Old September 17th 05, 05:42 PM
JC

Default Tons of stuff

I have a couple of questions for the group regarding selling older
equipment.

I recently returned from Iraq and while I was there my license expired.
I don't have the time to renew at the moment due to massive repairs of
the house - empty for 14 months - and I am again looking for work, so
the license is not a priority ATT.

Anyway, I need advice in the best way to unload a lot of older Kenwood,
Heathkit, Hallicrafters, Drake transveivers, receivers, transmitters,
test equipment, etc. Some verified working, some worked when put in
storage, some needs repair, re-capping, some parts only.

Besides this group, what are other successful methods of selling this
stuff, EBay being a last resort.

Regards,

John C.

P.S. Please reply to the group. Thanks.
Old September 17th 05, 06:24 PM
Floyd Sense

I don't know why you would so easily dismiss eBay, the single most effective
way of selling ANYTHING. You will, by far, reach the largest pool of
potential buyers there. I've sold a ton of stuff on eBay over the past few
years with very few problems.

I also like to use the QTH.com classified ads, and QRZ.com and eHam ads are
effective as well. The problem with those avenues is that you have to deal
with a lot of tire kickers and others who have no intention of buying
anything. If you don't already have a Paypal account, it would be a good
idea to open one. You can move a lot of gear very quickly if you're not
always waiting for a check or money order to come in the mail. Granted that
Paypal will cost you a fee, but just bump the prices up accordingly instead
of insisting that the buyer pay the fee.

If you're near a large metro area, you might also check out Craig's list.
That's free to list and sell, but will reach a smaller audience than the
other methods. But, it might be possible to avoid shipping hassles as most
Craig's list transactions involve a face-to-face by buyer and seller.

Glad to hear that you returned from Iraq safely.

73, K8AC

Old September 17th 05, 06:59 PM
JC

Floyd Sense wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Its great to be back! There wasn't a whole lot of fun over there.

I have a PayPal account and I'm in the process of getting verified. Its
been unused for well over a year.

The only reason I'm dismissing EBay right now is that I noticed
yesterday that an awful lot of stuff (I used Time: Ending Soonest sort
method) doesn't seem to get any bids, so it didn't look as effective as
it used to be. As a matter of fact, probably 25% of my better
acquisitions came from EBay, most from 1999 thru 2002. Competition
seemed a lot tougher then, but then again, the economy is much tougher now.

I appreciate the quick reply and I'll look into your suggestions and get
a list together soon and post it here and r.r.a.equipment.

I guess the other thing to do is spend some time reviewing these
advertisement areas and see what various equipment average pricing is
nowadays.

Regards,

John C.
Old September 17th 05, 08:28 PM
Ron in Radio Heaven

JC wrote:
The only reason I'm dismissing EBay right now is that I noticed
yesterday that an awful lot of stuff (I used Time: Ending Soonest sort
method) doesn't seem to get any bids, so it didn't look as effective as
it used to be

I would suggest looking at completed items instead of ending soonest.
Most smart people wait until the last few seconds to bid
so looking at completed items is the only way to know what
the market is.

Welcome back.

73, Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com
Old September 17th 05, 08:45 PM
David Stinson

JC wrote:

Besides this group, what are other successful methods of selling this
stuff, EBay being a last resort.

The operative term in your question is "successful."
What do you call "success?" If you want to *give* it away
to someone cheap after you've dealt with a few dozen
tire-kickers, you can list it here or take it to a hamfest.
If you want to actually get what it's worth,
Ebay is the only way.
73 Dave S.

Old September 17th 05, 09:09 PM
Charles

I would make a detailed list of equipment with electrical and physical
condition and list the price you will accept and list it here and other
Boatanchors Reflectors. Just my thoughts. I think you would do well. Charles

"David Stinson" wrote in message
news

Old September 18th 05, 12:07 AM
jm

Just "how" long has your license been expired? You have up to 2 years to
renew without retesting. Renewing is no big deal. Just thought I'd throw
that in - since I didn't see you mention how long the license was out.

jm

Old September 18th 05, 11:23 AM
GBrown

After serving our country in Iraq, I would expect that the US government
would reissue your license. That's the least they could do for someone who
put there life on the line for the rest of us.
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M

Old September 20th 05, 02:10 AM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:59:39 -0400, JC wrote:

Floyd Sense wrote:
[...]

For what it's worth, on eBay, you can do a search on an item
you have, then, when the list appears, in the left column, under
search options, you can check the "Completed listings" checkbox, then
hit "Show items" button to see recent sale prices. It may give you a
ballpark idea of where to start.

Good to hear you're home safe.

Regards,

John C.