostility level is ratcheting up,
and you're just displaying what an ass you are.

This isn't a good ol' boy issue; it's simply that this group doesn't easily
suffer the rude, ignorant, profane and hostile.

Ed
wb6wsn

Old January 31st 05, 10:08 PM
KU4YP

Ed Price wrote:

it's simply that this group doesn't
easily suffer the rude, ignorant, profane and hostile.

Ed
wb6wsn

i don't think i'd get too far out on that limb........................

73 ku4yp
Old February 2nd 05, 06:38 PM
Trent Hancock

In a reply to an e-mail I received from a reader of this group, I wrote the
following:

I have been a user of newsgroups since early 1991. Most users today are not
aware there was an internet then! We did not have Netscape, Internet
Explorer and Mozilla then. We relied on many other means to access the
internet. At that time, as is customary today, binary files continue to be
posted in many usegroups. Just because I was new to this paticular group, I
was hammered because I posted a genuine post asking for some help. What did
I get besides flames? There are some who replied to my question without
showing their bottom side and to them I give many thanks.

The usegroups are free for all to use and under the control of no one
individual or group of people. It was devised to operate in this manner to
prevent the very thing that happened to me from happening! Those guys are
just showing their true colors and I now realize they are to be ignored and
placed on the refuge heap with their comments!

Thanks,

Trent

KR4UW

And this is my last post dealing with this issue. My stance remains as it
was then and is now, the same!