Old November 1st 05, 02:12 PM
Chuck Harris

Default Old Xmtrs, "Ancient Modulation" and Amps

Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:

Why RT-718/FRC-93's, which are also know as KWM2A's do.

Don't those count as "conversions" - i.e. civilian sets "badged" with
military nomenclature?

I'll try asking again... what radios designed by / for the military (as
opposed to rebadged civilian sets) have carrier meters marked in S Units?

David - you've got a ton of mil stuff... what has meters in S units?

best regards...

If you are going to couch the question that way, the answer is
none. Military sets have db meters. There are only a handfull
of general purpose receivers that would fit your requirement, and
most of those that you think of as purely military were also sold
to ham and civilian markets... granted, not as the primary market,
though.

The "S"-Meter is a ham invention. The "S1-9" part of the scale was an
attempt to quantize the "S" part of the R-S-T signal reporting system.
Where R is readability on a scale of 1-5, S is signal strength on a
scale of 1-9, and T is tone, on a scale of 1-9.

-Chuck
Old November 1st 05, 02:22 PM
Scott Dorsey

Uncle Peter wrote:

The problem is a ham linear will not deliver 1000 watts carrier
power on AM. It would have to be rated for 4kW to do so.
PEP on AM is at least 4X carrier.

Right. But any linear rated for 5KW carrier will have no problem.
There are some out there.
--scott

Old November 1st 05, 03:04 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

Chuck Harris wrote:

If you are going to couch the question that way, the answer is
none.

This was in response to the previous discussion of the fact there is no
standards for S unit meters (i.e. there are reports of S Units being
anywhere from 1-6db/S unit - with 6db having been a proposed (but
failed) standard - and 5db/S unit seeming to be common in modern (SSB)
rigs.

Someone mentioned that military gear using "S meters" were calibrated to
6dB/S unit. I'm not familiar (in spite of being married to a boatanchor
collector with a fair number of pieces of gear) with any "native" mil
gear with S meters - which you pretty much confirm above.

Since that individual noted mil gear with calibrated S meters - I was
exploring that question. As I noted - it wouldn't surprise me to learn
that some modern (post 1980) mil gear has S meters...

Hence the "couched" question.

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com
Old November 4th 05, 05:53 PM
Scott Dorsey

Chuck Harris wrote:

If you are going to couch the question that way, the answer is
none.

This was in response to the previous discussion of the fact there is no
standards for S unit meters (i.e. there are reports of S Units being
anywhere from 1-6db/S unit - with 6db having been a proposed (but
failed) standard - and 5db/S unit seeming to be common in modern (SSB)
rigs.

This is bad, but I agree.

Someone mentioned that military gear using "S meters" were calibrated to
6dB/S unit. I'm not familiar (in spite of being married to a boatanchor
collector with a fair number of pieces of gear) with any "native" mil
gear with S meters - which you pretty much confirm above.

That was me.

Since that individual noted mil gear with calibrated S meters - I was
exploring that question. As I noted - it wouldn't surprise me to learn
that some modern (post 1980) mil gear has S meters...

For a while (post 1980) they appeared on some of the gear that was intended
for use by relatively untrained operators, but for the most part it wasn't
widespread. Mostly because gear that was intended for skilled users (and
I put the R-390 in that category) may as well use the more accurate dB
metering, and gear that was intended for unskilled users pretty much didn't
have metering at all (like most field radios).

Hence the "couched" question.

There is a 6 dB mil standard for the things, and I'll dig it up because
I have it somewhere in my office. The fact that it doesn't get used much
if at all is quite true, though.
--scott
Old November 4th 05, 07:17 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

Scott Dorsey wrote:

For a while (post 1980) they appeared on some of the gear that was intended
for use by relatively untrained operators, but for the most part it wasn't
widespread. Mostly because gear that was intended for skilled users (and
I put the R-390 in that category) may as well use the more accurate dB
metering, and gear that was intended for unskilled users pretty much didn't
have metering at all (like most field radios).

I had a feeling there might be a few "latter day" examples of mil
S-meters - but, yes I quite agree - the few BA receivers I'm familiar
with that have meters (390 series, WWR-2, etc.) are dB while the vast
majority of BA receivers don't have any signal strength meter at all
(ARC 5, 348, 654, and so on).

There is a 6 dB mil standard for the things, and I'll dig it up because
I have it somewhere in my office. The fact that it doesn't get used much
if at all is quite true, though.

That's what I'm interested in - I did a quick (very quick) scan through
several of the manuals I have here (Navy Electronics Tech 3 & 2 parts 1
& 2; Basic Electronics; EIMB Reference Data, EIMB Communications
(incomplete); EIMB TM&P)- and while just about every manner of dB is
covered- I didn't spot a single mention of S-Units. I must note,
however - they are from my time in the Navy - which was the 1970s- and
that's why I have allowed that S-units may have come into common use in
the military in sometime since 1980.

best regards...

Old November 5th 05, 01:08 AM
Ron H

Default WAIT!! Old Xmtrs, "Ancient Modulation" and Amps

Now I don't want to get you guys too far off track...but.... wouldn't a guy
better spend his time and money on the antenna??? All of the discussions on
power out and S units etc assume that some reasonable portion of his output
is actually being radiated......:)

Hey Lazy Senior... what is you antenna?

K3PID
Ron H.

Old November 5th 05, 01:36 PM
Lazy Senior

Ron H wrote:

Hey Lazy Senior... what is you antenna?

K3PID
Ron H.

Ron
Aint nothing wrong with my antennas. I use a 75mtr loop at 60 ft for 75
and 40 mtrs. its fed with open feeders. A 160 mtr L with 24 radials, and
a beam at 50 ft for 20-10 mtrs. I also live on a high hill......

I have a solidstate linear which I use with my modern equiptment. Aint
nothing wrong with higher power. If 40 watts carrier is good, 375 watts
is really good. :

Lazy Senior

Low noise -- op amps K7ITM Homebrew 0 January 7th 05 06:41 PM
Go Amps Go SteveJ CB 13 May 25th 04 02:05 PM
FCC to make CB Amps Legal again! WA3MOJ Policy 2 April 28th 04 04:07 AM