Old September 24th 05, 11:43 PM
Ron in Radio Heaven

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
Are these CDs readable with non-proprietary software?

The reader software is on the CD.

Ron
Old September 25th 05, 07:43 AM
Mr Fed UP

I have bought them all and newer ones have color.
The scanned pages are in TIF format.
The added software provides some search ability but does not
search for specific text by looking at all the scanned pages.
I would suspect the search part of the programs only have
indexes to article titles authors etc. It can only provide
search results for what has been programmed into that
search database. I have not been disappointed by the
CD with one exception. You can not copy/move all
the CD's to one hard drive on the computer and have a
look or search. SOOOO you are left with LOADING
and searching one CD at a time. The search tool database
does accumulate all the files so you can use the search tool
that is provided. But still a pain to load and look one at a time.
Something to do between band closings eh.

I think the common viewing tool is Adobe... one version or
another from the ARRL disks.

The TIF files and Folders are sort of date coded names so
you can just browse through them with any viewer that
will read TIF files. For example the folder with a file in
it named 7403001 would be the 1974 March cover page.
FWI 75 cents cover price then LOL

My Windows XP picture viewer displays them ok.

The individual TIF files can be copied to the hard drive
so you can get a group of some series of articles
together and view and work from one folder for
convenience.

Sorry not taking any orders.
The few folks I have helped with an article didn't even bother to
send a thank you email. blnt

Pay some$$$ for CDs to the ARRL and support the hobby.
Numbers count.

73 K4TWO Gary

"Ron in Radio Heaven" wrote in message
om...

Old September 25th 05, 03:02 PM
Roger D Johnson

Mr Fed UP wrote:

You can not copy/move all
the CD's to one hard drive on the computer and have a
look or search. SOOOO you are left with LOADING
and searching one CD at a time. The search tool database
does accumulate all the files so you can use the search tool
that is provided. But still a pain to load and look one at a time.
Something to do between band closings eh.

If you are willing to edit the Windows registry you CAN do this.
Works fine on my computer.

73, Roger

--
Remove tilde (~) to reply

Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/
Old September 25th 05, 04:56 PM
Michael Black

"Mr Fed UP" ) writes:
I have bought them all and newer ones have color.

Of course, QST didn't have color until after they went to the larger
size in 1976, though I can't remember if the color came immediately with
the change.

There were a few exceptions, where they'd add a single color to a cover
photo for special occasions or reasons.

Michael VE2BVW
Old September 25th 05, 10:41 PM
Mr Fed UP

OK I haven't got the window skills for fooling around with much on my
computer.
I started in the computers building my own back in the Motorola 6800 micro
days.
Since all the years passed I fell into more of just a user. Was a lot of
work to try
and keep current over the years and eventually stopped.
Anyhow, Thanks I may give it a try.
It sure would make wading through the CD's easier.
Hmmm... that's not like a wedding registry huh. LOL

Any clue as to hard drive space used for all the CD's?... might have to put
them on
the desktop. Notebook I use might run me dry on space.

I just had to go and buy an OLD memory stick for my 2 year old Sony GRZ530
notebook.
The dip-stick that wrote an update patch to read the new "memory stick Pro"
made
the patch REQUIRE the old memory stick to upgrade the computer. I bought a
new camera so I could be current with the storage. I had an older Sony
camera
that used 3.5 floppy and NO floppy in the Sony GRZ530. They could have
wrote the patch to use a 20 cent CD-R but instead forced me to find and buy
a $40 old piece of memory I'll never use again. Maybe I can sell it to
another
owner of a GRZ530 in a few years and make a profit.
They quit making it and I spent several store trips to find one. UGH!!
What a hose job. Not related to boatanchors I guess but that's why some
folks
are migrating back to the boatanchors eh. Fewer things to break, fewer
things to fix.
Hmmm... now where were my 2m crystals at?

73 K4TWO Gary