Old June 10th 04, 04:51 PM
Alex_Grady

Default What's currently your favorite radio station and why?

Whether you listen to it normally as an FM or AM station, or over the
internet because it's in a foreign country, what are currently your 3
favorite radio stations and please say why, for each one named.

Old June 11th 04, 05:29 PM
R J Carpenter

"Alex_Grady" wrote in message
Whether you listen to it normally as an FM or AM station, or over the
internet because it's in a foreign country, what are currently your 3
favorite radio stations and please say why, for each one named.

XM4 XM73 Wide selection of music from the best-ever era of popular music -
and with no commercials. Only available on sat radio.

XM131 BBC World Service, but only for the top-of-the-hour news.
XM214 Local Traffic and weather 24/7 without interruption.

What is that FM/AM stuff you mentioned?

Old June 12th 04, 06:34 AM
OIE

On 11 Jun 2004 16:29:50 GMT, "R J Carpenter"
wrote:

"Alex_Grady" wrote in message
Whether you listen to it normally as an FM or AM station, or over the
internet because it's in a foreign country, what are currently your 3
favorite radio stations and please say why, for each one named.

XM4 XM73 Wide selection of music from the best-ever era of popular music -
and with no commercials. Only available on sat radio.

XM131 BBC World Service, but only for the top-of-the-hour news.
XM214 Local Traffic and weather 24/7 without interruption.

What is that FM/AM stuff you mentioned?

KFI is my favorite station, and I live in Tennessee I simply enjoy
almost all the talk shows on that station.

WSB out of Atlanta because I love Neal Boortz.

WABC when I'm bored.

Old June 12th 04, 05:30 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Alex_Grady" wrote in message ...

Whether you listen to it normally as an FM or AM station, or over the
internet because it's in a foreign country, what are currently your 3
favorite radio stations and please say why, for each one named.

Okay, I'm usually pretty quick to take the opportunity to introduce others to my
favorite radio operation...as my email handle suggests, I'm a huge fan of CBC Radio
One, Canada's public broadcasting network, with a number of stations all over Canada
and an impressively content-rich web presence with a number of those stations
available on their website, at www.cbc.ca/audio.html.

As an American quite displeased with American radio (which even applies to
non-commercial broadcasting, since the lack of government support has resulted in a
loss of some of the more eccentric and esoteric programming on even the better-funded
stations) CBC's take on current affairs, news, philosophy, entertainment and even
sports has made it my primary source of information, although that's confined to home
since there's no way except through the internet to get it. While I've listened to
the BBC and NPR, CBC's programs manage to strike a balance between information and
entertainment...the evening news program, As It Happens, being a prime example of how
one can cover the news that matters, yet still have a wry sense of humor about it.

Entertainment programs, as well, don't take themselves very seriously...there's
usually a self-deprecating quality about them that may well be part of the Canadian
persona. And (a true blessing) these programs rarely engage in celebrity worship,
and most of the trash news that makes up so much of American programming (Jacko goes
Wacko, OJ's still looking for his wife's killer, Just What was that Stain on the Blue
Dress?, Paris does...well, everyone) is just ignored...which leaves time to cover
more important stuff (like, how much of rest of the world likes the United States'
behavior these days....here's a hint....the Brits love us, but they're not sure)
doesn't it?

And, with the exception of election periods (which amount to only a month every two
years or so, when they have to run two or three minutes of political spots a day)
they're absolutely commercial-free...not even "underwriting" announcements! There
are also rumors that CBC programming may show up on the satellite radio provider,
Sirius, as they've entered into an agreement with CBC to bring satellite radio to
Canada. As I already have Sirius in the car (another reaction to my displeasure with
what's available locally) this addition would be very much welcomed (As It Happens,
by the way, is also on PRI World at 7pm ET weekdays, on Sirius channel 108).

When I'm away from my computer, I'll drop to the local NPR affiliate, WDUQ in
Pittsburgh. They run This American Life (probably the best example on American radio
of what CBC sounds like) as well as the other NPR news programs, Morning Edition, All
in a Day and All Things Considered (a program which Susan Stamberg proposed to NPR
after becoming a fan of As It Happens, but which ends up much drier and more earnest
in comparison to As It Happens). When WDUQ isn't airing NPR programming, they do
jazz, which is not my favorite genre, but it usually is a lot less frantic than what
else is on the radio. Again, News and Entertainment. And few commercials.

Finally, there's local, independent non-commercial WYEP in Pittsburgh. They're a bit
uneven, as they have a number of volunteers for air talent, and they have a tendency,
again, to do what everyone else is doing (can't afford to offend potential donors,
after all), but every once in a while they'll play something really novel. They're
quite connected to the community, as well.

So, summing up...the reason I listen to any of these is 1) to hear about the world
around me, beyond my local awareness, and to be introduced to new ideas while getting
some enjoyment from listening; 2) to hear about the people and places around me, to
know what's going on that has a direct effect on my life; and 3) No (or few)
commercials! Broadcasting has become far too greedy, now that the FCC has lifted the
limit on (once 18 minutes/hour, which is still too much) commercial matter. The only
unexpected result of my listening to Canadian radio is that I probably know more
about what's going on in Toronto than I do in Pittsburgh. I'll probably move.
There must always be the appearance of lawfulness....especially when the law's being
broken.
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old June 12th 04, 10:06 PM
Klaus Gerber

Find your favorite radio station at http://www.virtualtuner.com if you
need a reference tool to find one.

Old June 12th 04, 10:06 PM
Charlie

Favorite station is WGN, Chicago, IL. The reason for this selection is
that the air personnel are very conversational. The programs are
diversified. The morning show reaches out to ABC (they are an affiliate
not an O & O) network staffers like Ann Compton at the White House and
Sam Donaldson for personal one on one updates. You may find them
talking to a governor or senator when needed to explain the importance
of something. They are LOCAL and LIVE. They continually interact with
the listeners via phones. And they still stream except when MLB makes
them delete the Cubs broadcasts

Second would be WAKV, Otsego-Plainwell, MI. Somewhat local to me.
Basically VT'd except the morning show. Almost everyone on the air
there was an air personality in the nearby Kalamazoo, MI market. The
station refers to itself as Vintage Radio as the music mix runs from the
40's to the 70's or so.

Sorry but the third is the CD collection in the car and at home. When I
want to hear Beethoven, I want to hear Beethoven.

Old June 13th 04, 04:41 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Alex_Grady wrote:
Whether you listen to it normally as an FM or AM station, or over the
internet because it's in a foreign country, what are currently your 3
favorite radio stations and please say why, for each one named.

Not necessarily in order:

CBC Radio 1-990 Winnipeg, Manitoba. Relevant information, wry humo(u)r,
not hitting listeners over the head with their opinions. Unfortunately
they keep shutting down their AM transmitters in favo(u)r of FM; my
Internet reception isn't very reliable so I have to settle for travel
near (or north of) the border in the summer. In the winter the 990
transmitter in Winnipeg still puts a decent signal down here.

Incidentally, the CBC (text) website is an excellent example of what a
news site should be..

WPLN-1430 Madison/Nashville, TN. NPR information programs. A station
that provides information without slandering my values.

WORT-89.9 Madison, WI. You never know what you're going to hear next.
They're as likely to slander my values from the left side as WLAC is to
slander them from the right, but they'll make you think in the process,
and toss some decent music in to the mix...

The stations I actually *listen to* most are, in order:

- WPLN 1430
- WPLN-FM 90.3 (classical music to lull myself to sleep)
- WBUZ 102.9 (modern rock)

If this question had been asked two months ago, I'd have added WOXY-97.7
Oxford, Ohio. "97-X" with a fantastic local modern rock format,
including plenty of local Cincinnati/Dayton bands and more interesting
out-of-town outfits. Unfortunately their Class A signal 30 miles from
both Dayton and Cincinnati made them pretty hard to hear on many radios.

The Thursday before Dayton Hamvention was WOXY's last night on the air.
There's still a modern rock station on 97.7 out of Oxford, but it's
now satellite-fed and a cookie-cutter copy of WXEG.

I blame my failure in the Dayton CW Contest on WOXY's demise. grin,
kinda.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66