Old October 31st 05, 03:16 PM
John N9JG

Default Old Xmtrs, "Ancient Modulation" and Amps

That's BS! If what you have stated is true, no one would run more than 10
watts. Believe me, 20 dB is _very_ noticeable.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article ,
vt245 wrote:
Right, it's only 20 dB. That is far less than the day to day propagation
variations. Only 3 1/3 S-units. Not much at all.

Old October 31st 05, 03:25 PM
Scott Dorsey

John N9JG wrote:
That's BS! If what you have stated is true, no one would run more than 10
watts. Believe me, 20 dB is _very_ noticeable.

Sure, it's very noticeable. But, as someone running half a watt CW
these days, I can say that it's not everything.
--scott

Old October 31st 05, 04:14 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

Scott Dorsey wrote:

There are plenty of decent used linear amps out there if you want to go
that route, but if you think about it in dB, 1000W isn't _that_ much
more than 10W.

What??? 10W - 1000W is 20db. Distance doubles every 6db - do the math...

Only a few S-units at the receiver.

Talking about "S-units" in such a discussion is meaningless *unless* one
has checked the calibration of one's meter - AND states the
calibration characteristics to qualify the readings.

The reason is there is no "universal definition or standard" of "S
units". There have been proposals - but so far no standards. The
proposal that seemed to have had the best chance was made in the 40's -
and that was where S9 = 50uv (at the antenna connector) - and each "S
unit" down being -6db. As noted - that never became a standard - in fact
today most modern receivers seem to be around 5db per S unit The reason
seems to be that using -5db/S results in S0 below 50uv being right
around the noise floor of most rigs - i.e. .2uv (S+N/N=10db).

But unless one states what specific characteristics of "S units" they
are using - talking about "S units" is meaningless (i.e. a "few" "S
units" could be 3db - they could be 18db - or more -- who knows if it's
not stated).

sheeesh...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com
Old October 31st 05, 05:00 PM
vt245

Agreed , QRP can be very cool.

I am finding similar results with PSK and helshreiber on less than 50 watts
with regular European contacts.

And yes, you can make bunches of CW contacts with a single 6L6.

Old October 31st 05, 05:02 PM
vt245

What??? 10W - 1000W is 20db. Distance doubles every 6db - do the math...

6db is for voltage and current NOT for power .... do the research

"Randy or Sherry Guttery" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 31st 05, 05:15 PM

Johnson desk kilowatt, lots of them get driven by Rangers.

Ron

To buy an EFJ Desk Kilowatt you need to be prepared to
mortgage your house, wife, and kids or win the lottery...

Old October 31st 05, 06:16 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

vt245 wrote:
What??? 10W - 1000W is 20db. Distance doubles every 6db - do the math...

6db is for voltage and current NOT for power .... do the research

Ok so I mixed db and dbi, point for you. Now tell me that 1000W is
"almost" indistinguishable at the recieving end from 10W - and S-units
are a valid comparison standard...

Sheeesh.

Old October 31st 05, 06:40 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:

Ok so I mixed db and dbi, point for you. Now tell me that 1000W is
"almost" indistinguishable at the recieving end from 10W - and S-units
are a valid comparison standard...

Well this time my spell checker got me - try again - mixed dB and dBu,

(field strength). that's what i get for shooting fast and from the hip...

Old October 31st 05, 06:44 PM
Scott Dorsey

vt245 wrote:
What??? 10W - 1000W is 20db. Distance doubles every 6db - do the math...

6db is for voltage and current NOT for power .... do the research

Ok so I mixed db and dbi, point for you. Now tell me that 1000W is
"almost" indistinguishable at the recieving end from 10W - and S-units
are a valid comparison standard...

I won't tell you that they are almost indistinguishable. But I will say
that S-units should be a valid comparison standard, at least with military
gear that _is_ calibrated in 6 dB increments.
--scott

Old October 31st 05, 06:54 PM
John N9JG

If you are only satisfied with the VERY best, then follow this link. This
particular rig only runs 500 watts on 160, but that's because that was the
legal 160 meter limit when the transmitter was sold. I am sure it would be
easy to remove the artificial power constraint for 160 meters. Go for it!
http://www.wa3key.com/kw1.html

"Lazy Senior" wrote in message
newsse9f.3726$zT6.3512@trnddc06...
I recently acquired a Viking Ranger in nice working condx.

I am interested in using this on AM on 160, 80, and 40 mtrs. The Ranger
runs around 40 watts Am carrier output. I would like to get an amplifier
to use with this xmtr, maybe a vintage amp. What should I be looking for?
I would like to run legal Am Limit on these 3 bands. Should I forget about
Vintage Amps and get a modern Amp? Suggestions please. Any pitfalls to
using a modern Amp?

Thanx

Lazy Senior

Low noise -- op amps K7ITM Homebrew 0 January 7th 05 06:41 PM
Go Amps Go SteveJ CB 13 May 25th 04 02:05 PM
FCC to make CB Amps Legal again! WA3MOJ Policy 2 April 28th 04 04:07 AM