Old April 14th 04, 06:29 AM
Tom Betz

Quoth "T. Early" in
:

I guess the simple question, shorn of all the rhetoric, is whether Air
America replaced programming by the Coalition of Artists and
Activists or not.

No, the owners of the station replaced programming by CAA. With Air America.

By the way, CAA's programming still has a home on weekends.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

Old April 14th 04, 06:29 AM
Mark Roberts

David Eduardo had written:

| "Corbin Ray" wrote in message
| I don't care who owns WLIB. But I will never forgive them for killing one
| of
| the best radio stations in middle America. Remember what happened to WOWO,
| 50,000-watt blowtorch from Fort Wayne that covered 38 states and half of
| Canada?
|
| First, WOWO did not cover 38 states.
|
| There were, at the time of the facilities changes on WOWO, stations with
| night operations in Kansas City, Anaheim, CA, Portland, OR (50 kw KEX), San
| Juan, PR and Dallas, TX.

Ah, the good old days. There was quite a spirited debate in rrb at
the time. As someone who lived in Kansas City at the time, and who
was well aware of what was then KFEZ, I felt it wasn't quite
the crime against humanity that some made it out to be.

At one time, the 1190 in Boulder, CO also had nighttime service with
a DA, but that was given up sometime in the mid 1990s. There was a
about a year in Kansas City when KFEZ was off the air after getting
struck by lightning *during* a thunderstorm in 1990. 1190 was a very
quiet spot on the dial most nights during that time -- or there was
a very low level hash.

--
Mark Roberts | "If it weren't for stupid people, there wouldn't be news."
Oakland, Cal.| -- me, in tvbarn2, to which Tom Heald responded -- "or sports...

Old April 14th 04, 06:29 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"LW" wrote :
| WLS - Chicago

I actually get a little choked up when I think of
what WLS was. This was a station I grew up
with. Fred Winston, Larry Lujack ("Superjock"),
Steve Dahl and Garry Meiers.

Ulp. It's happening again.

Ditto on CKLW. I believe John "Records"
Landecker came to WLS from CKLW.

Boy, those *were* the days, no kidding.
I remember the days of "musicradio" (all
one word), and the top 40 format. I wanted
to be a part of the world of radio, and that
world no longer exists.

Oh, yeah, WLAC, too.

I remember the *good* days of radio.
Nothing sounds better than a fat, well - modulated
good - fidelity AM signal, fading, the phase of the
carrier shifting like a porch swing in the wind.

I thought that made music sound *better.*

73,

SL

---

Old April 14th 04, 06:29 AM
Paul Jensen

"T. Early" wrote in message

I also find this rather confusing. You refer to wide-ranging,
informative and entertaining programming. But I thought we were
talking about Air America?

LOL!

Old April 14th 04, 06:29 AM
Sid Schweiger

The 'original' License for certain "Minority Owned" Broadcasters were to SERVE
the 'under-served' Minority Community of a specific Media Market, and 'create'
"Diversity in Radio Broadcasting".

Where DO you people get this crap from?

No one has promised "to SERVE the 'under-served' Minority Community" as a
condition of a grant of an FCC license for almost three decades. Where have
you been?