Old October 23rd 05, 06:41 PM

Default I was way way stoopid - need to unepoxy sumpin

I did a very stoopid thing.

I hollowed out a capacitor and epoxy in a new snap in capacitor inside
the old can. I didn't use the proper voltage rating capacitor and now
I have to un-epoxy. Any ideas?

I already called myself stoopid so no need to duplicate efforts there.

Solvent?

Heat?

Dremel?

thanks
N9NEO

Old October 23rd 05, 07:38 PM
Brian Hill

wrote in message
ups.com...
I did a very stoopid thing.

I hollowed out a capacitor and epoxy in a new snap in capacitor inside
the old can. I didn't use the proper voltage rating capacitor and now
I have to un-epoxy. Any ideas?

I already called myself stoopid so no need to duplicate efforts there.

Solvent?

Heat?

Dremel?

thanks
N9NEO

Drill it the pry out the peices.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Old October 23rd 05, 07:54 PM
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
I did a very stoopid thing.

I hollowed out a capacitor and epoxy in a new snap in capacitor inside
the old can. I didn't use the proper voltage rating capacitor and now
I have to un-epoxy. Any ideas?

Get a new old capacitor and do it again. If you need a bad can cap, let
me know what size it is and I will look through the trash bin and see if
I have one for you.

Next time, use RTV instead of epoxy. It's better for a lot of reasons,
including ease of removal.
--scott

Old October 24th 05, 01:10 AM

ok, got it. I used small drill bit like Brian said and got it. It was
the ring around the mouth that is soldered to chassis. Yea, probably
will rtv it when going back in.

73
N9NEO

Old October 25th 05, 04:35 PM
Chuck Harris

wrote in message
ups.com...

I did a very stoopid thing.

I hollowed out a capacitor and epoxy in a new snap in capacitor inside
the old can. I didn't use the proper voltage rating capacitor and now
I have to un-epoxy. Any ideas?

I already called myself stoopid so no need to duplicate efforts there.

Solvent?

Heat?

Dremel?

thanks
N9NEO

Acetone will soften some epoxies. So will heat...smoking hot heat.
It would probably be better to drill out the old capacitor, or just
call it a learning lesson, and get a NOS cap from Surplus Sales of
Nebraska, or Antique Electronic Supply (AES). Between the two of them,
you can get just about any old cap ever made.

Also, why epoxy? It isn't like the capacitor needs to be really strong.
Use hot glue next time. Always think reversible.

-Chuck
Old October 25th 05, 10:00 PM

Chuck,

I was replacing the steel ring on the top with the tabs. The tabs are
what gets soldered into the steel chassis.

I am a little bit nervous about buying nos caps. And prices for some
of those damn multi-section caps are up in the twenty-thirty dollar
price range. Besides I get a very good deal on the little snap-in
capacitors that I plunk inside.

regards,
Bob

Old October 26th 05, 12:48 AM
Chuck Harris

Hi Bob,

There really isn't any reason to be nervous about NOS electrolytics,
they are either reformable, or dried out. The shelf life on *any*
electrolytic is only about 2 years, so you should reform any electrolytic
that has been stored longer than that.

If all the epoxy is doing, on this rebuild, is holding the can to
that ring, your dremel tool should do an adequate job of carving
away the excess epoxy.

Good deal or not, your little snap in capacitors didn't do the trick
this time, and you get to do the job again. I hate it when that
happens, but sometimes it does.

-Chuck

Old October 26th 05, 03:11 AM

Yea Chuck,

What I did was to regard a penciled in voltage on a schematic as real.
Previous owner penciled in 600v on the plate supply. So ok I figured
I'd stick a 450v cap in each of the two hollowed out cans and I'm good
for near 900v with a pair of sharing resistors. About the time I get
the caps all epoxyed in I take a look at the new Peter Dahl plate
transformer schematic and it says 700v on the plate windings. Sure
enough 700vrms is about 1kv, so my two free 450v caps aint gonna hack
it. I got some free 30mmx30mm 220uf 400v cans. I'll get two of em
into each can this weekend and I'll be ok.

Into the transmitter for about 500 bucks now and it's worth about 200
working. Needless to say I don't want to burn out the new transformer
with a botched recap job.

73
Bob

Old October 26th 05, 10:06 AM

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:58:33 GMT, "Twaddle" wrote:

Measure twice

Cut once

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

oups.com...

moped = stoopid I Am Not George CB 4 October 5th 04 10:56 PM
moped = stoopid I Am Not George CB 15 October 5th 04 10:47 PM